6/16 TALK: Panhandles/Kansas/Colorado

Kind of bizarre. Gene is in Yukon blasting home and reports power flashes around the Mustang area.

It appears that the highest winds in that area at least are actually with the gust front - rather than the line of storms.

Here in Norman our power has flashed once or twice - so I have gathered matches and candles on the dining table (don't have a working flashlight cause I'm stupid) and had better get going to watch the gust front come through.

KR

Mentions that winds will be strongest with the storms.
For the warning that includes Cleveland County (Norman)
http://weather.cod.edu/kamala/offs/KOUN/05...426.wuus54.html

AT 1123 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 15 MILES NORTHWEST
OF MCLOUD TO WESTERN OKLAHOMA CITY TO 7 MILES WEST OF MINCO...
MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH. A STRONG GUST FRONT OF NORTHERLY WINDS
WILL PRECEDE THIS LINE OF STORMS BUT THE MOST SEVERE WINDS WILL BE
ASSOCIATED WITH STORMS..
Mike

I'm glad the storms in this area died off in intensity. All of you in western and central OK (especially OKC) be smart and keep safe.

Looks like Southern OKC and Norman is about ready to get blasted, the cell moving throught El Reno looks pretty wicked. The one in eastern Sections of OKC looks pretty intense as well. Everyone down there, be careful!

it appears most of Cleveland and Oklahoma Counties missed the brunt of the storms as far as the wind is concerned. here in the southeast part of Norman I would guess our winds topped out in the 25-30 mph range - this is mostly a rain event for us. temperature dropped from 80F to 66F after the gust front came through.

Over half the state is covered in detected lightning strikes right now accdg to the Vaisala Lightning Explorer. It looks quite incredible. If the winds can be dealt with, it could be a quality night for those going for the lightning photography.

Just got off the phone with my wife (who was out spotting for County tonight), and she gave me a long list of flooded areas in East Oklahoma County and West Lincoln County.

Had a wind gust to 53 mph here in Wichita Falls and I did get soem good lightning shots from the first cell that came through earlier about 10:30 pm. Winds are still gusty here and have seen some power flashes. Lawn furniture is all over the place as well :)

Just got back from an interesting night. Observed gust front passage on HW9 just east of where it turns into the turnpike extension. This area has a great overlook to the N (the metro). Observed numerous power flashes along the leading edge, and we headed back towards Norman to ride out the storm.

As we were merging back onto I35, a brilliant green glow saturated our surroundings... almost instantly, power was off in southern portions of OUN. We hung out on the HW9 bridge over 77... and was overall a bit dissapointed. Despite this, we saw numerous LARGE limbs down across the city. I can only guess that the leading edge(which we didn't observe in OUN, but W of town) did the majority of the damage. One particular street S of Boyd, but E of McGee was completely blocked by a fallen branch.

McGee is notorious for flooding in OUN. My friend came up with an awesome idea... why don't we go kayaking! We hurried home and loaded up his kayak. We then proceeded to kayak up and down McGee just N of the Lindsey intersection.

Good times! (pics coming tomorrow)

Aaron

My friend came up with an awesome idea... why don't we go kayaking! We hurried home and loaded up his kayak. We then proceeded to kayak up and down McGee just N of the Lindsey intersection.

Good times! (pics coming tomorrow)

Aaron

My friend you certainly are a man of adventure...

Have you thought about the Marine corp?? lol too funny

Storm Summary for the NWS Norman CWA
fxc_Storm_Summary.jpg

Source: NWS Norman
Mike

Back