Alltel offers unlimted mobile broadband (500kb/s+) for $25 a month

BTW, if anyone is having random Alltel disconnect problems, I've surmised the following from talking to techs and reading the net:

Generating massive numbers of inbound connections (i.e., using BitTorrent) will usually cause something akin to packet collisions in your phone, likely killing your internet connection (and requiring a redial). The current phones out there are just not equipped to deal with a large number of simultainious connections under heavy net traffic. I'm told that a card is the way to go if this is how you surf, though of course they cost like 3X as much per month.

Lots of times connection problems are related to signal issues. The bars on your phone are not a good indicator; you need more detailed info to figure out your signal strength. To find your signal strength, check here:

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Files/PDF/PhoneTestModes.swf

**BE CAREFUL! DON'T CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTINGS! YOU CAN MESS UP YOUR PHONE!**

Essentially, you want to get into your phone's service menu. For the RAZR, just dial #073887*, security code all zeros, go into the test mode menu, enable, then reboot the phone. You'll get a bunch of numbers on the screen. To make the numbers refresh, you've gotta dial something (it can be anything like, say, your voicemail or even your internet connection.) The second number field in the first line is your interference number; anything above 80 is high. The first number on the third line is the signal strength (d. Anything above 90 is a weak signal.

When I tried this, I discovered that my phone's connection issues are related to interference problems. No idea where it's coming from or why, but it explains why the phone works great in some places, but has trouble in my apartment.

You can get the phone outta test mode (and get it back into test mode) by pressing CLR and then the left softbutton underneath the screen. You can disable the test mode by going through the steps to get into the service menu again.

Anyone asked them what's with these areas that will always say your user name and password are not valid on the domain? It's not a one time event, but an event you can count on every time you pass through the area. It's also in areas shown covered on their map. Seems like it's areas Verizon isn't allowing you to use their stuff, but aren't they sharing all towers? Maybe they aren't and Alltel just has something confused on their mapping. I should call them on this but I'm lazy. It wouldn't be a big deal if the area was a small area or one or two towers here and there, but it is actually pretty large in sw IA.

Anyone with the Motorola razr (Alltel) notice, that when you are in a low signal area, that your phone will just shut off?

It also seemed like it would say "Packet Data" and would not connect to anything. For it to seem like it was still connected, it would sa "Packet Data" then back to "Dormant" back and forth.

Sometimes, we would have to close the "Axcess" dial up box, sometimes disconnect the USB cable, sometimes turn the phone off then back on, and sometimes reboot everything including the laptop to get it to work!

It just gets annoying to do this over and over, and you can eventually get it to work.

FYI: We found ourselves between Medicine Lodge and Coldwater, KS MANY times over the last several weeks, and the connection there is spotty. Also, between Stafford and Kinsley, KS, it says you are connected, with bars, but no connection. Around Tribune, KS to Sharon Springs back to Colby area, it will connect for about 30 seconds, then disconnect. Same from Syracuse, KS to Garden City. (This happened back on 4/21)

FYI: We found ourselves between Medicine Lodge and Coldwater, KS MANY times over the last several weeks, and the connection there is spotty. Also, between Stafford and Kinsley, KS, it says you are connected, with bars, but no connection. Around Tribune, KS to Sharon Springs back to Colby area, it will connect for about 30 seconds, then disconnect. Same from Syracuse, KS to Garden City. (This happened back on 4/21)

I have not had a problem with mine shutting off in low signal areas but I too have noticed it connecting and then loosing it after about 30 seconds in the same areas as well, I just thought it was my phone as it was suspicous how it would connect easily each time only to loose it after a few seconds. I have had a tough time with the razar in terms of durability I picked the phone up in December and am already on my 3rd phone and I have not abused it any more so then noraml wear and tear a cell phone should be able to stand up to; for those in the market my suggestion is to look for something other then the RAZAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dustin,

Did you call Alltel to get a new phone? Did they send a replacement for free?

Yeah, after dealing with poor customer support, long lines, I finnally was able to get a new phone, the inital store wanted to give me a loaner (which did not have internet and I was chasing the next day) since they had no replacment razars at that store, I had to drive to Omaha where they just straight up swaped my old phone for a new one, I lost all my pics, ringtones and #'s however.

