6/16 TALK: Panhandles/Kansas/Colorado

Clark Co, KS left split seems to be doing just fine...nice rotation at the mid-levels...Meade storm still trying it's best :lol:

BWER really starting to form on the meade co storm....could get good as this is the most persistant right mover of the day (minus the HP up in Kearney Co KS)

EDIT: I guess my opinion of most persistent right split was wrong...latest low level scan shows the two right splits still chillin' on the KS/OK border...their left splits still appear to be going good. Interesting that the KS/OK border storms' left splits are still going, but the Meade Co storm tried a left split which failed horribly. 8)

At 6:24pm cst spotters reported a tornado in Beaver county of the Oklahoma panhandle.

If it wasnt for this damn rib I would be there right now. Hope somebody is on that storm. it has an incredible hook on it.

Some awesome low level rotation on the cell in SW KS, I think SW Haskell Co., looks like it might clip Seward Co. and move into Meade Co. Very nice BWER.

Once again, these downplayed days in 2005 are getting the better of me...[/img]

At 6:24pm cst spotters reported a tornado in Beaver county of the Oklahoma panhandle.

If it wasnt for this damn rib I would be there right now. Hope somebody is on that storm. it has an incredible hook on it.

If it wasn't for this damn job - I'd be on it right now. Well - I'm at home now - but you get the picture....

The year of non-chasing continues.

Last report I heard from this storm - it had large scale rotation but no real focused low-level rotation - but that was before the Beaver County TOR was issued. I wonder if this thing ever tornadoed...

Either way looks like its lifespan is limited - it's basically the embryonic beginnings of the severe MCS progged for our area overnight.

KR

Some awesome low level rotation on the cell in SW KS, I think SW Haskell Co., looks like it might clip Seward Co. and move into Meade Co. Very nice BWER.

Once again, these downplayed days in 2005 are getting the better of me...[/img]

For everyone's viewing pleasure of the haskell storm:

http://weather.ou.edu/~kortega/radar/haskell.png

It and the Beaver storm have doughnut holes in the reflectivity at the midlevels from the updrafts

Not at all surprised to see 2 reports of 4.25" hail so far... I actually wouldn't be surprised to see hail a bit larger than this given the incredibly high reflectivities aloft (and resultant high VILs). Supercells appear to be congealing into an MCS / convective cluster in far nw OK. Latest 00z SPC mesoanaly showing incredibly strong indices save only moderate deep-layer shear... The 5000+ CAPE and 200 0-3km SRH are yielding supercell composite params in the >25 range, with siggy tor values spiked at 6. Regardless, all this goes to show a supercell-friendly environment, though I fear the relatively weak 'steering flow' are resulting in cold pool mergers and MCS development here upon supercell congealment. Latest MCD mentions hail larger than softballs likely, with developing threat of derecho-caliber system in the next few hours... Maybe I can get some good lightning photos right here in OUN tonight.

Wow.....

The new MCD issued for western and central OK is VERY strongly worded.

I wonder if we may see one of those rare PDS Severe T-Storm Watches issued very shortly - for OUR area? :shock:

I'm hoping Gene gets back from Ft. Supply before it all blows up out there......and out here!

I'm particularly worried about a dove's nest in the tree in our front yard......last night with the moderate winds that came through we lost one egg out of the nest - I hope it doesn't get blasted to smitherenes over night tonight. :(

KR

Just got a page from our weather product service for Emergency Management with the hazardous weather outlook, and according to it, the SPC just went high risk over Oklahoma. Not showing up on the SPC site though.

I am stuck going to work tonight, or I would be out...sucks for me.

Very strongly worded indeed... While the 1z SWODY1 maintains a MDT risk... The 8pm HWO from OUN indicates that the Norman office has locally upgraded the moderate risk to a High risk for tonight.

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KOUN/0506170119.flus44.html
THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK...
THERE IS A HIGH RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT ACROSS PORTIONS OF OKLAHOMA. THIS HIGH RISK IS SURROUNDED BY A MODERATE RISK.

For what it's worth, local NWSFOs have the power to "override" SPC categorical outlooks. From my experience, the Fort Worth office tends to do this occassionally (moreso than surrounding NWSFOs IMO), and most of the time it is a local upgrade to the categorical risk. That said, I think it was yesterday that the DDC NWSFO actually downgraded the SWODY1 for their area -- the SPC had a MDT risk across the area, but their HWO only said a SLT risk.

Interesting rogue strong storm moving NE (most other motions SE today) over Kingman/Reno Co KS....very high VIL signatures like the other storms, also with impressive base velocity out in front. Hope some of our Wichita-based chasers are on this. One of the AFD's earlier used the term "ridge crawler", which I had never heard of before...that term seems pretty mild for these powerful storms.

Why are the VILs so high (80s-90s for NW OK storm in Woods county) and grlevel3 cannot interpet how big the hail is? Is anyone else having this prob?

Storm K8 has MESO, 0% hail, 0% SVR hail, and 0"! VILs of 85 and DBz of 69! What is up with that?

Back