10-29-04 FCST: Midwest & Plains

I'm gonna try not to get too excited...but its hard when it works out so well this time. I end classes at 11 am this Friday...so I would have plenty of time to mess around with it if it went. Wouldnt need to skip my last classes to get to freaking Iowa for nothing to happen :roll:

As hard as I try to not get to excited about this week, how can I hold back when the Climate Prediction Center uses language like this...

Easy, take a look at the last event :lol:

I sure hope they are right though, because whatever happens out in the Midwest, will likely make it into the Great Lakes, since this low will actually be deepening, whereas the last system was filling in...

The last event was only mentioned as strong to severe storms. The quote is likely severe weather outbreaks and we all understand the tendency of using certain words in forecast products.. Of course we will have to see what happens but I think the chances are much better than last week.

Better Chances: 4 Hail Reports + 1

I don't think I'd take the CPC's words too literally... Afterall, they are focused more on synoptic scale, medium to long-term forecasts. Yes, there is some collaboration between the SPC and the CPC when it comes to the mentioning of severe weather in the CPC Hazards outlook, but I wouldn't read into it too much... Not to mention, why not make our own forecasts? Afterall, it's only one take on the situation. In the end, the CPC isn't spending too much time or energy trying to forecast the severe weather this far out, as they're busy looking at temperature/precip trends for 5-10-30-60-90 days out.

Personally, I see some things to like, and others not to like. It seems, per the ETA, that we won't have that subtropical moisture fetch from the eastern Pacific that we had this past weekend. That means that we probably won't end up with the warm conveyor belt and shouldn't have a completely cloudy warm-sector. That said, the ETA didn't handle the past system very well at all, so this should all be taken with a grain of salt. I'm assuming this will turn into a late Thurs/Fri/Sat event given the too-fast bias of the models in these situations. If the trough digs more than progged, it'll probably start to tap into some subtropical moisture and we'll end up with widespread cloudcover as we had with this previous system. Thursday looks pretty good for tornadic storms, given strong shear profiles and decent instability (1500-2000) throughout KS. That said, again, the ETA is hanging the trough/vort max in the west longer and thus this will probably turn out to be a Friday event for the plains. But alas, that's left to another thread.

:( all the locals and the WChannel , is mentiong clouds all over agin this looks to paly out liek the last system did... i prb will avoid getting to worked up with this system... all it takes is SEVERE WEATHER or OUTBREAK to get everyone riled up...

jsut remember its OCT}" but yes anything can happen...

Keep your stick on the ice"

dlater

I don't think I'd take the CPC's words too literally... Afterall, they are focused more on synoptic scale, medium to long-term forecasts. Yes, there is some collaboration between the SPC and the CPC when it comes to the mentioning of severe weather in the CPC Hazards outlook, but I wouldn't read into it too much... Not to mention, why not make our own forecasts? Afterall, it's only one take on the situation. In the end, the CPC isn't spending too much time or energy trying to forecast the severe weather this far out, as they're busy looking at temperature/precip trends for 5-10-30-60-90 days out.

Personally, I see some things to like, and others not to like. It seems, per the ETA, that we won't have that subtropical moisture fetch from the eastern Pacific that we had this past weekend. That means that we probably won't end up with the warm conveyor belt and shouldn't have a completely cloudy warm-sector. That said, the ETA didn't handle the past system very well at all, so this should all be taken with a grain of salt. I'm assuming this will turn into a late Thurs/Fri/Sat event given the too-fast bias of the models in these situations. If the trough digs more than progged, it'll probably start to tap into some subtropical moisture and we'll end up with widespread cloudcover as we had with this previous system. Thursday looks pretty good for tornadic storms, given strong shear profiles and decent instability (1500-2000) throughout KS. That said, again, the ETA is hanging the trough/vort max in the west longer and thus this will probably turn out to be a Friday event for the plains. But alas, that's left to another thread.

Yes, I agree that this event will likely slow down with each model run...

