4/24/10 NOW: GA,AL,MS,LA,TN,KY,AR

A second large tornado is on the ground east of Booneville, Mississippi. It should be moving into Alabama soon.

I'm concerned for the Western KY and Southern IL areas now...... cells look like they're becoming more discrete and showing some minimal rotation, but increasing rapidly. Not sure how well they'll stay together as they cross the Miss. River, but PAH area will be active area over the next hour.

My folks are back in Paducah........ typically like most back there, totally oblivious to the weather scenario playing out today! (sigh)

Rotation seems to be getting better organized again on the supercell moving toward Starkville, MS.

Twister Chasers on the scene!

Jeff and Kathy Piotrowski along with Terry Schenk have been tracking the Yazoo City tornado since it exploded out of Louisiana. It went on to destroy a chemical plant, numerous houses and automobiles on the road, unable to confirm whether there were passengers in them at the time or not. The tornado has nearly tracked 150 miles by now and Jeff is reporting EF-3, EF-4 damage and possibly EF-5 along with this extremely dangerous tornado.

Storm just west of Columbus, MS looks to miss the city to the north but is tracking dangerously close to the GWX radar site. Its about to cross into Memphis CWA and no downstream warning as of yet.

Good day all,

I just wrapped up helping out in the devastated small town of Yazoo, MS near highway 49 after a large tornado hit the area just before 12 Noon.

yatord1.jpg

Mods: Move this to a "reports" thread if necessary.

GWX radar showing a TVS at a height of 1100 feet--don't think I've ever seen one that low before, proximity to radar site must be unsettling.

Update: now at 900 feet.

Cell NE of Starkville intensifying..could become a big player.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon...storms are lining out. Big tors not as likely due to unfavorable storm mode..though, embedded supes can still produce big time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tornado in Mississippi

According to storm reports shown on SPC website, tornadoes were reported all the way across Mississippi from southwest to northeast. CNN is reporting that this was one tornado that left a damage path of 1/2 to 1 mile wide. Governor of Mississippi is saying that there is at least one death in Mississippi but this has not been confirmed by CNN. I would find it hard to believe that there is no deaths based on the damage photo in a previous post in this thread from Yazoo City.

Did the Long Track Wedge Make it into the Tri State Category or did it just fall short ?

Paul S

Based on looking at several consecutive velocity scans out of both KDGX and KGWX and I would be surprised if someone could prove or show it to be highly likely that all of the tornado reports were from the same tornado. Between NE LA and C MS I could see it being just one large tornado, but after that the signatures kinda jump and skip around, and I doubt that it was the same tornado after the Chester report.

Back