06/12/05 Talk: Central Plains

We're in Altus right now, and after a long battle with the Wireless connections around here we have a stable one. The winds appear to be backing slightly at my location. We've watched numerous towers go up along the boundary near the border, now it's just a waiting game. I'm hoping that the shear indicated by the Jayton profiler makes it this way soon, as it appears the best winds are about the round the base of the trough into the Childress-Hollis-Altus region.

No, it's not the cut and paste part. You are not supposed to CUT AND PASTE NOAA PRODUCTS period! The only exception is if you add informational comments along with them. Now, we're getting off the subject, so...

Anyways, we're still in Childress in the Kettle Resteraunt parking lot. JR Hehnly and his wife Kathy has just arrived, as well as a few chasers from the UK, including fellow ST member Mark Humpage. Along with Rocky Rascovic and a few others... Feel free to come on over!

Stuart, check PM for Mark's US cell #. His UK cell not working here.

Large chaser gathering behind the Kettle in Childress now... waiting for some excitement.

The cell to our SW (sw of Childress) is showing 20KT shear on GRLevel3 radar, and is somewhat intensifying and has a bit of shape to it. We'll see....

3:49 PM edit: OK, that storm is really beginning to take some shape to it, and a SVR has just been issued on it....

An (outflow) boundary is still appearing on the visible satellite sagging southward very slowly from the convection along I-40 at the TX/OK border...may provide the impetus for initiation in the jucier air to its south around Childress...

Imm viz Sat suggests that the Lubbock cells are sill under NW flow @300mb. This looks to be the base of the trough so we need to see the Anvil level winds veer to the SW soon ~ before it all lines out...

sitting in clarendon right now....fyi.....great FREE wireless in front of public library on main street (not listed on google maps).

anwho, watching a tower go up to our north over i-40 moving NE away from the good air. of course, we are watching with interest whats happening further south. may decide to shoot down hwy 70 if radar trends continue....

Cell in NW Kent County, TX showing beautiful TVS, MXSHR of 49 knots

Edit to add it is about to swallow up the cell to its south...

Cell in dickens county looks to be weakening, I wonder if the cells to the south are cutting off inflow?

I like to keep tabs on the tornadoes that are reported in the Local Storm Reports, always interesting when a damage survey is done, and a public information statement comes out or when its finally in Storm Data, to see what winds up being counted as a tornado.

NWS Lubbock Local Storm Reports so fa: 7PM CDT:
0609 PM TORNADO 8 NW CLAIREMONT 33.25N 100.85W
06/12/2005 KENT TX TRAINED SPOTTER
4 NW OF SALT CREEK PLANT. LARGE TORNADO FROM 605-609 PM.

0541 PM TORNADO 17 NW CLAIREMONT 33.34N 100.96W
06/12/2005 KENT TX TRAINED SPOTTER

0510 PM TORNADO 5 NNW MCADOO 33.80N 101.04W
06/12/2005 DICKENS TX PUBLIC
3 BRIEF TOUCHDOWNS

0509 PM TORNADO 10 E CROSBYTON 33.64N 101.06W
06/12/2005 CROSBY TX STORM CHASER
ON THE GROUND FOR 3 MINUTES
Mike

Back