Chase Case and pattern recognition resource

I've been to this site a bunch of times in the past couple of years, but figured I'd bring it up again. It has maps from a ton of past severe weather days -- he probably has a couple hundred severe weather events covered... Most have severe weather reports map, 12z and 0z upper-air and sfc data, and sometimes some soundings or other data. At any rate, it's a neat resource if you're looking for chase case ideas, or if you just want to peruse data from past events... Pattern recognition is a good forecasting tool, and this site helps. ----> http://bangladeshtornadoes.org/UScases.html and choose a year range.

May 19th, 1949 looks like it would've been an amazing day to chase. Like May 3rd, it looks like every storm produced and there weren't more than 30 to 60 miles or so between storms.

They don't have any info on the Woodward OK tornado (April 17th, 1948 if I remember correctly). That's another day that I think would've been very interesting to witness.

It is hard to believe how much effort he has put into that site ... the volumes of information there are pretty staggering. You'd think it would require a team of people to assemble all of it, but in this case I think he must just work constantly to add to it. It's a terrific resource for investigating the events everyone has long since forgotten about - should also help a lot if we keep playing with these cases ... thanks for the link!

They don't have any info on the Woodward OK tornado (April 17th, 1948 if I remember correctly). That's another day that I think would've been very interesting to witness.

Actually, Joel, the date for the Woodward tornado was April 9, 1947, and I'm fairly certain the information from that day is on that website.

Gabe

It is hard to believe how much effort he has put into that site ... the volumes of information there are pretty staggering. You'd think it would require a team of people to assemble all of it, but in this case I think he must just work constantly to add to it. It's a terrific resource for investigating the events everyone has long since forgotten about - should also help a lot if we keep playing with these cases ... thanks for the link!

Jon Finch has been working feverishly on this exhaustive case study project for about 3 years now or so. Pretty much shortly after I got down here to DDC. I haven't really helped him a single iota, this has all been his individual effort... pretty amazing. I start working on something like this, I'll quit about 3 months into it, as some other project or distraction comes up :)

Thanks Gabe. I was way off but at least got the month right. I couldn't imagine it not being on there so I was a little confused.

Jon has really gone above and beyond on this project. A lot of great info. Seeing all of the big events that have happened in Oklahoma over the years gives me a little hope that this funk that we have been in since '99 has to end sometime.

Im sure im the last person in the world to find this out, but just in case I wasn't:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/caseindex.html

I found this the other night and love it. Looks like it's been around for a while so most of you probably seen it. It has lots of already archived information including model QPF-UVV's, soundings, surface, radar, sattelite and all the other SPC products. I've been playing it like a game, just click on a day without reading the states involved, look at the data and make your guess then you can look at the reports/radar.

As far as Jonathan's site, it's really wonderful. First time that I seen his archived cases for the plains and he has a lot of them. Nice to see maps other than the Daily Weather map series. I'd give my left arm to go document the storms of Bangladesh all logistical effort aside.

-Scott.

Back