6/4/05 TALK: Central Plains

Originally posted by Chris Allington
I suppose were all waiting on the 1630 outlook and just an hour or two more of surface obs.... good luck to all today and be safe...

1630 is already out...

Originally posted by nickgrillo
1630 is already out...

And not very helpful. :p

Today has such a wide area of interest, so I'm still having trouble choosing a target. I guess I'm already sitting in the high risk as is...

I'd like SE NE more if the surface winds would start to back. Still, seeing as it's close to home (and away from the hordes of chasers no doubt descending on NE KS today), it's what I'm leaning toward.

I'm staying here in Paola for the time being, if any chasers wanna meet up with me here I'm at the Paola Library on Peroia street...

Also if you're in the Osawatomie area... avoid 343rd Street heading east.. the road is flooded.. I was heading towards Osawatomie but had to turn around due to flooded road so now I'm sitting in Paolo.. I'll probably hang out at the library here for a while... look for my Ford Expedition with the Skywarn magnet on the back...

Unfortunately I can't chase today either, but I would make my initial target near Emporia.

Good luck everyone, be safe. 8)

I am still sitting in Wichita. After seeing this mornings runs and surface obs. I am thinking a compromise between Topeka and Wichita is the best way to go. I will likely stay put since it is so close to home, but if I do leave I will probably head towards Emporia. I really think things are coming together nicely. IMO a couple strong tornadoes are almost a given across eastern Kansas today.

Well now that I've thrown myself the pity party for today, guess I oughta chime in with something a bit more useful...

If I were to be out, I think I would actually play the southern end of the risk area, maybe as far south as Northern Oklahoma mainly for non-meteorological issues such as less crowds. The high risk will likely send a ton of people northward and I think both chasers and storms will be less crowded to the south.

Also, storms developing along the dryline in Northern Oklahoma may not be interferring with each other as bad as storms that may develop further north. While both areas seem as close to a slam dunk as you could get (the north closer to the slam dunk), I think I would stick with the better isolation chances down south. I'd be sitting on I-35 just south of the KS/OK border, probably between Blackwell and Perry, OK.

At some point, I would obviously expect to cross into Southeast Kansas as storms will be trucking northeast, so I would expect to end up crossing the border at some point.

Again, between Blackwell and Perry, OK for more non-weather related reasons; specifically less crowds of chasers and storms. That and I have no desire to try and work my way around major metro areas such as Wichita, Topeka, Omaha, and Kansas City if I can avoid it.

Hey, just got word from Dick that our usual nowcaster may meet up w/ us for the chase. So, if anyone else on the board is available to nowcast for us today, please PM me or Dick McGowan. Thanks.

It looks like Wayne Sclesky and I will be heading toward Manhattan, KS as our pre-staging area. Anyone wanting to hook up can reach me on my cell at 816-721-3009.

This is probably gonna be our only shot at a great event this season so be careful and remember to play it safe. Enough can't be said about possible flooded secondary roads.

Tony I echo your comments about avoiding the masses. We are going to sit today up around Ponca...will figure out an exact area here in the next hour. Noticing how many new folks we have out there now that high school is out, I really don't feel like playing in a high risk. :)

The other fact is we appreciate the storm structure more than anything, and if we can get a nice classic isolated cell all by itself - we'll be extremely pleased.

Best of luck to everyone today. Stay safe and keep everyone in your thoughts today, as some lives will change today.

I think both NE Kansas, the area I'm in, plus northern Okalahoma have great potential... I'm torn between staying here or dipping back south a bit in case something fires up down in Oklahoma....

I'm thinking about staying around for a couple more hours in Douglass, maybe head east to highway 99 or drive up and down US 77 until initiation.

I will be chasing in my traditional outfit, KSU shirt and wind pants (both purple). Probably have a Colorado Rockies purple-tipped hat on as well. If you see this ungodly sight, it is me. :lol:

Be careful everyone.

Looks like the ICT NWS HWO graphic paints the Flinthills area as the best tornadic area. Be mindful of that, as my only chase this year was NE of Manhattan where I saw a wall cloud, but lost it's position in the rolling hills.

Sitting here at a Flying J Truckstop on I-35 on the west side of Emporia. Waiting for more info and/or cu towers to develop. some clouds are coming in over the Emporia area. :?

OAX

Omaha gearing up for a huge day....but this wording to me in their HWO is the very least ominous...

A CONFERENCE CALL FOR MEDIA AND EMERGENCY MANAGERS WILL OCCUR
AROUND 1245 PM THIS AFTERNOON.

its going to be a rough day for the public and cant stress enough how VALUABLE our reporting will be today. Please -- for the sake of the public, do not hesitate to REPORT what you see if it is determined to be a public hazard.

Originally posted by John MacKay
I will be chasing in my traditional outfit, KSU shirt and wind pants (both purple). Probably have a Colorado Rockies purple-tipped hat on as well. If you see this ungodly sight, it is me. :lol:

And the Rockies have won 2 in a row... hopefully that streak will sit with you! Be careful out there today!

Nice to finally see 70s TDs in the area again... looking at current obs and forgot what those looked like! :lol:

Back