5/22/05 TALK: Most of Central US

Originally posted by David Schuttler+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Schuttler)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jketcham
The only thing holding me back from going out is it being night time. Otherwise I could easily have intercepted the cell coming out of Greenwood and Elk county since it's just a few counties over from me...

It is a full moon tonight... :lol:

After 200 plus miles already today traveling along the KS/OK border(bird watching :roll: ) I'll just set and wait and see if it can make it to Tulsa. Hoping for lightning is all.[/b]

Can't blame you, we probably just missed each other then.. I sat down in Miami for a while under some CU's. I say get your camera ready (if you have one).. it's just now lightning here in Pittsburg (Crawford county).

Chris Hayes is reporting golfball to baseball sized hail pounding their vehicle while heading south on 77, just SE of Wichita...

Originally posted by nickgrillo
Chris Hayes is reporting golfball to baseball sized hail pounding their vehicle while heading south on 77, just SE of Wichita...

Ouch... :shock:

Watching the rotation on the southwest part of the Elk county storm..

Yes, a nice hook forming there. 3.5" hail also. Are these cells high based? The two cells seem to have pretty strong rotation. I would think a tornado warning would be coming out soon.

I do think the SRN Elk Co storm is trying to go tornadic. Nice inflow/RFD structure to the HP storm with VIL's nearing 80. Those guys on 77 are really taking a beating right now I can imagine as well with that storm in Cowley Co. KS. POSH 100% with 3.25" hail falling.....which means probably about 2.5-2.75 reaching the ground. Ouch :shock:

Yes in Elk county but the Cowley Co one has a base of 1800'. Of course there is not gate to gate shear by any means on that Cowley county storm. The rotation is not strong but it shows up very nice. Now the rotation in Elk county looks much stronger but as you said, the base is at 5000'.

I think these storms are largely elevated, meaning they are drawing their parcels/updraft air from above the cap. This would negate any real tornado possibilities. The strong mesos, however, would certainly help enhance hail production, so very large hail would seem to be likely. That said, the storm in Elk county MAY be surface-based, though the convective inhibition for a surface-parcel should be quite high, so I think it'd be difficult to sustain surface-based parcel origin. The very high reflectivities (60-70dbz) are a sign that it may be drawing the extremely unstable surface air. There are also very high reflectivities aloft, indicating a very strong likelihood of very large hail. The storms in Wilson county and Cowley county also likely have large hail.

Given all the AP on the Tulsa radar and the fact these storms developed when the LLJ kicked in above the front, these storms are probably elevated. If they manage to root themselves somehow then the tornado threat might be okay given the data from the local profilers.

Back