4/24/10 NOW: GA,AL,MS,LA,TN,KY,AR

Michael Ratliff has a tornado on his live cam now S of I40 N of Decaturville, TN. The supercell looked classic, maybe a bit wet, but at least you can easily see the tornado (intermittent condensation to the ground). It's looking a bit muddier now, but the dynamic range of most of the streaming video is pretty bad...

LOL - Andy Gabrielson's cam (on severestudios.com) is why I don't want to chase that far east. Holy moly! Edit: it looks like the road ended at a church, so he's had to turn around. I hope he's off that road and has a better view soon! I wouldn't want to be caught there in very strong winds and/or rain and/or a tornado coming down... I think he's in a pretty dangerous position now, with the rotation increasing to his SW, with no view and what looks like a pretty bad road (with lots of tall trees on both sides).

Last edited by a moderator:
You ain't kiddin, Jeff! That couplet is pretty stout (90 kts g2g) and that road is pretty sketch. Looks like the favorable conditions for tornadoes are shifting southward.

There is a storm currently ongoing in extreme eastern Mississippi that bears watching. A possible tornado is located about 4 miles northwest of Shuqualak, MS as of 4:50pm CDT and is moving ENE at 50mph. It should pass between Shuqualak and Macon, MS in the next few minutes.

Edit: As of 4:59pm CDT the possible tornado was located about 5 miles south of Macon, MS near highway 45.

Edit 2: As of 5:17pm CDT a possible tornado was located about 10 miles west of Aliceville, AL or near Memphis, AL.

Andy Gabrielson is in prime position on the tail end of the line in southeast MS.

http://www.severestudios.com/cgi-bin/player.pl?username=andy.gabrielson&uid=140

:edit: I hope he has a chainsaw with him!

I think he's near Michael Brewer, who looks like he may have a tornado on his cam (well, at least a couple of mins ago) --> http://www.severestudios.com/cgi-bin/player.pl?username=michael.brewer&uid=480

Conditions still look best to me in SE MS, as instability decreases quite a bit to the N and E. That cell looks semidiscrete, so it should continue to chug along. The ob to the south of the storm is 79/70 (KNMM), while the ob to the E at Tuscaloosa is 73/70, evidence of the more stable environment farther east into AL (particularly the NE half AL... the SW half looks better in terms of destabilization).

The storms are moving away from the better instability but still into an extremely sheared environment. SPC mesoanalysis is showing 1KM SRH values over 1000 in nw AL :eek:, but CAPE is only in the 500 J/KG range.

I've never seen helicity values that high in my 5 or 6 years of following severe weather. In southwest TN, 1,300 m2/s2 1km SRH??? WHAT! If that was juxtaposed with the instability further west...YIKES.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1538/srh3.gif

Aliceville, AL appears to be in danger with the cell crossing the border.

Tornado reported in St Louis metro (Des Peres).

Also, is this storm motion right? This is the storm east of St Louis.
AT 500 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS
STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR WOOD RIVER...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 75 MPH.

the Yazoo City tornado broke apart shortly after hitting Marion county, Alabama. sirens were sounding as we drove through Haleyville, AL, but ended shortly afterward, as NWS cancelled the warning due to the cell weakening.

New cells are beginning to form in central MS. This looks like the best bet for big tors in the near term, as the airmass to the east is a bit more stable.

As a side note, the Yazoo City tornado damage looks to be solid EF-4. Trees denuded...vehicles tossed considerable distances...and houses leveled. Not entirely surprising considering the velocities from DGX.

Ray Walker, Chris Conklin, and I just videotaped a VERY intense tornado about a mile north of Parsons Tennesse. It started out as a multi vortex under a large violently rotating wall cloud, then became a large stovepipe/cone before getting wraped in rain and crossing HWY 69 north of town. We thought it was over when all of a sudden a HUGE wedge emerged from the rain NE of us. It was at least a half mile wide before getting wrapped in rain once again.
We also ran into LOTS of tree damage and some structural damage but no injuries as far as we know.

PS: AWSOME nowcasting from the best forcaster and nowcaster in the US!!!!!
''THE DAVE EWOLDT'' Also special thanks to Hank Baker, Rocky Rascovich, Jim Leonard for today, great guys!!!

Ray Walker, Chris Conklin, and I just videotaped a VERY intense tornado about a mile north of Parsons Tennesse. It started out as a multi vortex under a large violently rotating wall cloud, then became a large stovepipe/cone before getting wraped in rain and crossing HWY 69 north of town. We thought it was over when all of a sudden a HUGE wedge emerged from the rain NE of us. It was at least a half mile wide before getting wrapped in rain once again.
We also ran into LOTS of tree damage and some structural damage but no injuries as far as we know.

That cell will start to effect portions of the Nashville area within a couple of hours.

Live Streaming

http://www.newschannel5.com/

Per Michaels post, I wasn't watching the area closely but I saw it was turning into a linear complex. Well its seems like that cell broke away from the line briefly while producing that tornado that Michael saw, very interesting what dynamics were causing that.

Heres some links:

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/nids/images/BREF1/KNQA/20100424_211830_black.png?8851032

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/nids/images/VEL1/KNQA/20100424_211830_black.png?88510323

Obvious couplet there. Glad you haven't seen/heard of any injuries.

Back