4/24/10 NOW: GA,AL,MS,LA,TN,KY,AR

Major damage being reported in Madison Parish, LA per TWC. Responsible supercell continues to produce a large tornado and could be headed toward Yazoo City in the next 30 minutes.

Edit: tornado emergency issued... around 30 homes destroyed at Eagle Lake per scanner reports

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched Connor McCorey on chasertv either get hit by a tornado or just slid of the road near Vallay Park, MS and nearly collide with a semi. He seems to be stuck off the road. Hope everything is okay.

WWUS54 KJAN 241656
SVSJAN

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS
1156 AM CDT SAT APR 24 2010

MSC055-125-149-163-241730-
/O.CON.KJAN.TO.W.0021.000000T0000Z-100424T1730Z/
WARREN MS-SHARKEY MS-ISSAQUENA MS-YAZOO MS-
1156 AM CDT SAT APR 24 2010

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1230 PM CDT FOR YAZOO...
EXTREME EAST CENTRAL ISSAQUENA...SOUTHEASTERN SHARKEY AND EXTREME
NORTHEASTERN WARREN COUNTIES...

...THIS IS A TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR THE WARNED AREA...

AT 1155 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS AND STORM
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WEDGE
TORNADO. SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE HAS BEEN REPORTED AT EAGLE LAKE IN
WARREN COUNTY. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED 8 MILES SOUTH OF HOLLY BLUFF
MOVING NORTHEAST AT 65 MPH.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
TINSLEY BY NOON CDT...
LITTLE YAZOO BY 1205 PM CDT...
YAZOO CITY AND MYRLEVILLE BY 1210 PM CDT...
EDEN AND BENTON BY 1215 PM CDT...
MIDWAY BY 1220 PM CDT...

NROT displayed on GR2AE:

Wow I can't remember the last time I saw such Sig. Tornado parameters. Cape 2500/2000 plus effective helicities over 700. It is rare to get good capes and shear with no cap to line up in the same place.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-24 at 10.57.36 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-04-24 at 10.57.36 AM.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 37
While I don't think the TE is warranted (although the local WFO could've done a CYA and said it was for Yazoo City, which is still questionable), that cell has some increible velocities right now. I'm seeing solid 70 to 80 outbounds and 60 to 90 inbounds (all in knots) using SRV on GR2 in that storm. It's broad, but a strong mesocyclone nonetheless.

Looking at that Yazoo City, MS storm... They have a couple minutes, but the velocity image on that one is insane.
yazoo_ms_042410.png

While I don't think the TE is warranted (although the local WFO could've done a CYA and said it was for Yazoo City, which is still questionable), that cell has some increible velocities right now. I'm seeing solid 70 to 80 outbounds and 60 to 90 inbounds (all in knots) using SRV on GR2 in that storm. It's broad, but a strong mesocyclone nonetheless.

I agree, although that's a whole different subject I suppose. I really hope people are taking cover from this storm! :eek:

twc just showed the reflectivity and a high return where there shouldn't be - aka debris signal. interesting.

Ebenezer, MS looks to be in the direct path of this monster tornado! TWC is advising of tremendous damage with this storm and injuries, sadly.

copy/paste from grl2:

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 115 PM CDT FOR
NORTHEASTERN YAZOO...WESTERN ATTALA AND SOUTHEASTERN HOLMES
COUNTIES...
...THIS IS A TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR THE WARNED AREA...
AT 1236 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS AND STORM
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WEDGE
TORNADO. SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED IN YAZOO CITY WITH MULTIPLE
INJURIES! THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR EBENEZER MOVING NORTHEAST
AT 55 MPH.

Back