Chase Case 7

Jeff Duda

site owner, PhD
Staff member
Site owner
Supporter
Chase Case 7

Bam! You wake up early one morning not expecting much. You make your usual check of the 12Z upper air data like normal. You also compare it to the 00Z data last night. Also included are 12Z soundings and surface, satellite, and radar data early this morning.

00 Z / 12 Z

250 mb / 250 mb
500 mb / 500 mb
700 mb / 700 mb
850 mb / 850 mb
925 mb / 925 mb

12Z soundings:
Albuquerque, NM
Aberdeen, SD
Amarillo, TX
Dodge City, KS
Denver, CO
Del Rio, TX
Davenport, IA
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Lincoln, IL
North Platte, NE
Little Rock, AR
Midland/Odessa, TX
Minneapolis, MN
Omaha, NE
Norman, OK
Rapid City, SD
Springfield, MO
Shreveport, LA
Topeka, KS

Satellite:
National
Southern Plains
Central Plains
Northern Plains
Midwest/Miss. Valley

Surface obs:
Southern Plains
Central Plains
Northern Plains
Upper Midwest
Mid-Mississippi Valley

Radar:
National

Note: I intend to overwhelm everyone who participates with information. Such is the nature of chasing this day and age. You will have to filter out the unnecessary information. I will also have some data blackouts every now and then, something also common during a chase day. You will have to get around it as much as you can. This day may be potentially very rewarding to those who chase. The more specific you can be with your target later on, the more rewarded you may be. Additional requests for information may be granted, and as usual, this is just for fun, so if you choose to try to find out the date on your own, that's fine, but please don't tell anyone who is participating if you happen to find out.

I will probably give the next major update sometime late tomorrow evening or early on Tuesday. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here goes nothing. I am going to set up in Odessa TX. Looks to my untrained eye there is a low sliding sw out of the mnt states. This along with the current winds in this area could fire off storms. Also with the temps everywhere else I dont think this could be a northern chase. I might be way off but time will tell.

I see no need to leave Amarillo right now. I'll get 3 or 4 more hours of sleep and check data when I get up.

Think I'm gonna camp out in Amarillo. Maybe Jason can direct me to someplace with a decent cup of coffee and a good breakfast before he goes back to sleep.

WOW! I CHECKED THE UA 250MB, AS WELL AS 925MB. LOOKS LIKE A PECOS VALLEY EVENT MAY BREAK LOOSE. LIKE THE BACKED WINDS ALONG THE RIO GRANDE VALLEY. I NORMALLY WOULDN'T DRIVE THIS FAR, BUT I WILL SIT TIGHT IN AMARILLO WITH INTENTIONS OF DROPPING SOUTH TOWARDS MIDLAND/ODESSA. LOVE THE LOADED GUN SOUNDING OUT OF MIDLAND/ODESSA. AMARILLO TILL NEXT UPDATE.

EDIT: I AM HEDGING A BIT BECAUSE I MAY DECIDE TO HEAD NORTH WITH NEXT UPDATE. MY FIRST INSTINCT IS TO PLAY THE CAPROCK IN TEXAS. DRYLINE MAGIC!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. Guess I'm waking up in Garden City, KS. Should be a raging dry-punch coming from the southwest this afternoon. Hopefully the better moisture will pull in from the southeast later.... A little too dynamic and thin on the moisture for my taste means may be finding the pearls among the squall lines.

Think I'm gonna camp out in Amarillo. Maybe Jason can direct me to someplace with a decent cup of coffee and a good breakfast before he goes back to sleep.

I sure can Bob. Try the Big Texan breakfast buffet! Best in town!

I forgot to mention that you don't have to "set up" the day before. Just give the name of the city you'd want to target to see anything and/or the city in which you wish you woke up this morning.

I forgot to mention that you don't have to "set up" the day before. Just give the name of the city you'd want to target to see anything and/or the city in which you wish you woke up this morning.

That being said, I wish I was waking up on my Long Horn Ranch in Odessa, Tx. drinking my coffee on my plush deck overlooking the high plains of Texas. So, I am waking up in Odessa

I will stay farther north. Put me in Salina, Kansas. I can move west or south if needed and will wait for more data before making a decision to play any one area.

Back