• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2023-04-01 REPORTS: PA/NJ/DE

JamesCaruso

Staff member
After 25 years of Plains chase vacations, yesterday was only the first or second time that I actually took the trouble to do a local chase. I have gone after storms in progress close to home on a nowcasting basis before, but never bothered driving to a target area around here, assuming nothing was likely to be worth the drive, or be visible with hills and trees, or navigable with traffic. But this day featured some good parameters - HRRR was actually generating some PDS TOR soundings. The main questiin was moisture, with a drying trend during the day and a just-in-time resurgence of moisture expected relatively late in the day, possibly only an hour or so before dark. A strong squall line on the cold front was a pretty sure bet, but I was hoping for an isolated supercell ahead of the main line. HRRR was showing an isolated cell blasting across southern NJ on multiple runs.

I was not bullish enough to be up for a huge drive, and I was hoping to stay close enough to home to be back around 8pm or so, especially if I targeted south and chased back a northeastward-moving storm. It was a completely different chasing strategy than on the Plains - not trying to be in the area of initiation, but just staying far enough east to give the 50-mph storms a wide berth and to stay east of cities like Wilmington DE and Philadelphia. It was more of a case of “I’ll drive a reasonable distance to see what I can, but I’m not going to commit the whole day and night to this.”

I drove down to Hammonton in south Jersey to get into the better moisture and hoping the HRRR model would prove correct with the discrete cell it consistently showed coming up out of Delaware and flying across south Jersey.

Radar showed several cells coming up out of Delaware and moving northeast, but they all fizzled out, except for one early cell that was a little more south in Delaware and turned right, producing a confirmed, damaging tornado. By around 6:30 or 6:45 EDT the latest cell moving northeast from DE into NJ wasn’t doing anything and there was nothing else to its southwest in DE, and the main line was getting close, so there was little remaining hope for a discrete supercell ahead of the line. It was time to head back home, hoping that maybe this last crappy cell would strengthen and maybe I could intercept it on the way home; based on its trajectory, I was thinking maybe around Willingboro NJ.

As I drove north on route 206, I noticed my area back home in Newtown PA was under a TOR warning. The velocity couplet looked very close to home and sure enough the text said Richboro, the next town to the south. I called my wife and told her to get the kids and go in the basement. I’m sure she thought I was a complete a$$ jerking around down in south Jersey while there was a TOR warning back home that she was now dealing with it without me there. The warning was later updated to actually cite Newtown as the location, I couldn’t believe it…

Anyway, I was soon in a TOR warning polygon of my own, that I was thinking I could intercept near Mt. Holly (where the Philadelphia NWS office is located) from my then-location in Tabernacle NJ. But the rotation dissipated, so I just allowed the line to run over me and drove home, while marveling at the hook that appeared to be curling in on itself as the northern embedded supercell moved east toward Jackson NJ and eventually off the coast.

Although I never had much realistic hope of seeing anything cool, it was a great feeling to hop in the car for a chase, and the first spring thunderstorm is always awesome.

Attachments

• 32C94822-EE9A-409F-88B2-1AEC79D8FE57.jpeg
    32C94822-EE9A-409F-88B2-1AEC79D8FE57.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3A109104-1D42-4899-A2FA-559EE10A3BE3.jpeg
    3A109104-1D42-4899-A2FA-559EE10A3BE3.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 0
  • A6E32194-F97D-4C9C-B324-79B809EC1FAF.jpeg
    A6E32194-F97D-4C9C-B324-79B809EC1FAF.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
There was a continuous roaring sound that started just before I got the tornado warning in Newtown. The storm freak in me told me to get outside. Fortunately, my brain told me to get into a closet. Roofs were torn off and trees blown down in the shopping center just south of me. RadarScope screenshot just after I got the warning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401_184650_RadarScope2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401_184650_RadarScope2.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 0
There are a number of locations around the nation that are in "tornado denial." I won't bother to list them here, but this is an obvious example.

The story quotes a trucker with the standard "we didn't know it was coming" -- in spite of a tornado watch and a tornado warning well ahead of the storm reaching KACY.

Atlantic City waterspout headline.png

I had been eyeing this event from a few days out, and was surprised to see it come together since not much typically happens in these parts. The HRRR was hinting at parameters that I've never seen around here since I seriously started following weather, so I had my hopes set to high. Unfortunately I had to work (nightshift,) so chasing wasn't really an option. I did leave the house early in hopes of being able to detour if something interesting was going on nearby, but the main line of cells was still in PA at that time.

Once I got to work and settled into my post, which was an elevated position on the Delaware river, the tornado watch went into effect. At that moment there were 3 isolated cells out in front of the squall line, and I was situated between the northern 2. Around this time, a nice velocity couplet was evident on radar for the southernmost cell (producing the tornado in Del,) which was blocked from my view by the center cell.

After these 3 cells moved past my location, I waited for the squall line to move in, getting some decent pics of the shelf, which had some non-rotating lowerings. I chose not to post them here as the foreground might be considered security sensitive, (but my fiancee's family member passed along the pic of the lightning I did include below.) The line advanced passed my position without much in the way of excitement, then picked up steam with increased winds and lightning as it moved East.

Further North, I noticed a nice hook develop when a small cell merged with the line around Jackson, NJ - with a CC drop indicating another possible tornado. (Radar grabs below) Then, 35 miles E of my job, the local airport near my home registered a gust of 58mph, which is less than a mile from where the lightning pic was taken.

Screenshot_20230401-191648_RadarScope.jpg
Screenshot_20230401-193907_RadarScope.jpg

IMG_8975.jpg

All in all, a decent storm around here this time of year is hard to complain about... just hope I'll be able to actually chase the next one. Thanks to Darrell Dalton for the lightning photo!

Back