2/28/07 NOW: OK / KS

The cell in Miami County looks to be splitting and moving farther off the line. If it does this it could be another very long tracked storm right on the heals of the Mo cell.

New mesoscale discussion out looks like more development expected for SC and E Ks. Low pressure has moved passed Ict with trailing cold front extending S. The dryline is retreating Nwd. SPC says,

PREFERRED MODE OF CONVECTION MAY TEND TOWARD MORE LINEAR ALONG
FRONTAL ZONE...HOWEVER PRESENCE OF STRONG AMBIENT SHEAR WILL STILL
SUPPORT EMBEDDED SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF TORNADOES...DAMAGING WINDS
AND LARGE HAIL.

What a great start to 07'. It was 75 deg F today btw ;)

The first, mega-storm and the second, newcomer to the west are anchored right on a boundary. Dews are locally in the 55-57 range with southeast winds versus around 52 dews and south or south-southeast in the warm sector.

The western storm is ingesting air modified by the eastern storm and is really producing a nice RFD gust front now.

NE Butler Co. is now Svr warned. The line is back building Sw. Dew points in Ict 38 deg right now, expecting that to change with the retreating dryline about to come through again for the second time today.

Storm just west of Emporia, Ks is begining to rotate. Look for Tor warning with this cell . KAKE Ch 10 here in ICT is breaking in now talking about the Supercell in Chase Co. 1-2" hail possible with this storm.

Van I understand the distruction first hand. You have taken the statement I made out of context.

Edit: 2 Cells near Cottonwood Falls, Ks. Weak rotation with both cells with nice little hooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first, mega-storm and the second, newcomer to the west are anchored right on a boundary. Dews are locally in the 55-57 range with southeast winds versus around 52 dews and south or south-southeast in the warm sector.

Are you sure about the 55-57 dewpoint? As of 03z I see a 54 in Chanute, 53 in Joplin, 51 in Springfield, and 52 in Sedalia (about 2 counties ahead of the storm). I'd say a dewpoint in the 51-53 range is more like it. Also, the winds in the warm sector look to be almost uniformly out of the south-southeast right now. I'm looking at the NCAR/RAP surface data site, so maybe we're looking at a different plots...?

In general, all I have to say right now is "wow". What a fascinating night of meteorology this is turning out to be; this is fast becoming one of the most intriguing cases I've ever seen.

Are you sure about the 55-57 dewpoint? As of 03z I see a 54 in Chanute, 53 in Joplin, 51 in Springfield, and 52 in Sedalia (about 2 counties ahead of the storm). I'd say a dewpoint in the 51-53 range is more like it. Also, the winds in the warm sector look to be almost uniformly out of the south-southeast right now. I'm looking at the NCAR/RAP surface data site, so maybe we're looking at a different plots...?QUOTE]

Yep, I'm sure. I am looking at the cooperative weather observer reports on my Gibson Ridge. And locally where the 2 supercells are traversing the dewpoints were 55-57 with southeast winds. A couple of the coop sites had mesos go right over them....hope everyone and everything is ok.

Cell that is now S of Emporia, Ks is starting to tighten up and rotation is increasing. 2 couplets showing up on the sothern tip of the storm. Cell near Neosho Rapids, Ks. Tor warning expected very soon for Lyons Co.

Yep, I'm sure. I am looking at the cooperative weather observer reports on my Gibson Ridge. And locally where the 2 supercells are traversing the dewpoints were 55-57 with southeast winds. A couple of the coop sites had mesos go right over them....hope everyone and everything is ok.

I'm very skeptical of those reports...all you have to say is "cooperative weather observer" for me to raise an eyebrow. Nothing personal, but I have experience dealing with cooperative observer sites, and believe me, they are none too reliable, and putting too much stock into them can lead to problems. ASOS has its issues, but I'll take the ASOS data over the coop data any day of the week.

That said, what you are saying is not impossible, especially since terrain can have pretty significant effects on local weather, so I need to keep an open mind about it. Do you have a link where I could access the data? I'm interested in examining it further.

Monster HP with great rotation moving into Coffe and Osage Co. in Se Ks. Tor warning with this storm. The storm trailing that cell is still in Lyon Co and is also rotating.

Edit: Area of rotation near Lebo, Ks probaly a couple miles N of I35 which is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monster HP with great rotation moving into Coffe and Osage Co. in Se Ks. Tor warning with this storm. The storm trailing that cell is still in Lyon Co and is also rotating.

Edit: Area of rotation near Lebo, Ks probaly a couple miles N of I35 which is good.

That storm you speak of is probably undercut by the front, kinda wondering why TWX issued a T-warning on it?

Back