2/28/07 NOW: OK / KS

I don't know, the moisture that far north is not that good, plus its right turning. If it stays together, it probably won't effect KC metro area.

Are all the obs near Iola KS way low or how does anyone expect a storm to produce a tornado in an environment with dewpoints in the 30s?

EDIT: Yikes I guess my pessimism stands corrected. SVS states the storm now has a history of producing tornadoes.

It's riding along the "warm front" which is basically the leading edge of the "moisture." I am allowed to use quotation marks in February lol. This thing might have a base somewhere in the lower stratosphere...but it probably looks quite nice. I'd watch this area and east later when the LLJ cranks up and LCL's come down due to diurnal cooling.

The right turn is the factor if the moisture isnt there yet it will be. Looks like the tornadic storm is splitting again 2 areas of rotation on the back sides of the precip. This is going to be a big night!

Storm north of Iola is definitely strengthening now. Showing a developing hook in the last 2 scans.

hook2ra8.jpg

The cell near Colony is looking very impressive. GR2AE Hail algorithim is showing 3.73" hail and it is showing 70dbz throughout the hail growth layer. Last two tilts have showed a classic TBSS.

EDIT: GR2AE now at 4.5". 1.4 tilt now showing precipitation being wrapped around the updraft. Recent report indicates only .88" in Colony where core moved over. Mid-level rotation quite pronouced just east of Colony.

Rotation appears to have passed a mile or two north of Lone Elm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cell atributes now Indicating 4 inch hail. This is one nasty looking storm on radar. No TVS signature yet, should pop up any second...

Watch out, out there...

-gerrit

Cells near the KC area starting to organize, but man, moisture only in the low 40's. Also new tornado watch for western MO

Rotation has ramped up considerably with g2g of 95kts and an increase throughout the mid-levels. Intial updraft occluded with new rotation just N/NW of Blue Mound. LSR states that three tornadoes combined into a wedge (this should be interesting to see). RFD of 90+kts. It appears to me that we may

EDIT: Tight area of rotation extending from near 4kft to 28kft, quite a significant and impressive appearance on the velocity display. Thankfully thus far it has avoided going directly through any areas of significant population. Looks like occlusion is now taking place with secondary development to ENE.

MO should be added to the thread as activity is moving into the state. No activity at all in OK. I sure hope everyone is taking shelter that is a inpressive storm Linn county.

Back