Laptop Screen Brightness

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop for general use, and would like to have one that can be seen somewhat withing the car when I need to. Currently I have an IBM Thinkpad T41, which in the car is pretty much useless during that day because of daylight (The brightness is 100% on).

I've seen others' laptops with screens that look much brighter than mine. I haven't seen brightness stats on laptops advertised, so I don't know how to compare. Sampling screens inside a computer store isn't the best way of trial.

Any recommendations on brands that have brighter screens than others?

My Compaq Presario has a WXGA Widescreen panel which is brighter than all hell! I had no issues seeing it while I was on the road, even with sunlight issues. The screen is also great cause I can see it at all sorts of angles! Definately one of the surprise perks I got with that system.

I have a Compaq Presario R3000, and I hate it. Of course, the laptop is real nice, the display is nice, it's fast, plays most games... But the one thing that I hate the most, and it pretty much cancels everything else out is this: The power cord sticks out quite a ways from the laptop, and it's almost like its too heavy for the laptop to handle. The end result is the power cord connector becomes loose, and the only way to get power is to isolate the connector. Even then, the problem will get worse until the power cord no longer powers the laptop..

I've had it repaired twice, and finally decided to do it myself. The flaw is that HP/Compaq didn't solder the connector onto the motherboard as strongly as they should have. This isn't just with my model either - my two neighbors have the same laptop (or a model very close to it) and are experiencing the same problem. It would be far easier if HP/Compaq designed it so the power cord twisted and locked, preventing movement. Since mine started working again, I decided it's no longer a "laptop"... Instead, it's sitting nicely on my desktop as a permanent computer - and it STILL has the occasional power hickup...

I had the same problem with my Gateway 3522GZ. It was having problems distributing power. I called Gateway, told them I needed a new adapter, they overnighted a box to mail the ENTIRE laptop back. DHL picked it up for me (which was nice) on Tuesday September 13th (as I left to chase). Fedex brought it back on Thursday the 15th before noon! Didn't cost a dime, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Sorry little off topic. As far as THIS monitor goes for brightness, I would not recommend for storm chasing. It is very glossy and is hard to see in the sun, but if i keep it plugged in, it's not so bad.

My Sony Vaio is pretty good as far as being able to see it in sunlight. On a side note there is also a program you can get from starry night that turns the screen red so it doesnt blind you at night. Nice for after hours chasing and helping your eyes adjust to the darkness.

My old Dell was pretty good. It got brighter when you unplugged it and I think you could control the energy to the monitor. However avoid HP pavillion (at least the ze5700) I use one of those shades because the sun can wash the screen out so much you can't see anything.

Needless to say I am also looking for a new laptop and waiting for a dell I can't pass up.

Originally posted by rdewey
I have a Compaq Presario R3000, and I hate it. Of course, the laptop is real nice, the display is nice, it's fast, plays most games... But the one thing that I hate the most, and it pretty much cancels everything else out is this: The power cord sticks out quite a ways from the laptop, and it's almost like its too heavy for the laptop to handle. The end result is the power cord connector becomes loose, and the only way to get power is to isolate the connector. Even then, the problem will get worse until the power cord no longer powers the laptop..

I've had it repaired twice, and finally decided to do it myself. The flaw is that HP/Compaq didn't solder the connector onto the motherboard as strongly as they should have. This isn't just with my model either - my two neighbors have the same laptop (or a model very close to it) and are experiencing the same problem. It would be far easier if HP/Compaq designed it so the power cord twisted and locked, preventing movement. Since mine started working again, I decided it's no longer a \"laptop\"... Instead, it's sitting nicely on my desktop as a permanent computer - and it STILL has the occasional power hickup...

Toshiba Sattelite I owned had the same problem. I sent it in twice and the soldering for the connector kept coming apart. They actually broke the screen the last time and refused to fix it becuase my warranty ran out.

I have a Gateway NX850X which I've been using since this past June... The screen is georgous, and it can get plenty bright. Although, it's a bit on the pricey side, it's well worth it. To be honest, don't ever buy a Dell... They suck :wink:

Originally posted by nickgrillo
I have a Gateway NX850X which I've been using since this past June... The screen is georgous, and it can get plenty bright. Although, it's a bit on the pricey side, it's well worth it. To be honest, don't ever buy a Dell... They suck :wink:
Never thought, anyone would say they did....but...yes they do.

Even among the same brand you will find variations between models. My Compaq Presario works great in the sunlight (no probs with power cords either) however my ultra-lite Toshiba Portege does not. See if you can find a store that will let you test one by a window (or even better, outside). I did see someone once that had made a sort of "visor" for their laptop too... not ideal but it seemed to work well enough.

Originally posted by rdewey
Yeah, I've REAL bad luck with Dell, both desktops AND notebooks. The best seem to be IBM, Toshiba, and the custom deals (if you really want performance and are willing to pay for it).

For real Robert...I had a Dell, and I was always tempting to throw it out the window of my car, lol. :D OH, and, if you do happen to get a Dell, don't spend the extra money on 'Dell Support', because, you'll find it's horrible.

Back