3/7/06 FCST: Central / Southern Plains

SPC 1730 Day 2 outlook seems to think there is a narrow axis for a tornado or two. Hatched 15% area from roughly Emporia to SW of OKC. Seems they have a concern on the LCL heights, otherwise the wording would be stronger. After the potential storms form, they say they will weaken outside a certain distance from the dryline.

I'm not free at all tomorrow, as I have class scattered until 5:20. I would be there if it weren't for that, since I'm more familiar with the area than other areas. I agree that things are looking better for tomorrow. Hopefully it holds up.

Main concern of course is convective activity tonight, and how far south and how fast it moves out. ICT forecast discussion noting highs could get into the middle to upper 70s in the warm sector.

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
Perhaps the best thing going for this system is the fact that I managed to schedule my seminar (which was done in Jan) for the first potential chase day of the year. Dang Murphy's law... always bites you in the butt.

Aaron

Thanks for that!!! Man, the signs are starting to point toward southern KS/northern OK tomorrow. Not the greatest setup in the world by any means but heck, it's early March. What more can we expect. 18Z NAM more bullish with the CAPE over extreme northern OK (~2000 J/kg) with little if any CIN over that same area at 00Z. Of course, that's closing in on sunset this time of year which could present another problem. Will see how the 00Z runs look before making a go/no go decision.

Not currently seeing much of an issue with high LCLs, as the target region appears to be <1000 for the most part ... CAPE is quite healthy for this time of year, checking in at >1500 J/kg. 0-1km EHI of 2.3, and >200 m2s2 are shaping tomorrow up as a 'strong tornado' day in my mind. If I could chase, I'd be focusing on the area just west of ICT. Wichita may want to batten down the hatches before the day is done.

Originally posted by Mike Peregrine
Not currently seeing much of an issue with high LCLs, as the target region appears to be <1000 for the most part ... CAPE is quite healthy for this time of year, checking in at >1500 J/kg. 0-1km EHI of 2.3, and >200 m2s2 are shaping tomorrow up as a 'strong tornado' day in my mind. If I could chase, I'd be focusing on the area just west of ICT. Wichita may want to batten down the hatches before the day is done.

Not for most of the area south of ICT. See http://68.226.77.253/models/eta/central/CE...ML_LCL_36HR.gif ... With temps in the mid-upper 70s and Tds in the upper 50s to maybe low 60s, dewpoint deficits should be in the 15-25F range, which would support the 1600-2400m ML-LCL forecast by the NAM. Soundings through the Gulf coast region indicate a healthy deep moist layer, with the nice moisture 150-200mb deep (that's nice for May!). My primary concern still concerns initiation. Given initiation, I think the threat for low-level mesocyclones may be signficiant given strong low-level CAPE (12z NAM forecasting >150 j/kg 0-3km CAPE) along with strong low-level shear (0-1km SRH >100 in the warm sector). Forcing mechanisms aloft seem to be weak or against us, as the 12z NAM shows a relative vort min moving towards the target area by 0z, indicate DNVA and attendant subsidence. There's a chance the the souther edge of the stronger vort max to the north may clip the target area, so we'll just have to see. I was reminded that the NAM does have an occassional tendency to overmix the boundary layer (resulting in too-low Tds and too-veered sfc flow). The deep moisture profile to the south may also help keep the moisture Tds from mixing out too much.

Otherwise, there looks to be plenty of tilting and stretching potential, with a very real supercell threat (in fact, I think that'll be the prefered mode given initiation). The dryline doesn't look particularly intense, but then again, models tend to difuse the Td gradient in the vicinity of strong gradients such as that provided by a strong dryline. Otherwise, with a nearly normal / perpendicular orientation between the deep-layer shear vector and the dryline, in addition to the strong shear aloft and decent low-level instability, I would expect to see supercells, though that's entirely hinging on initiation. Regardless of tornado potential, the strong supercell potential (with good CAPE and strong shear favoring strong updrafts) and relatively low wetbulb zero level will likely promote very large hail (3") in any organized supercell that develops. Given the dewpoint deficits, I'd think damaging wind potential is there as well.

As others have noted, the sun does set relatively early. Too bad Congress decided to enact the Daylight Saving Time change in 2007 instead of 2006... Overall, it seems as though the change to DST will occur nearly 3 weeks earlier starting next year, which will definately be welcomed by me since that gives me more time to chase in the afternoon (assuming my classes get out around noon), and I certainly won't miss the hour of sunlight in the morning!

I may virtually target extreme southern KS (perhaps near or just east of Harper county, which almost always seems like a good location for mysteriously favored initiation based on my experience). Again, I'm trying to be as pessimistic as possible sinceI can't chase... My situation is kind of similar to Aaron's, in that I set aside tomorrow back in December... Again, what are the chances that a single early March day could turn out to be a potentially significant chase day? Ugh.

I expect to see a MDT risk should it become apparent that more than isolated supercells can develop. Remember that the categorical risks (SLT, MDT, HIGH) associated with a given set of probabilities changed a few weeks ago. Please see http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/SPC_Prob_Conv...e_20060214.html for more information.

EDIT: Reviewing the new tables, I actually must say that I don't think a MDT risk would be issued, since a MDT now requires 15% tornado prob or 45% wind or 45% hatched hail... I do think they would hatch the hail risk, but I can't imagine seeing it any more than 15 given the isolated or widely scattered nature of the storms (maybe 30% if the coverage is more than widely scattered). If dewpoint deficits are more in the 10-15F range, resulting in LCLs that were more int eh 1200m range, I could see a 15% tornado risk IF coverage is more than isolated.

