GPS Tech - Common GPS issues

Thanks Ben and Mark! The GPSDIRECT seems to have revived BU-353-S4. I will have to do a test "drive" - literally! - to make sure all is well as it had a habit of glitches, but will definitely keep the BU353W10 in my "save for later" queue in case I need to grab that. Thanks, navigation is the big thing for me when chasing.
I was going to ask if you can download maps in Maps - found the answer and have those downloading. Any other tips and tricks for that?

I had not even realized you could download maps. That's freaking awesome, as it did cause a little grief in a no cell service area up by Pryor. Downloading all the states now!

No other real tricks. I'm off in search of how to change the colors on the map, because colorblindness isn't very friendly with their current scheme and I don't like dark mode.

Ben, am I understanding correctly that the GPSDirect driver will essentially translate (for example) the BU-353-S4 into something that can be used by Maps? I didn't realize you could download maps either. That (and the wait time for the W10 when I bought the S4) was a big reason why I just got the S4 and didn't bother with the W10. I might have been willing to wait for a W10 had I known you could download maps in Maps, but if this is a workaround, then I'll be busy setting that up this week on the chase laptop.

There's a new model out from Global Sat called the BU-353-W10 (IIRC) that uses Windows Location Services (WLS) vs Delorme or Microsoft Streets and Trips and works with the more current mapping applications. We were left in the lurch when Delorme sold out and left to find a new way. So far, that's the best solution I've heard of. Here's an Amazon link if you're interested in getting one.
That's interesting that you got it to work. I tried with no luck and lots of others on Amazon had trouble. Had to go back with the S4 and use Streets and trips.

Hopefully this will help others with a detailed explanation of downloading maps in Windows 10, as mentioned above.
Downloading the maps was the first thing I did, just never could get s4 or w10 puck to work with them.

So I downloaded the GPSDirect and tried it on my BU-353S4 and it worked for the day. As the unit has been dicey I decided to get the BU-353W10. So I uninstalled GPDirect hoping it would work all by itself. It doesn't. Same thing as the S4 - red blinking light and no data coming in to Franson Gate. So I tried reinstalling GPSDirect but now all I get is the spinning wheel of death and (not responding) on the GPSComplete window. So now I have 2 GPS pucks that aren't working and storm chase season is almost over. Any other ideas? I have spent hours trying to figure this out.

I’ve been thinking about this and believe you could either use the GPS Splitter with one of your pucks or the Plugin if you were inclined to use the Windows Location API. See here for the download of both components and to decide which one you want.

I believe what may be at the crux of your issue is some old and/or outdated settings. I’d locate those settings (usually an XML file) according to these instructions and delete them. Then when everything is connected run the “Setup Wizard” to reconnect your chosen GPS unit and hopefully it will start working again. Let us know how it turns out.

I’ve been thinking about this and believe you could either use the GPS Splitter with one of your pucks or the Plugin if you were inclined to use the Windows Location API. See here for the download of both components and to decide which one you want.

I believe what may be at the crux of your issue is some old and/or outdated settings. I’d locate those settings (usually an XML file) according to these instructions and delete them. Then when everything is connected run the “Setup Wizard” to reconnect your chosen GPS unit and hopefully it will start working again. Let us know how it turns out.
I'll probably delve into that, I have Franson Gate installed - at one point it was green and saying data was coming in fine, then it stopped. BUT along with issues of Verizons hotspot data only lasting a few days though unlimited on the actual device I think the best bet is next year to get a tablet with GPS and a sim card.

Me too. I have Franson GPSGate on my laptop but it seems they've changed the names which only confuses most lay people. I ordered the W10 puck but haven't installed it yet. My old BT puck from Delorme works so good I'm afraid to mess with it!

Plus with 5G slowly rolling out may as well go new next year. Apparently 5G expected to be as large an impact as 3G was. You should be able to download a full HD movie in seconds - been reading up on stock investing reports!

Plus with 5G slowly rolling out may as well go new next year. Apparently 5G expected to be as large an impact as 3G was. You should be able to download a full HD movie in seconds - been reading up on stock investing reports!

That's actually why I've been holding off on upgrading my iPhone. My 8 Plus still functions fine (need to replace the screen due to cracks though), but I'm not willing to buy a new one knowing 5G models aren't that far in the future. My tablet (Galaxy Tab S4) will be up for upgrade soon as well and I'll be holding off for the same reason. Figure if I'm going to spend that kind of money, might as well hold off till the next generation chips are in them.

With that said, I do often use my Tab S4 for SN via RadarScope instead of going through my laptop. It's just easier that way for me since I always have both tablet and laptop with me on chase days.

You have to run the application/.exe file again with the GPS Direct driver to uninstall. You still need to run 2 hardware pucks if you want to do it that way, which is what I technically do in my car. I also am running the gpsdirect driver. That .exe file is also how you set input com port... So I created a virtual com port 9 in gpsgate and use 9 as the gpsdirect input. Then I can figure out what port the actual hardware is on and get that into gpsgate.

Thank you Ben. I’m not sure if I completely understand but you’re running the setup whereas I’m not so I trust your advice. Online support is an animal unto itself as a guy is never quite sure of all of the variables involved. ;)

Back