Laptops: Unfortunately "pre-installed" Vista!

Vista has been working just fine for me at home and on my chase laptop. I've got 2 separate licenses, like you're supposed to. (1 per PC)

I always format machines that come preinstalled with anything. Typically it's pre-installed with annoying software. My acer came pre-installed with all sorts of crap, and partitioned off weird. I just wiped all that out and run it with my fresh copy of Vista Ultimate.

Still not sure why you're running ancient versions of software, but glad to hear it's working.

Still not sure why you're running ancient versions of software, but glad to hear it's working.

Simple answer is because it works. Corporate America is still largely XP because of this. Not everyone wants to go spend $200+ to get the latest shiny product when a new version is released, if their current one is working just fine.

And for ancient, you must be pretty young if XP is ancient. I have a Vic-20 and Amiga in the basement. :)

Yeah, Premiere 6.5 is probably 8-10 years old at this point. I don't remember when it was released, but they've come a long ways in video editing to make it worth upgrading (Including better codecs and a much much friendlier interface)

I have Vista on my laptop and so far no probems. The Geek Squad guy took off some of the securities when we bought and I think that really made a difference.

I also noticed while wandering around Best Buy a couple times that some companies are also starting to sell laptops pre-installed with XP again. I dont remember which brands they were, but if you look around you could probably find one. Also, when I was looking for a laptop last year I was looking around Dell's website and you can customize the computer you want, which included the option of XP or Vista. Not sure if they still do that, I'd imagine they do. But for anyone whos looking for a laptop right now and doesnt want Vista, there are some places to go to find laptops with XP instead of Vista.

Chris: I'm running an HP 8710w dual core duo laptop at 2.5GHz, 2Gigs RAM that came with XP loaded - not VISTA like the advertisement said. Find one, call up HP and see what OS it comes with. I'm capturing/editing HD in real time with mine. This is the same laptop Edius uses for their turnkey editor. My next laptop will be a Mac with bootcamp.

Good day all,

If you can get it working (new) ... Great!

if you were using it for a while, and it WORKS - Keep it!

"Bleeding edge" technology is NOT always the best for some.

Heck, some guys are still using vacuum tube audio stuff.

Back