06/07/07 NOW: IA/MN/WI/MI/IL/IN/KS/MO/OK/TX/AR

i am not quite sure what it could be either. the only plausible thing i could think of would be dust.

its the same color behind the cold front as and infront of the dry line.

A bit off-topic, but also in conjunction with ongoing weather... is that a dust storm visible on satellite imagery over much of western Kansas. This feature appears to be blowing in from the northwest. Absolutely no convection along it, whatever it is. Unique looking - almost like a dust tsunami heading through central Kansas. ;-)
If I'm not mistaken, that's the cold front, whereas the boundary further SE and the focus of all the cu activity in SE KS and OK is the dryline. Definite wind shift and temperature decrease behind that surge. It is kind of odd that it looks that way on VIS though. Usually a colder airmass can be distinguished on IR, but on VIS that must be dust. But why no dust ahead of the front? Winds are strong there as well, just from a different synoptic fetch.

finally got convection near witchita falls and another cell firing SW of there!

it also appears on visible sat. that the cap has broke just E of lawton, ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm betting that's just dust behind the cold front, on those 45mph+ NW winds.

Now, in regards to severe in OK - new mesoscale out confirms my thoughts on the retreating dryline and lack of forcing. Looks like we'll have to wait for the cold front to arrive. Maybe I can get some good lightning shots later tonight. The cap has all but gone according to OUN soundings, but Cu is still struggling here around central OK.

That cap at OUN is easy to break. You just need a few tons of TNT :p LOL, never mind if it was last night.
Anyway, things are near perfect for initiation to the west of me, or they would be if it weren't for that anvil blowoff from storms in MO. Cap is gone, LFC's are plummetting. Some moisture convergence is advecting in. The best congestus towers I've seen all day are showing up in the sky now. Come on...

Wow, that little cell at Wichita Falls if right ON the dryline, and moving north as it retreats. Clearly visible on radar. Even though convection is now starting, now the question is... will it be able to jump off the dryline and root itself in the deeper moisture to the east?

Storm in WI north of Sparta is showing strong rotation and has had a possible tornado for awhile now. Also VIL showing large hail is probibly falling north of Sparta. I would be suprised if this did not have a tornado on the ground right now.

I am at Fort McCoy for the week with work, and the updraft passed right over us here on base. It had violent upward motion into the updraft, with a small area of visible rotation...but not much of a "classic" wall cloud. It was breathing well, with scud being sucked upwards very quickly and from near ground level. There was a pronounced clear slot that wrapped back behind the updraft to the northeast, with a ~40 mph RFD gust as it moved NE from us.

I have some stills I'll post later if I get a chance.

Chad and I are sitting about 20 miles west of Tulsa, right below SPC's bullseye for sup, siggy tor, and Craven/Brooks parameters. All we need is a storm LOL. Very pathetic looking attempts at breaking the cap, Mickey Ptak reports the same thing around Lindsey, OK. He's moving southwest to get closer to the cell west of Wichita Falls if it gets its act together. As for us, we're sitting here watching a potential capbust in progress. If it waits til the cold front arrives, game over.

Sick of nocturnal events in 2007,
Shane

I wish I were in the Waurika~Duncan vicinity right now. That cell is still small, but it appears to be jumping OFF the dryline and rooting in deep moisture, moving to the ENE. It certainly bears watching! What have we got, about an hour of useable (photography/videography) daylight left?

EDIT 1: Well, so much for jumping off the dryline. Still there, still small, yet struggling...oh...so...much...

EDIT 2: You guys (and gals) were right, that visible sat feature over KS must be the CF. Convection now forming along it over SW Kansas. Still really unique to watch.

What an anvil shadow on visible satellite from the storm near Wichita Falls!

Best-looking tower attempt we've seen in progress just to our northwest...somewhere near Jennings/Terelton....light returns on radar.....monitoring.

Back