If my contract was up I would opt for this phone as I know a few who have it and have been extremly satisfied, only 1.5 years until I can upgrade :eek:

http://www.alltel.com/phones/palm/700p.html

Has anyone had problems getting data in the OK/TX panhandle area? Last Wednesday, 5/23, I lost signal around Buffalo, OK, and was without radar throughout the NE Texas panhandle--i.e. Follet, Darouzet, Lipscomb, Booker. Alltel map shows solid coverage in that area, but I got zip. Phone calls, no problem; Internet connection, forget it. I had my E815 hooked up to an antenna, but it was still no good.

Has anyone had problems getting data in the OK/TX panhandle area? Last Wednesday, 5/23, I lost signal around Buffalo, OK, and was without radar throughout the NE Texas panhandle--i.e. Follet, Darouzet, Lipscomb, Booker. Alltel map shows solid coverage in that area, but I got zip. Phone calls, no problem; Internet connection, forget it. I had my E815 hooked up to an antenna, but it was still no good.

Yeah I've had problems down there the last couple times I was there. It's certainly not right in what their maps show in that area of ne TX panhandle(beware ne CO is the same story). The areas around Perryton and Canadian however are close to how it shows.

As far as the RAZR and alltel in KS, I've really not had many issues with areas shown in coverage, not being covered. The area near Coldwater and Kinsely I had problems were right where the map showed that it was missing there.

I don't think my phone has ever shut itself off.

I will say though, that it's either Alltel, or it's just the RAZR that really does suck as far as dropping calls. Good lord. I probably drop 10 times as many calls as when I was with Verizon(but still no way in hell I'd let this go for what I had with them as far as minutes and data). When I'm driving around, talking on the phone, it has to be near 25% of my calls get dropped. I'm thinking it is just the RAZR's reception and I should probably get the antenna for it.

If your near major highways or decent size towns you should be able to pick something up. I never really expect to have reception in the panhandle, I am just happy when I do. I had reception till I moved out towards the Canadian river off highway 207 south of Spearman. The Buffalo, OK region is a complete void, but if you look at their coverage maps you see why you wont get anything out there. If your in the Plainview area and have EVDO though, its the one place in the panhandle you will get high speed internet through your phone. It will spoil you when you leave that area though.

What confuses me is why I was able to get connection for phone calls but not for the Internet. I had no problem connecting with a couple friends to nowcast for us when I lost my GRL3. I don't have a lot of tech knowledge, but I'm guessing that I'm dealing with apples and oranges in terms of how my phone picks up signal when used as a modem versus when I'm using it to make calls. If that's the case, then the Alltel coverage map may be accurate when it comes to cell phone connection, but not necessarily accurate when it comes to data downloads. That sounds crazy to me, though. Seems like if I can use the one, I ought to be able to access the other.

What confuses me is why I was able to get connection for phone calls but not for the Internet. I had no problem connecting with a couple friends to nowcast for us when I lost my GRL3. I don't have a lot of tech knowledge, but I'm guessing that I'm dealing with apples and oranges in terms of how my phone picks up signal when used as a modem versus when I'm using it to make calls. If that's the case, then the Alltel coverage map may be accurate when it comes to cell phone connection, but not necessarily accurate when it comes to data downloads. That sounds crazy to me, though. Seems like if I can use the one, I ought to be able to access the other.

http://www.alltel.com/business/enhanced/mobilelink_coverage.jsp

If you go to that link and click on the states you can see the data coverage, which is far different than what they show for just voice. It's related to the towers being used and with who they are sharing them with, and what they have agreed with. Still, their data coverage maps should be right, though they aren't quite.

Thank you. That explains a lot. Man...there is just nothing at all there in northeast Oklahoma. On the other hand, the Texas map makes me scratch my head; it shows coverage where I wasn't getting any. Good argument for spending the $300 to get a signal booster.

Thank you. That explains a lot. Man...there is just nothing at all there in northeast Oklahoma. On the other hand, the Texas map makes me scratch my head; it shows coverage where I wasn't getting any. Good argument for spending the $300 to get a signal booster.

Actually the signal booster will still only get you the tower you are closest too. It won't help get you data unless you have no signal, and are close to a tower that has data service.

Back