What do you do during long down periods?

Outside of those offices that know you by the sound of your car approaching 5 miles away from the office, do you still do that today? Having quite a bit of personal experience with such placesl, im not sure you can get away with that everywhere in the Plains. Remember it is a gov't facility. Some people and places (offices) are really touchy about that so im curious if that practice is something you have done in the past or is something you still continue to do today on such 'blue sky days'
[/b]

Chris, I never had even what could remotely be called a negative experience back in those days when I would visit an NWS office with some donuts. Quite the opposite, actually. Many times, the staff(s) would seem to be flabbergasted that someone would show some kindness now and again. This was "pre-Twister" time, but still it was a time when a lot more people were beginning to chase...and a lot of newbies would barge into offices and act like they owned the place. I remember this was beginning to get bandied about (the "ugly" chasers at NWS offices) within the pages of the old hardcopy StormTrack publication.
For the record..I wouldn't just come flying thru the door of the NWS offices...donuts in hand. I would always ask whomever greeted me at the door or buzzed me in if they were willing to "trade some donuts for a little bit of chase info"...it was always done cheerfully, and always well received. The few times that I was denied entrance was when there was truly some other obligations that the staffs had to deal with (meetings, etc.) but I always was welcomed back there at a better time for them.
I don't often go into the NWS offices nowadays, but I still visit one or two annually. With on-board computers, there isn't so much of a need. However, last season on a basically blue-sky day my 13 yr. old cousin from O'Neill Neb. that lives on a horse ranch and I visited the Sioux Falls office for about 15-20 minutes. We didn't take donuts, and once I was buzzed in, I asked if perhaps we could take a quick little "tour" ....for her benefit, of course. She's chased with me three times in her young life...we've seen naders on 2 of those (my LUCKY little chase Cuz!) and believe me.....she LOVED it. And the staff at Sioux Falls couldn't have been more accomodating.
Thanks for reading my postings.

Since I can't do much until school is out for my teaching in about 2 weeks, I do:
taking astronomy pictures
look at spaceweather.com (try it)
look at Astronomy picture of the day
care for my carnivorus plants
look for hummingbirds
cook all sorts of recipes and scour my database and recipes for interesting stuff
watch storm stories and weather channel
watch 24, the Unit (both I don't miss so If chasing I tape)

I am working on some movie and DVD projects and trying to get my 2001-2005 storm stuff on DVD along with my eclipse chasing and other earth-spaces stuff

I troll the stormtrack forum for reports and see whom I can possible chase with
Keep up with my camera and videocameras
Get ready for my 2 week JUly Earth-space computer course for kids at Johnson County CC (show them how to use doppler, storm stuff , take photos with telescopes, use powerpoint and more)

honey do stuff with my wife (of course ) and more

Dr. Eric Flescher
Olathe KS

hi gang,

well being on a chase holiday here in the US from overseas we dont have the opportunity to go
home for a few days or so, So to kill the last couple of dead days my wife and I drove down to Johnson
Space Centre on sth side of Houston
what an excellent place to visit highly recommend it to anyone who hasnt been there

cheers
Dave and Cindy Nelson

currently in Texarcana TX

hahahaha the other side of the street opposite our motel, is in Arkansas ...
state line rite down the middle of the street

Thanks. The date was 4-15-06, the distance was probably 3 miles, and it's a video capture. I shot it on a Sony TRV-310 digital 8, a dinosaur by today's hi-tech standards. I'd venture to guess I'm the only chaser in the world who uses this model as their main camera.

I sit at home in Southern California and look at the models and day dream. Ohhhh, and enjoy my awesome family....

I sure hope I day dream for much longer. We are planning a trip on the 6th...

Back