• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

GPS Tech - Common GPS issues

Hi,

Has anyone successfully used the Novatel 4620L Verizon MiFi device as a GPS? There is a function you can enable!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-55860/

After a bit of playing around and having it go from a 'cold start' it seemed to be okay but with streaming data cutting out every minute for a bit. EarthBridge for some reason didn't like the NMEA feed it was getting from GPSGate... but the SpotterNetwork and GrLevel3 apps seemed to work with it OK. Would be nice to get rid of the Garmin 18 USB with an aging plug and system susceptible to BSODs thanks to it in the middle of a chase!

I haven't used EarthBridge before, but looking at the support page I have a couple of ideas. EarthBridge was last updated in February 2006, so I have to wonder if it might be the cause of any BSODs you're receiving as that's some pretty old and buggy code. Secondly, I have to wonder if Google Earth even needs EarthBridge anymore in order to pick up a GPS stream from GPSGate.

You could try taking EarthBridge out of the equation as a first step, then delete your GPSGate settings by deleting the XML file where the settings are stored. This is somewhat OS dependent as to where the XML file is stored, so if you chime in with that information I can point you in the right direction. Then you'd reboot and run the GPSGate setup wizard again to detect your Garmin unit and setup new virtual ports and such. I'm not sure it'll work but it's worth a shot.

Hi,

Has anyone successfully used the Novatel 4620L Verizon MiFi device as a GPS? There is a function you can enable!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-55860/

After a bit of playing around and having it go from a 'cold start' it seemed to be okay but with streaming data cutting out every minute for a bit. EarthBridge for some reason didn't like the NMEA feed it was getting from GPSGate... but the SpotterNetwork and GrLevel3 apps seemed to work with it OK. Would be nice to get rid of the Garmin 18 USB with an aging plug and system susceptible to BSODs thanks to it in the middle of a chase!
I used the 4620L all spring with no issues with GPS Gate. With my new hotspot, I'm using Bluetooth GPS from my phone.

I have the BU-353 and I am trying to use it on Windows 10 ... no go.

Is anyone using a USB GPS in Windows 10 yet? If so please advise so I can purchase one.

I have the BU-353 and I am trying to use it on Windows 10 ... no go.

Is anyone using a USB GPS in Windows 10 yet? If so please advise so I can purchase one.

You need the BU-353-S4.

If you want to pipe the NMEA data from it into the newer Windows Location Services infrastructure then you can use GPSDirect. This is only necessary if you want to use the device with the Windows Store apps like Maps.

Outstanding thank you ... I take it it works with GPSGate?

Yes. I have the BU-353-S4 and GPSGate working together in Windows 10.

And remember to set GPSGate to forward to a port number less than 10 otherwise GRLevel3 can't see it. That's a bug in GRL3 that Mike is aware of, but I'm not sure he's fixed yet.

You can make the bu353 work in Windows 10 but you have to use some ancient drivers and sometimes you have to reinstall if they get wiped out.

For $35 or so, get the s4. Be advised the USB cable is fragile! I bought a short 1 foot USB extender from Amazon and used black tape to tape them together

Sent from my XT1254 using Stormtrack mobile app

Hello everyone,
I am having trouble setting up GPS tracking in GR2Analyst and StormLab. I downloaded Franson GPS Gate 2.6 and set it up to work with my GPS puck. I am receiving data from the puck and the software works with Google Earth. Gibson Ridge software sees the virtual port and accepts it but never acquires data. StormLab sees the port and acquires data from all of the satellites in view but never locks in on a location, displays "Awaiting Fix". Any suggestions on how to setup GPS Gate to be compatible with my software?... Thanks.

What brand and model of GPS puck are you using? I’m just wondering if the correct drivers are installed but that’s only a hunch.

What brand and model of GPS puck are you using? I’m just wondering if the correct drivers are installed but that’s only a hunch.
I am using the U-Blox GNSS Location Sensor. I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturers website and the device works in windows with the software provided as well as in Google Earth.

I’ve spent the last two plus hours looking at the U-Blox website and everything I saw there looks like a module that would go into a GPS unit. Kind of similar to a memory module or M2 SSD when you upgrade your PC or laptop. It looks to me like they’re an OEM supplier that sells the location modules to others who’d build the final product (i.e. a GPS puck). From some of the support questions I reviewed others have had the same issues you’ve had and it sounds like the modules create virtual COM ports in Device Manager that you can connect to. It also sounds like you need their software in order to use an NMEA-0183 signal rather than their GNSS. It seems to me that introducing GPSGate into the equation might be problematic because you’d be creating virtual COM ports from virtual COM ports.

If someone else is using this brand please chime in. Otherwise, I’m tempted to say punt that thing and get a US Global Sat and rid yourself of this brain damage.