Ok so let me get this straight.....Tuesday I have 3 classes ok. One at noon with an exam then another at 3:30 with an exam till 4:45. Then Im free Wed and Thursday. Any day this week but Tuesday and what day does this scenario choose to occur on....yep thats right, Tuesday @#*(#$&)#()*!!!!!

Im with Jeff on this one: BUST BUST BUST Please BUST

My hopes for chasing close to home is getting better and better every hour. My original thinking was that the so-called dryline was going to set up in far western oklahoma and my original target was Enid. Looking at latest obs, dryline appears to be evolving in the central Texas Panhandle. Dews in here in Booker have climed by 4 degrees in the last hour and southeast winds are increasing. Dryline is clearly seen on surface observations, Clayton, NM has a dew point of 8, while Canadian, TX has a dew point of 41. Pretty good difference within an 80 mile stretch. My forecasted target as of now is going to be Shattuck, OK. I feel the dryline will swing east pretty fast on Tuesday. With dew points around 60 and temperatures in the mid-upper 70s, Cape values appear to be around 1500 j/kg. I will just have to see the latest runs to determine for sure.

Originally posted by CHris Whitehead
Ok so let me get this straight.....Tuesday I have 3 classes ok. One at noon with an exam then another at 3:30 with an exam till 4:45. Then Im free Wed and Thursday. Any day this week but Tuesday and what day does this scenario choose to occur on....yep thats right, Tuesday @#*(#$&)#()*!!!!!

Im with Jeff on this one: BUST BUST BUST Please BUST

You know wishing for a bust for others only leads to future headaches for yourself :wink:

0z runs don't change my mind any, I'm still looking towards Enid or so. LCLs look decent still up that way. I'd be happy with a good looking supercell out in Western Oklahoma myself...

If your on the fence on chasing tommorow, consider the forecast sounding for Wichita. Very low LCL's with 2500 j/kg SBCAPE and 300 m2/s2 of 0-3km SRH. The CINH remaining at 0z is quite negliable and with some convergene should see some isolated development.

Virtual Target: 166 Highway/35 intersection in extreme SC KS.

I'd be very skeptical of 2500j/kg CAPE being realized in this type of early season event... just a little bit of a negative (be it clouds, slightly less dp, etc.) can absolutely kill these sorts of numbers. That said, I'd be chasing if I didn't have to give a seminar about supercells :shock:

Aaron

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
was reminded that the NAM does have an occassional tendency to overmix the boundary layer (resulting in too-low Tds and too-veered sfc flow). The deep moisture profile to the south may also help keep the moisture Tds from mixing out too much.

Interesting you brought that up, since it may be that tendency of overmixing that is giving the ~2000 CAPE profile in the TA forecast. Looking from the 18 hour forecast sounding to the 24 hour forecast sounding, there is what appears to be a ton of mixing that happens. In fact, I would argue, if this mixing didn't occur the model would have no CAPE at all tomorrow in the TA. I don't think heating or mixing is going to be an issue tomorrow, but the moisture probably will be.

Looking at the FWD sounding from 00Z, you see probably what you will see towards KS tomorrow. And Dallas is in the best area of moisture return (via surface map)! Taking a look at the RUC and early forecast hours of the NAM, looks like at 850 mb the winds will have a westerly component to them. Not good...while we have nice warm moist air coming from the south at the surface, the top of the BL is probably going to be getting some dry air advection. Considering we're already dealing with unmixed surface parcels with T-Td differences of 15-20F, mixing in more dry air is definitely not going to help with any mixed parcel initiation. IMO, 850 winds need to be out of the south for this set up to be a good set up. If I were heading out tomorrow, I would stay farther south than SC KS along the area of best surface moisture, as I could; but I'd definitely wait to see what the nighttime brings me.

uhm you might want to check out the evening update on OUNAFD, the guy goes absolutely balistic.

btw, Kiel, is that you with your face in the pizza from last tuesdays town hall meeting? I know I remember seeing a piece of pepperonie somewhere it shouldnt be.

I'm still amazed on how fast and far west the moisture is returning. Dew points are now higher in the Texas panhandle than in North-central oklahoma. If moisture keeps increasing here in the panhandles, I will have to change my target area for the 3rd time. I still feel that Shattuck will be a good area, but, now I'm leaning closer to the Texas-Oklahoma State line. Dew points are now in the low to mid 40s in the eastern Texas Panhandle. I will be anxious to see how the SPC handles this.

I was quite surprised as well.

The given is the possibility of large hail, and the best area for tornadoes lies in most of the target areas. I'd go with the Wichita area as a target if it were me, but generally I'd say a target either side of I-35 along the KS/OK border looks good. Just make sure to keep core punching to a minimum if at all possible because large hail will be the certain threat with any supercells tomorrow.

I was thinking the SE fourth of KS looked like the best possibility earlier on Monday going off the AFDs. The SPC seems to agree with this on the 1st Day 1 outlook.

I'm surprised at how far north the marginal severe possibilities go. OK conditions in that area, just a tad cooler and north of the warm front. TOP NWS office was pointing toward the possible threat in my area (MHK).

WRF simulated reflectivity looks like some decent multicells along the OK/KS border area 20-00 UTC before beginning to die off. Probably mostly hail...but wouldn't be surprised to see some wind or MAYBE a tornado.

Back