As far as severe weather, anything is possible at this point, since the models can go bust to boom in a 6hr run - Anything from no severe reports to a full scale outbreak - It's just too early to tell...

It would be cool to have a "Devils Night Serial Derecho" across the upper Midwest On the 30th. I'm not too fancy on the idea of supercells in October, with a very strong mid level flow (very fast storm speeds), it's hard to catch anything...

Ok im no weather expert i have been paying close attention to the systems coming in a nd out did any of you by chance here this prediction about SNOW on sunday for CO/Western NE/WY or something and Severe weather to the east on the 30th? for Midwest/Upper Midwest? ill go to Des Moines IA or further for a chase" if it looks to good" but im not holding my luck just yet... all i know is I DONT WANT SNOW YET lol

thoughts anyone :?:

Get ready, there's gonna be a Devils Night Derecho with supercells ahead of the main line, going the Central Plains into the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley :wink:

At least, thats my biggest hope - Something big and widespread so I am guaranteed to at least get something, and the ETA at 84 hours doesn't look half bad :D

Hey guys...

After all the posts and weather-related talks around NWS, I went ahead and changed the date in this thread to better reflect the timing of this system as everything seems to be converging on late Thurs into Friday. Looking over a few HWO over the area, general thought it a Friday event. I would tend to agree with that as well as most people here seem to.

Surprised to see so many posts on this event - really not looking very interesting in my opinion. Wind profiles not forecast by either ETA or GFS to be very good in the warm sector - most of the dynamic lift is to the north, and the warm front, if it were to become a play (though this currently appears doubtful), is over unfavorable chase country aside from the locals. Not that a lot can't change between now and then - but the model forecasts really don't seem to support much of an event at present.

Glen

Surprised to see so many posts on this event - really not looking very interesting in my opinion. Wind profiles not forecast by either ETA or GFS to be very good in the warm sector - most of the dynamic lift is to the north, and the warm front, if it were to become a play (though this currently appears doubtful), is over unfavorable chase country aside from the locals. Not that a lot can't change between now and then - but the model forecasts really don't seem to support much of an event at present.

Glen

Actually, things are lookin good in my opinion - I would like the event to occur more towards the Great Lakes region, since I'm not prepared to drive well over 500 miles to chase fast moving supercells.

Latest 12Z GFS is still lookin good with strong low and mid level winds (unidirectional), and the 12Z ETA, while not as strong, does have a wide moisture axis at the SFC, with a large area of moderate instability (strongly forced cold season derechoes typically have less than 1250J/KG) which could be drawn northward. Right now, it looks like a pretty nasty squall line event, but at this point - I just need something, doesn't have to be tornadoes or supercells, just anything severe :wink:

EDIT: Hmmm... Maybe I should start a different thread then, since the "squall line" event looks more like a Saturday event...

Surprised to see so many posts on this event - really not looking very interesting in my opinion. Wind profiles not forecast by either ETA or GFS to be very good in the warm sector

So it didn't look interesting before this mornings run? I wouldnt' be too surprised if you weren't looking at previous runs(beings that's what we were posting on). It was looking better then the last system in a few regards. Then it was looking very very similar to the last system. Now, via the 12 eta, it's not nearly as interesting.

Yeah, I would pretty much say a Plains event looks dead, but that could be all the better for areas from IA/IL eastward, since convective debris won't get into the way...

Also, notice that there was little or no severe weather the day before October 24, 2001...
Sure it may not be a good chase day, but I am always interested in watching how events unfold, and what caused them to unfold that way...

Dont have time to elaborate much right now...but I still really like the chances across Iowa, Missouri and illinois on Friday afternoon. ETA does show a very nice warming trend, with good moisture...with temps in the mid 70s, and dp's in the mid 60s. Very well defined dryline as well with some pretty good winds at the surface. I'll continue to watch it pretty closely since it appears this will be much closer to my area than last weeks system, and as I said...have basically all of Friday free.

Back