I’ve spent the last two plus hours looking at the U-Blox website and everything I saw there looks like a module that would go into a GPS unit. Kind of similar to a memory module or M2 SSD when you upgrade your PC or laptop. It looks to me like they’re an OEM supplier that sells the location modules to others who’d build the final product (i.e. a GPS puck). From some of the support questions I reviewed others have had the same issues you’ve had and it sounds like the modules create virtual COM ports in Device Manager that you can connect to. It also sounds like you need their software in order to use an NMEA-0183 signal rather than their GNSS. It seems to me that introducing GPSGate into the equation might be problematic because you’d be creating virtual COM ports from virtual COM ports.

If someone else is using this brand please chime in. Otherwise, I’m tempted to say punt that thing and get a US Global Sat and rid yourself of this brain damage.

Thanks for your time and sorry for taking so long to get back. I finally had some time to play with my pc again and I found a solution to my problem. In GPS Gate I changed the input from the virtual com port that the USB puck is connected to Windows Location API. GPS is working spot on in both GR2Analyst and StormLab. Thanks again for your time and hopefully this will others.

I’m glad you got it fixed because I missed the mark on how to correct any issues you were having. I believe these new location APIs are slowly replacing GPS units because what could be better than free, not to mention they’re baked into the OS. Thanks for sharing so others can benefit from your experience. We appreciate it!

Dear Chasers and Weather Family ......... OK has anyone "YET" Solved the problem of a "GPS system" that is going to operate Flawlessly on WINDOWS 10 YET ???????????. This issue has been plaguing me for some time now !!!!! . I am looking at a New and updated and improved Laptop computer for 2020 hopefully !!!! and the options that I have seen so far are not great :( :( . Has anyone out there managed to conquer this issue !!!!! while operating on a Windows 10 system ???????. I would very much like to hear from anyone who might have some ideas of which route to go or which route to try ??????. I loved Street Atlas 2015 and I am open to using my WIN 7 Laptop to provide Navigation while I use my WIN 10 Laptop to provide Radar and other stuff if I have to but I was hoping that there is a way to run everything - Radar,Navigation and other stuff off of the WIN 10 New Laptop ???????? Anyone out there have a answer to this delima ??????. I would sure like to hear some answers on this from any of you guys. Thanks

Shawn C.

"FOX 4-WARN SENIOR STORMTRACKER"

"FOX4NEWS.COM"

"THE WEATHER AND NEWS STATION IN DFW"

I'd be open to recommendations too. My BU-353S4 has decided not to work this year, was fine last year (by fine it did keep randomly sticking my at Denver airport for short periods). Can't install roads and maps on this laptop as it says it is no longer supported. I have been using GRLevel road maps and "Maps" app on my laptop.

There's a new model out from Global Sat called the BU-353-W10 (IIRC) that uses Windows Location Services (WLS) vs Delorme or Microsoft Streets and Trips (and associated GPS pucks) and works with the more current mapping applications. We were left in the lurch when Delorme sold out and left to find a new way. So far, that's the best solution I've heard of. Here's an Amazon link if you're interested in getting one.

I've been fully Maps this year. I have the BU353W10 hardware GPS puck hardwired to my chase computer, but I also have a GPSDirect driver which allows me to create a virtual serial port in GPSGate, then connect that driver to the COM Port of the Virtual Serial Port. This has also worked well, and gives me opportunity to do my old NMEA GPS stuff as well as new windows sensors.

Thanks Ben and Mark! The GPSDIRECT seems to have revived BU-353-S4. I will have to do a test "drive" - literally! - to make sure all is well as it had a habit of glitches, but will definitely keep the BU353W10 in my "save for later" queue in case I need to grab that. Thanks, navigation is the big thing for me when chasing.
I was going to ask if you can download maps in Maps - found the answer and have those downloading. Any other tips and tricks for that?

I had not even realized you could download maps. That's freaking awesome, as it did cause a little grief in a no cell service area up by Pryor. Downloading all the states now!

No other real tricks. I'm off in search of how to change the colors on the map, because colorblindness isn't very friendly with their current scheme and I don't like dark mode.

Ben, am I understanding correctly that the GPSDirect driver will essentially translate (for example) the BU-353-S4 into something that can be used by Maps? I didn't realize you could download maps either. That (and the wait time for the W10 when I bought the S4) was a big reason why I just got the S4 and didn't bother with the W10. I might have been willing to wait for a W10 had I known you could download maps in Maps, but if this is a workaround, then I'll be busy setting that up this week on the chase laptop.

There's a new model out from Global Sat called the BU-353-W10 (IIRC) that uses Windows Location Services (WLS) vs Delorme or Microsoft Streets and Trips and works with the more current mapping applications. We were left in the lurch when Delorme sold out and left to find a new way. So far, that's the best solution I've heard of. Here's an Amazon link if you're interested in getting one.
That's interesting that you got it to work. I tried with no luck and lots of others on Amazon had trouble. Had to go back with the S4 and use Streets and trips.

Back