12/28/04 FCST: CA

Cstok

EF4
WOW!
Looks like So. Cal may get some action tomorrow. I know there are a few S. Cal folks on this board, so if you are out and about tomorrow have the camera / video ready just in case!

H5 TEMPERATURES DECREASING INTO THE MID MINUS 20S COUPLED WITH MID 50S SURFACE DEW POINTS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO SUFFICIENT THERMAL BUOYANCY TO SUPPORT NUMEROUS TSTMS.

THE FAVORED BACKED BOUNDARY LAYER FLOW IN THE COASTAL VLYS OF SRN CA WILL AUGMENT LOW-LEVEL HELICITY AND THE RISK OF AN ISOLD WATERSPOUT/TORNADO WILL ALSO EXIST

Things are indeed looking very nice. I live in san clemente but am currently in hisperia, but am on winter break so will be watching the sky a lot. Storm looks to stall offshore and tap into some warm moisture, with 10 inches of rain possible on orographicaly favored areas. i really wish i was still in San clemente so i can watch for waterspouts.

Khristian Snyder.

Yep. Looking forward to tomorrow. Chargen up the equipt.

Last go around I was able to snag some water spouts off Long Beach.

WITH THE 18Z MESO-ETA NOW PROJECTING A LIFTED INDEX BULLSEYE OF -5 NEAR POINT MUGU (1 hour from me)...ALONG WITH CAPE VALUES OVER 1000.

Very rare for So. Cal

B.p.

Near gale force winds and rain in Huntington Beach right now. Latest WV loop is showing a strong shortwave taking aim at the LA Basin.

Dewpoints are in mid-50s along the coast right now, with RUC showing LIs of -2 just off northern OC/southern LA for later this morning. 500mb temps of -25 are shown reaching as far south as Long Beach, so maybe we will see some decent shallow CAPE.

On the downside, widespread precip may prevent anything isolated from developing.

Looks like we still might get som action today.

There was a severe TS warning issued at 6:45 this morning in he malibu area already.

This is from the 3:30am Diss.

BIG WORRY TODAY STILL REMAINS THUNDER AT OR AROUND 18Z WHEN JET
DYNAMICS INTERSEC AN AREA OF PVA 1100 CAPE AND NEGITIVE LI'S. GIVEN
THE ACTIVITY TONIGHT SEE NO REASON WHY IT WILL NOT BE A VERY ACTIVE
LATE MORNING TO EARLY AFTERNOON. SEVERE WEATHER CANNOT BE RULED OUT.

I'm charged and ready to go.

moderate rain occuring here in the high desert. some areas already flooding. im looking forward to any tstorms that may be posssible and have my camera with me at all times.

Anyone near Seal Beach?!
The area is Svr warned and the local NWS had this:

THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM. A POSSIBLE WATERSPOUT MAY MOVE ASHORE AT SEAL BEACH. IF YOU ARE IN ITS PATH...PREPARE IMMEDIATELY FOR DAMAGING WINDS...DESTRUCTIVE HAIL...AND DEADLY CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING. PEOPLE OUTSIDE SHOULD
MOVE TO A SHELTER...PREFERABLY INSIDE A STRONG BUILDING BUT AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

conditions are now improving here. I wasn't able to see anything severe except flash flooding, but this is fron the forecast disscusion from LA

...A SEVERE STORM WITH A TORNADO TOPPLED TREES AND REMOVED ROOF TOPS FROM HOMES IN THE INGLEWOOD AREA.

i guess there was some action but i wasnt there to see it. :roll:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OXNARD CA
502 PM PST WED DEC 29 2004

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

1215 AM TORNADO 1 N INGLEWOOD 33.97N 118.34W
12/29/2004 F1 LOS ANGELES CA NWS EMPLOYEE

A BRIEF TORNOADO TOUCHED DOWN AT 6035 CROFT ST IN LADERA
HEIGHTS. THERE WAS MODERATE ROOF DAMAGE WITH SEVERAL
TREES UPROOTED.

1220 AM TORNADO 2 W INGLEWOOD 33.96N 118.38W
12/29/2004 F0 LOS ANGELES CA NWS EMPLOYEE

SEVERAL UPROOTED TREES IN A FEW BLOCK AREA OF LADERA
HEIGHTS AND A HOME AT 5026 W 63RD ST SUFFERED MINOR ROOF
DAMAGE.

1040 PM TORNADO LONG BEACH 33.79N 118.16W
12/28/2004 F0 LOS ANGELES CA NWS EMPLOYEE

SEVERAL UPROOTED TREES...ALUMINUM CANOPY ON POWER LINES
ON WOODRUFF AVE...SPRING ST AND WARDLOW ST. APPROX A MILE
LONG DAMAGE PATH.

1215 AM TORNADO WHITTIER 33.97N 118.02W
12/29/2004 F0 LOS ANGELES CA NWS EMPLOYEE

SEVERAL UPROOTED TREES AT 7400 BLOCK OF KENGARD NEAR
MINES BLVD AND SORENSEN ST. A FEW FELL ON CARS AND
GARAGES.

&&

$$

What a night.

I was on the Inglewood warned storm for a while until it just took off. It was moving NE @ 45 MPH. Can't keep up with those kinds of speeds in a very rainy city conditions. Didn't see any touchdowns but saw lot's of lightning and some cracking thunders. Drove through a 3 foot deep puddle in my new van. No damage. not a good idea. My wife was with me and she was not to happy about that. It was pretty scarry.

Anyway, an awesome storm for sure. It was a full on supercell as it moved ashore near Palos Verdes.

A great So. Cal chase.

Can't wait for more,
B.p.

Hey Khristian,

No. Unfortuately I didn't. There was so much rain that it was even hard to get any lightning shots. Did see some lower than adverage clouds but who knows being dark and all.

More action on tap for early next week. Hope we have a repeat.

B.p.

We got clobbered here in Dana Point. Around 12 - 1am there was a line that came through, and the sustained winds were easliy 50+ mph. I was starting to worry when I could see my windows buldging! :shock:

A few trees blown down in Laguna Niguel.

Yesterday I chased a small cell that moved in directly over Dana Point, and then tightened up and really started getting it together over Ladera Ranch area... I thought I even saw a clear slot... but I was probably just fooling myself!

Back