• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2024-04-15 EVENT: NE/KS/OK

Is there going to be live thread for this event to switch to? Might be a good one to practice on.

Yes, @Jeff Duda and I will have a nowcasting event this evening on Zoom. This will be a pilot program to discuss this evening's severe weather event. We will begin at 4 PM MT/5 PM CT/ 6 PM ET. There will be a discussion of the synoptic and mesoscale features of the event, targets, etc. Everyone is welcome to join.

https://zoom.us/j/97977022252

The environment down along I-20 looks excellent. If a storm goes down there, it will be good. The cap is shown killing it after a couple of hours though. I can't make it down there in time anyway, and going down there is going to make getting back for Tuesday difficult.

It looks like the dryline in Kansas might stay west of the cloud deck. The OUN sounding shows better moisture depth upstream, and that's on the move northbound. Definitely better looking than last night, though it does appear the show will be entirely after dark.

I suggest we just go ahead and make this a NOW thread?

SPC just issued a MSD for the Childress area south, quite a ways. At some distance south, I'm assuming you start losing favorable upper level shear.

I still think a couple supercells are going to blow up in SW KS and some of the CAMs are hinting at it as well. As referenced before the models last time I checked (outside working right now) showed a good environment in the SW KS region. For better or worse I had picked Great Bend, but couldn't make it happen today although if I left now I could still be in position before convection initiates.

Is there going to be live thread for this event to switch to? Might be a good one to practice on.
See Jeff's post at the end of this thread:

The environment down along I-20 looks excellent. If a storm goes down there, it will be good. The cap is shown killing it after a couple of hours though. I can't make it down there in time anyway, and going down there is going to make getting back for Tuesday difficult.

It looks like the dryline in Kansas might stay west of the cloud deck. The OUN sounding shows better moisture depth upstream, and that's on the move northbound. Definitely better looking than last night, though it does appear the show will be entirely after dark.

Sweetwater has a less-than-optimal T/Td depression though... Towards Abilene is much better, but east of there the road network and terrain are tough to navigate... I dislike that whole area southeast of Rotan...

Not much convergence on the SW KS portion of the dryline - I think the models handled that fairly well. Maybe a better shot when the dryline retreats later...

CDS looks like a great spot right now as Warren has been saying, but it's still cloud-covered...

NAM3km much more aggressive w/ convection than HRRR, which only has an impressive cell further south in TX.

Still 3 hours of shooting light, so the chase is still on. The sig. torn. parameters are nuts if something goes up, but the cloud cover is a problem. Maybe a retreating DL or a wave will set things off. There are cells trying to go up within the sig-tor outlook!

sig-tor.png

All's well that ends well.... so far. SVR storm passed within 29 miles of my original forecast in KCDS, so I'm OK with that. Don't think CAPE was sufficient enough to take advantage of / overcome sheer. Hard to guess what will occur later tonight and tomorrow, but danger still exists for nighttime tornadic storms. Congratulations to everyone who made the decision to stay put today.

As of 10:45 p.m. Central time, there has not been one tornado warning anywhere in the US. There certainly could be tornadoes, maybe even strong ones, overnight, but from a storm chasing standpoint, this day has been a bust tornado-wise. Glad to hear some are seeing good structure, nonetheless.

Back