Laptops: Unfortunately "pre-installed" Vista!

CD Collura:
If you want to continue using Xp and want to keep the garbage off of the system, there is a free software available called 'CCleaner'.
http://www.ccleaner.com/download

I use it at the end of each day of running my box, and it does an excellent job. After you install it, just don't check off any of the boxes given that are left open. Just run it as it is as they set it up - works great. If you check off more boxes to filter, you may have some problems - not worth it. Unless you are a pro, I would leave them alone.
73's

my philosophy on vista, and the problems you are currently experiencing...

it sounds like your computer is well equiped to run vista...i think where alot of the complaints originated about vista began with accelerated release of the OS ahead of when it probably should have been released and the installation of the OS on computers whos hardware wasnt capable of running vista, with aero and all the different moving and gliding windows...

the 64 bit is also a problem with some people...some programs havent been wrote for 64bit vista, and thus wont work unless with 32 bit or XP...thats probably why your programs wont run, youll need a 64bit copy, and if its not available then your out of luck...as far as the blue screening is concerned, thats a windows error...you probably tried to install XP pro on a computer specifically designed for vista and it didnt know what to do...im no computer expert but atleast you took it back to the store instead of busting it up...

what a story, im sorry that happened bro...ive been down that road before, the new phone and camera i bought looked so cool but turned out to be really difficult to use in real life...all and all, its a brand new operating system...someone who has used a PC their whole life would find a different OS different and possible difficult to use...bottom line is, you have to try to take the time to learn the way of the modern world...vista will be replaced by windows seven i believe, and if you keep using XP it wont be long before its left behind altogether...

my plan for my next laptop is get a mac... Then set it up to run windows and ubuntu inside the mac os. That way I don't have to repartition anything. I have a friend who does this and am jelous. That way if I don't like on operating system I will switch to another.

as far as the blue screening is concerned, thats a windows error...you probably tried to install XP pro on a computer specifically designed for vista and it didnt know what to do...im no computer expert but atleast you took it back to the store instead of busting it up...

A blue screen of death isn't always a windows error, they can occur for other reasons such as bad memory or drivers conflict. I've seen corrupted video drivers cause a blue screen of death. Also there is no such thing as a computer specifically designed for Vista, a computer is built to meet the requirements for Vista to run, but beyond that if it can run Vista then it will have no problems running XP.

Chris, there has to be some problems with something other than Vista on your computer. Every one of my programs that I had on my XP machine runs fine with Vista. I even have some older programs like Photostudio 2000 and Delorme Street Atlas 2005 that runs great with Vista. Like some have said here, check for updates on drivers. Vista's not the problem here.

Good day all,

Thanks for your opinions and advice on this subject. First of all, the problem might be exactly as specified, all the trials and bloat-ware (crap) that is shoved down your throat on a new PC / Laptop :-(

First of all, that's EXACTLY what I did ... Attempted to do the restore CD's and re-install ONLY Vista. Unfortunately, this is what I ran into...

There were no CD's that came with the Laptop. Sony has a partition on the hard-drive (about 10 GB) that contains an install "image". When you first run the computer, you use this to create the backup CD's.

Second, there is no pick-and-choose with the CD's when you restore the system. My old laptop allowed an OS only option, where you do an install and "un-check" MS Works, AOL, and all the junk - Except for the OS (which has the drivers) ... Worked great. This go-around, there was two options, a "complete install" and "factory-default" ... Both installed the OS AND the "garbage" in both cases, the latter less the windows updates. This might be a Sony Vaio thing (or others as well) on laptops sold in stores for the "average joe".

I will research a bit more on this to only get a Vaio that ONLY has the OS and drivers for that laptop. If Sony cannot do that, then I'll go with a Dell (as we use those at my workplace and can get one discounted).

I agree with running ONLY vista on this and not the other BS that is shipped with these laptops (in retail) as I am a storm chaser and IT person and can figure out how to use a computer for video / navigation and don't need "granny's AOL" companion 30-day trial ;-)

Thanks guys,

Last edited by a moderator:
Call up sony and ask for the OS CD. If they are anything like Dell they will send you one. If this doesn't fix your problems then you need to return your laptop:)

My new HP laptop I bought a month or so ago is the same way. It has no operating system CD. It's just like what Christopher described.

Most manufacturers don't send the restore CD's anymore. Millions of PC's/laptops with millions of CD's = millions of dollars. They wait for someone to have an issue then send a CD if they are under warranty - if not, they'll ask for a few hundred dollars to reinstall the OS. ALWAYS ask for the restore CD within the warranty period even if you don't need it.

Good day all,

Call up sony and ask for the OS CD. If they are anything like Dell they will send you one. If this doesn't fix your problems then you need to return your laptop:)

I just returned the laptop ... Ate the $125 restock-fee for Geek squad and called it quits.

vista-cracked.jpg

Bummer...

For future reference, when ordering a Sony VAIO, you can get the free "Fresh Start" option that will install only the basic OS and hardware drivers - no bloatware at all.

One correction on RAM in XP... it only "sees" 3.5 GB if you have 4GB+ in your laptop. XP will absolutely fly on a laptop with a Core2 Duo processor and 4GB ram.

The main reasons some people want to keep XP is because it is familiar... been around for over 7 years now... lots of driver support, etc. Also, people don't want to spend money to upgrade programs that they know, or spent a load on just a few years ago.

Chris mentioned Adobe 6.5... who cares how old it is? If he knows the program, knows it works on XP, and it does what he needs, he shouldn't have to buy another grand worth of Adobe products just so it works on his $800 laptop :)

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I am a Dell reseller and can get good deals on new laptops that still have XP, come with reinstall CD's, etc. Shoot me a PM or email if interested. (oh, and NEVER buy anything from Best Buy if you can stand to wait and do some online searching. I've found better deals, sometimes 50% lower than BB, by "touching" the products at the store, writing down model numbers, then Googling when I get home)

I have two Dell laptops and one Dell desktop, all with Vista Business 32-bit, and they run absolutely great. Never had a single issue with anything, and runs exceptionally fast.

Chris, I think you had a bum laptop (hardware) combined with all the trial-ware crap. Try a different brand laptop.

Well, we got Windows 7 coming out in '09. Will be interesting to see what that one looks like.

BTW, Kory is correct. On our systems at work that have Core2 Duo and 4 GB of ram, XP is a screamer. Dell is still selling XP on certain models until sometime in '10, as a "downgrade license" which means you are still buying Vista but you are allowed to use XP and Dell will load XP on it. You can install Vista anytime thereafter.

Chris, that was a real scream!
I enjoyed every minute of it. The two best parts were the the MicroShlump guy at the beginng saying 'WHOA'- after the Blue Screen Of Death. And the other is Bill Gates catching a pie in the face. I'm glad that you are keeping your sense of humor up, I know I would be off the hook in a situation like that - too...

I own a Hp w/Xp that I got at TigerDirect. I think they still have some laptops that come with Xp. Maybe you want to check them out. If they are out, then maybe a Hp w/4Gb RAM and spend the xtra $90 for the Xp home edition. (I like the Hp's; they are relatively inexpensive and have a real decent quality level.) That way, you would be assured of a clean install too. It is cheaper and every bit as effective as the Xp Pro, ran it on a couple of friends/family boxes and they just love it! Just some thoughts...

Back