2/28/07 NOW: OK / KS

Your right Lynn Co. is in trouble. The storm is looking the best it has since this whole thing began. Bates Co. Mo im sure has their eyes on this one. Should cross the Ks/Mo state line in the next 30 min. I know that this is a very dangerous situation for people in the path of this storm and I hope that the people in the warned area but I have to say that is a pretty awesome sup all alone with nothing to stop it. Top that with the fact that the moisture it has to work with isnt all that great but its enough.

2nd Tornadic supercell with TOR warning issued for Franklin County, KS and a 3rd cell is on the verge of tornadic in Johnson County, KS. This 3rd cell may take a run at KCMO soon.

It is interesting that through the early evening, the significant tornado indices have shown a bullseye over northeastern to east central Oklahoma and SE Kansas. The tornadic storm seemed to ride along the border of and outside of this area.
Looking forward to seeing some images of the reported wedge.

Bill Hark

Is there a live feed for KC metro anyone? Storm crossing the state line now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that storm at 758cst had a perfect hook..the whole SW portion was wrapped around. No doubt there is much destruction from this cell.
Pray people have taken cover..
Looks like the one west of Franklin KS is hooked shaped now too with Golfball size hail apparently and Tornado warning. Tons rotation down there.

The wedge near Coloney, KS went from 3 seperate tornadoes and formed a wedge. I hope someone was there and got that on tape.

I am truly amazed with this storm right now. This is as good as any storm I've seen on radar with dewpoints in the 70+ range...and this one is working with a dewpoint in the low 50s?!? Wow! The SPC RUC analysis shows basically zero CAPE there, whereas the NCAR/RAP page has about 1500, quite the difference! Based on the Topeka/Lamont/Springfield soundings, one would expect CAPE values to be in the 500-1000 range, at best, with a T/Td of 63/52, which is representative of the area.

Regardless, 63/52 with a storm like that...I know it's possible and all but I'm definitely surprised. This is what I was looking for last Friday in OK with dewpoints in the upper 50s...of course, it is Kansas, the tornado alley within tornado alley, need I say more? ;)

What a cell... Now seeing more cyclic updraft development to SE, previous circulation occluded.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wedge near Coloney, KS went from 3 seperate tornadoes and formed a wedge. I hope someone was there and got that on tape.

That sounds just like the descriptions I have read of the April 10, 1979 Wichita Falls, TX tornado.....3 seperate funnels merging together to form what became the massive wedge.

I keep waiting for this cell to loose it's rotation, but it's still displaying a massive hook and strong rotation. It's not quite as perfect as it was a few scans ago. At that point, it looked as textbook perfect as the 5/3/99 images of the Moore, OK storm. Wow, what an incredible (and for those in the path...frightening) storm.

Adrian Missouri looks to be in a WORLD of hurt in the next few minutes. Intense couplet looks to go directly over, with a new meso to the southeast. WOW!!!

Miami County Looking to get a Possible tornado now from the new Storm to the Northwest of the First Tornado warned and confirmed storm.

Northeast to that another TVS singature popping up in Jackson County.

I have a feeling alot more Tornado's will be reported in the next 15 minutes.

Stay Safe everyone...

-gerrit

Miami County, KS hook echo now stealing the show. This monster is really starting to hook and rotate quite a bit. TOR warned with wall cloud sited. This may be the next tornado producer shortly.

The cell in Adrian, Mo is taking a very similar path to the Supercell on 3/12-3/13 last year that started in Ks and ended in Indiana. This storm also has the potential to make a very long run.

Back