Verizon providing data for iPad - MiFi

If anyone is looking for one of these mifi's verizon has them for FREE right now (with 2 year contract) I just ditched my netbook for one of these (I will still use it, however, or perhaps my moms laptop I gave her). I figured 5 devices at once was a better deal then just one.

I recently got an iPad, which I'm using now for this post. :) Specifically, I got the Verizon iPad/ MiFI combo. After experiencing what it offers for a few weeks I've started questioning myself why anyone would want this product from a storm spotting/chasing aspect. No camera is a start. Yes, most will probably have an actual camera (like the ones that are made specifically for the purpose), so then you may ask what is the problem now? The broad problem, the iPad lacks so many things that are readily available in one product. Portable friendly, I don't think so. The iPad is big, so big your not going to be able to stick it in your pockets or click it on your belt. Because of this, how would you go about getting information at sporting events, meetings, or the places where you don't want to be or can't be carrying something between your arms. No camera, no streaming. No built in capability of creating a 3G hotspot. You got the wonderful apps, the incredibly beautiful screen (I would say), but we more so need the things it doesn't provide. I present to you a better solution. Get a cell phone that allows you to do the app thing, but offers you more... much like the iPhone, but specifically for Verizon customers this combo is ridicule when you could have something like the droidPro, samsung fascinate, or other smart phones that have android platform, better portability, a camera, and the ability to create a 3G hotspot. Honestly, if you don't want a cell phone just stick with a laptop with 3G air card or something like that. That's my .02 cents. On an ending note, the iPad is a great thing to have as a family or personal use with your Wifi at home. Free apps to popular news sources makes it much like a newspaper, games such as scrabble, monopoly eliminates the space for game boards and creates endless fun.

I recently got an iPad, which I'm using now for this post. :) Specifically, I got the Verizon iPad/ MiFI combo. After experiencing what it offers for a few weeks I've started questioning myself why anyone would want this product from a storm spotting/chasing aspect.

Wow. totally opposite to my experience. Such a diverse group of folks we are :)

No camera is a start.

Don't care. Wouldn't use it if it had one.

The broad problem, the iPad lacks so many things that are readily available in one product. Portable friendly, I don't think so. The iPad is big, so big your not going to be able to stick it in your pockets or click it on your belt.

You can't do that with your laptop either.

Because of this, how would you go about getting information at sporting events, meetings, or the places where you don't want to be or can't be carrying something between your arms.

I do the above just fine with my iPad. In fact many banks and Fortune 500 are piloting replacing their laptops with iPads for some folks that do only the above. A walgreens near me just gave them out to their pharmacy folks so they can walk up and down the isle and help you with your questions. Can't do that with a laptop or a phone.

No camera, no streaming.

You don't use your built in laptop camera for streaming either.

No built in capability of creating a 3G hotspot.

True..neither does your laptop

You got the wonderful apps, the incredibly beautiful screen (I would say), but we more so need the things it doesn't provide.

Exactly.... now you are starting to understand the draw :)

I present to you a better solution. Get a cell phone that allows you to do the app thing,

There isn't one.

but offers you more... much like the iPhone, but specifically for Verizon customers this combo is ridicule when you could have something like the droidPro, samsung fascinate, or other smart phones that have android platform

All of which have crap for radar apps

better portability, a camera, and the ability to create a 3G hotspot.

Wait a SECOND! You are comparing a phone to an iPad? That's your problem. You need to compare the iPad to a Laptop. Apples to apples.

Honestly, if you don't want a cell phone just stick with a laptop with 3G air card or something like that. That's my .02 cents.

And if you do that..you have a less elegent solution. This is _exactly_ the condition under which the iPad shines.

I'll be chasing with an iPad and iPhone...iPhone on AT&T and iPad on Verizon. The real Verizon killer right now is the no GPS option (mentioned before)...I'm trying to hold off until the true Verizon iPad is launched...rumored for early 2011.

Come see the iPad's in action at the Denver Chaser Con at the new AllisonHouse booth :)

-Tyler

I believe I could have been more specific, but I'm trying to provide some insight for those who already own a laptop and are debating if they should get an iPad. They both have their pros and cons, but I find myself using my laptop more. Preferably, I plan to get a droidPro or a droid2 for Christmas. They offer Android (widget and app platform- what is a good radar app? something the keeps you safe right? well I know one is in production by one of our forum members I believe, if not I'm sure someone will be glad to hit it up), 3G Hotspot (5 other devices can have internet! including a laptop that you have in the car so you can open up those amazing softwares that aren't available on the ipad and even stream if you do), WiFi (faster connection, no data plan usage in hotels, McDonalds, etc), Texting, Calling, QuickOffice w/droidPro (the ability to edit/view/share Microsoft Office Documents).... oh and it can all fit in your pocket. I don't see how that can't be a storm chaser/spotter's dream. For $250 dollars or less w/ a relatively inexpensive monthly charge (I think). :) But, as Tyler put it I guess it comes down to what your looking for. It's your decision not mine, I'm just offering things that can help you make that decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back