• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Great Plains scenery/landscapes

Already posted this in my 06/01/18 chase report but figured I would post here as well - this was in Nebraska, somewhere south of Sargent if I remember correctly

3eda221894c21e4bbb1a49d06ee96fec.jpg

These are great! Exploring all these views is a big part of the chase for me.

Cheyenne Wells, Colorado
One of the endless streams of hazy tree & water tower silhouettes on the horizon that gradually resolves into all the little places where the local PD like to see if you're going to slow to 35 in time.
img20170525-IMG_8007_640px.jpg

Route 8 — North of Athol, Kansas
Straight roads draped across green hills—another favorite.
img20180602-IMG_3352_640px.jpg

Route 3 — South of Lavina, Montana
And the Cliff Swallows losing their minds and swarming like bees at river crossings.
img20180530-IMG_1923_640px.jpg

What a cool thread! The scenes which present themselves across the Plains are, in my mind, very much part and parcel of the whole experience of chasing - and I try to spend a bit more time taking them in and getting some pictures.

From this year - looking into the yonder from a rest area along US87 between Clayton and Raton, NM (I really love that stretch!):

june4th2018a.jpg

No trip around the Plains would be complete without some kind of local 'interest' - this, the VW Slug Bug Ranch, Conway, Texas.

may232016_1.jpg

Fighter jet at WaKeeney, KS:

31stmay2017_1.jpg

These aren't from the plains, but some stuff I did on film during one of my trucking runs to California last year.

This was sitting in the Los Angeles area at a shipper during sunrise. I fouled up the settings a little on the camera as that was the first roll of film I'd shot in probably a decade or longer.
73610022.jpg

I-40 somewhere between Barstow and Needles. I took advantage of when my co-driver was driving to snap several pictures while it was still daylight.
73610024.jpg

This was either in Eastern Arizona or Western New Mexico, I don't recall which.
73610019.jpg

The chase rig in front of the historic Route 66 bridge over the North Canadian River on the north side of Lake Overholsen.
73610001.jpg

The film SLR comes with me any time I take the DSLR anywhere these days, so I hope to run through multiple rolls of film during the upcoming spring.

This first photo was taken winter 2018-2019 of the bridge that crosses the Arkansas River near Fairfax, OK. This bridge was used in the movie Twister for a scene when Bill and Jo's chase team crosses the river at sunrise before intercepting the F5 tornado.
PSX_20190219_145455.jpg

This second photo was taken in 2019 in the Tallgrass Prairie Reserve near Pawhuska, OK. These buffalo grazing the open prairie harkens to a bygone era of what life on the Great Plains used to resemble.
PSX_20200316_082647.jpg

This third photo is from November 2020 from a chase in western Oklahoma. I managed to capture the sunset illuminating the backside of the shelf cloud "Whale's mouth" as it moved over Hinton, OK.
PSX_20201124_174159.jpg

This fourth photo is from 2017 near Cedar Vale, KS. A rain/hail core looms over this dilapidated farm house. This scene is quintessential Great Plains nostalgia.
PSX_20201207_085022.jpg

Back