WINTER STORM NOW 12/01/07-12/02/07: KS, MO, IA, NE, SD, MN, MI, WI, IL, IN, OH, NY, PA

Looks like minimal impact around here. We had ice (probably 1/4" coating cars, etc.) but it appears that 32 degree or higher temps are already pushing up into central Nebraska (and SW Iowa). No precip at all coming down in Kearney, as of about 9:30 AM. Stuff appears to be melting pretty quickly and higher temps are predicted this afternoon.

It baffles me that some NWS offices are going with winter weather advisories and then mentioning ice accumulations around 0.25 inches with wind in excess of 25MPH... IWX says extreme southern lower MI could approach 0.30 inches of ice.

Model QPF increased with the 12Z as well, and the NAM/GFS are a touch warmer at 850MB indicating a faster switch over to ZR for some areas.

I'll probably get stuck with a winter weather advisory, but I'm expecting at least 0.25 inches of ice, and combined with the wind... this could be quite an event.

It looks that the worst is over here in OMA. Temps are starting to climb above freezing. I would guess to say that there is a 1/4 on the trees and rain is still coming down. For the 15 minutes I was outside taking these pics I heard 3 branches cracking and falling down, I would guess there were in the 3'-6" diameter. Enjoy the pics and be safe.
DSC00358.JPG

DSC00363.JPG

DSC00359.JPG

DSC00360.JPG

DSC00361.JPG

DSC00362.JPG

Already have a nice glaze of ice here. No camera with me, but non treated area's are very very slick.

Numerous accidents being reported.. Heard a trooper earlier slide into the ditch, said he was only doing 5mph..

Nice pics Jason..

Well, the snow lasted less than 10 minutes here. Already switched over to sleet. Even some freezing rain as well. Not good, as we have at least another 5-7 hours of subfreezing temps, and .5-.9" liquid qpf model forecasted by 6pm.

Better go make something warm to eat while I still have power lol...

There is a decent amount of melting taking place in Lincoln, NE now with a cold light rain falling. I was out for about a half hour trying to find cool picture opportunities. About .2-.3" of ice accumulated on most surfaces, including my car which is locked in a nice layer of ice. :) It was not a big event here, but I was still happy since this is my first experience with freezing rain. We don't get that back home, but Leadville has had 10.2" of snow as of 7am MST from this storm.

Well it has really started to sleet and have some ice pellets for the most part like the models were predicting, nearly an inch of sleet/graupel now accumulated here in Ames. Only a couple hundredths of an inch of ice that was mixed in earlier, currently coming down as moderate to heavy sleet.

Thanks Kurt for posing on my behalf! I mean't to tell him we are expecting up to 1 inch of glazing ice and a half inch of sleet, don't have a half inch yet but the ground is covered in sleet and we are receiving moderate sleet and some freezing rain. Roads are still passable (had to take my dad to the hospital because he injured his self while trying to cover his truck or something with a tarp, slammed his finger in the door and needs stitches). Winds are really starting to pick up now! More updates to follow soon (I have a power inverter in my car and my neighbor has a generator).:D

Well it has really started to sleet and have some ice pellets for the most part like the models were predicting, nearly an inch of sleet/graupel now accumulated here in Ames. Only a couple hundredths of an inch of ice that was mixed in earlier, currently coming down as moderate to heavy sleet.

Sucks we can't really tell where the sleet is since the DMX radar is still in clear air mode. Surely the precip is heavy enough to switch to precip mode. Even during weaker snow events it usually trips on over to the precip mode...

Freezing rain is now the dominant precip here. Still a bit of sleet mixed in, but nothing like before. Just a very thin glaze of ice so far.

You'll be happy to see that they have just switched over to VCP 11; so no more clear air mode for DMX. Really made the difference as you can obviously see some areas of the precip 'light up' when they made the switch...

Wow!

Receiving heavy sleet and had a wind gust to at least 37 mph just before 11am...:eek:

The February storm (of this year) damaged or destroyed more than two thousand utility poles, downed one thousand miles of power lines, and an estimated 269-thousand homes lost power at one point or another. This storm could POSSIBLY rival this previous event!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Rockford we have been getting light snow with some blowing snow. Nothing really heavy yet and we are expecting the change to freezing rain later this afternoon as warmer air to the southwest continues to over run the the cold air here..Still its getting slick here already..will post more later as needed.
Looks like some heavier precip now in east IA developing.

Heavy snow falling on the southside of Chicago right now. Powdery windblown snow just began falling within the last 10-15 minutes. Temp holding at 30....probably will get a quick half inch to an inch before the sleet and freezing rain begin in the next 2-3 hours.

Well, things are going downhill fast here. The last few hours the freezing rain has been mainly light, and the winds have stayed in check. However recently the winds have picked up and are gusting to about 30mph. (Although luckily not some of the 50mph wind gusts the NWS was talking about yesterday.) The freezing rain is really picking up now. About 0.2" of glaze now, and we've managed to stay devoid of sleet, with the exception of at the very beginning of the storm.

As Mike H said earlier the trees are really talking, and soon I'm afraid they'll be screaming.

Still at least 3-5 more hours of what appears to be mod-heavy freezing rain on the way.

As MCD mentioned the worst is yet to come as the 32 degree gradient will be along a Chicago to Quad Cities line by 7 pm. It has been snowing for about 40 minutes and roadways/sidewalks are covered. We may get a little more than an inch? Local mets are calling for 2-3. Seems like 1 would be most reasonable before we start getting sleet and freezing rain.....4-9 PM is the predicted window for Ice Accum. so we shall see.

PC010024.jpg

Edit: Sleet and freezing rain have begun to fall at about 2 P.M. Still several more hours of precip.

Thread: WINTER STORM NOW 12/01/07-12/02/07: KS, MO, IA, NE, SD, MN, MI, WI, IL, IN, OH, NY, PA

Still receiving moderate to at times heavy sleet, have recieved atleast a quarter inch of sleet, still have power.
Also, the forecast for my area has been updated, there now is an 80% chance of RAIN tonight with a THUNDERSTORM possible...Low expected to be 27F.

The sleet-graupel has ended here in Ames. It looks like the precipitation will be in liquid form, for the time being anyways. Heres a look from outside my apartment.

Attachments

• IMG_1046.jpg
    IMG_1046.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 62
1/3" of glaze here with winds now gusting to near 40mph. Moline reports 37mph at 2pm, while the DVN station reports 39mph. The freezing rain is coming down almost heavily at the moment. No sleet to speak of. The trees are really swaying now, and dropping some small branches and twigs. Temp is up to 30 now, so hopefully only another 2-3 hours of icing left.

South Sioux City report:

Freezing rain switched briefly to rain and is now back to freezing rain with continued icing. Temperature is steady at 32.5. Beautiful crystal glaze on all exposed objects outside. .2 tenths estimated glaze.

Watch your step! LOL

It's now 2:45pm CDT and the sleet has started to mix with and change to FREEZING RAIN, (temp is around 27F)we are expecting between a tenth and a quarter of an inch of freezing rain on top of the approximate half inch of sleet that we have already received. Winds still gusting at times to around 30mph and I still have power.:D

Well since last report the snow ended and its been all sleet. Right now we have light-Mod sleet. So far have about 1.5" of sleet and snow on ground.
The winds are about 30mph here with temp about 27-28.
The interesting part will be coming up here when this changes to Freezing rain.. Radar still shows a good amount of precip in NW IL and EC IA yet..

We got around an inch of snow here and precip's pretty much changed over to freezing rain; ice is starting to pile up nicely.

Back