storm prediction center and more?

bill mudd

EF4
here is a simple question:
my lap top will have delorme gps and their map series, SPC, and this Forum ready for information on chase day - what other web sites would be good to get more information regarding real time info? (without buying anymore equipment)
thanks!
ps I would like better radar than spc offers - possible showing more roads, towns, rivers , ect (for free)

here is a simple question:
my lap top will have delorme gps and their map series, SPC, and this Forum ready for information on chase day - what other web sites would be good to get more information regarding real time info? (without buying anymore equipment)
thanks!
ps I would like better radar than spc offers - possible showing more roads, towns, rivers , ect (for free)

Bill, I am setting up a server that will have real-time level II NEXRAD (high resolution stuff) in the form of GIF images for specific sites during expected events. I am going to try and set it up so that there is a "latest" image (with roads, etc.), as well as a composite map (similar to SPC's "comp map") which will allow you to chose different overlays, such as METAR data, watches/warnings, and mesoanalysis data (which is basically similar to SPC's mesoanalysis -- uses real-time METAR data to generate products using RUC for upper air data).

I will also be outputting BUFKIT data for specific sites that are suggested by fellow ST members (since alot of sites are not available on the 'net).

I am hoping to have this stuff up an running by mid March, but this is a "spare time" project...

I'd add Gibson Ridge's NIDS viewer to the list - the 4panel option is going to be INCREDIBLE for storm-scale analysis!

Here's a snapshot of a test version - it looks better now: http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3/multiview.png

He also has a Level II viewer, and there's now a service for $30/month (or a per-day option) that'll let you access it if you have something faster than 9600baud in your cell modem ;>

wow both sound like possibilities - a few bucks a month for services like this would SAVE a guy time and $$$
please keep me posted on the project (march would be ok)
bill

Wow! Im very impressed that someone is taking the time to do this. Level II has long been unreasonable for most storm chasers and would be quite great if you can make it valiable. I don't have the bandwith to access on the road but for nowcasting and virtual chasing I would definately be interested in something like this. Bill, one of the best sources of real-time data is the Rapid Update Cycle. The SPC has a meso-anaylsis page which displays hourly parameters. This can show you a real-time picture of which areas are becoming prime for severe and even tornadic thunderstorms. Several of the parameters such as moisture convergence, theta-e advection and CIN can be helpful in forecasting which areas are likely areas of intiation. The Forecast Systems Labratory has a webpage with all RUC's. the operational and FSL RUC are pretty solid model designs and have good verification rates. The Dev2 and Dev are both expiremental/developmental RUC with an assortment of added micro-physics and convective schemes. I like the convective scheme the Dev2 Ruc uses and have had good success with it when other models were shaky. As far as radar is concerned, I would go with the Gibson ridge software. I use it and it is very customizable. It's $80 but also has a free trial. It's free after you get it. You might want to try Weather Underground.
They have a decent feed with an interesting color pallete. This would also give you SCITS. This is free and is much better than using the radar from the SPC. You can also try free trials of 'Storm Lab' and 'Storm Predator' but these programs will not give you the same depth as Grlevel3.

Back