06/07/07 NOW: IA/MN/WI/MI/IL/IN/KS/MO/OK/TX/AR

Southwestern skies now lighting up with constant lightning! That storm is now tracking into Dekalb county with a pretty good eastward push. Looks like the line is backbuilding to the SW as well.

Anvil crawlers a'dancing in the western skies!

Last edited:
A bit off-topic, but also in conjunction with ongoing weather... is that a dust storm visible on satellite imagery over much of western Kansas. This feature appears to be blowing in from the northwest. Absolutely no convection along it, whatever it is. Unique looking - almost like a dust tsunami heading through central Kansas. ;-)

Still awaiting, and hoping, here in Norman. I can step outside and watch towers go up, then hit the cap and shear apart. Perhaps when the jet streak arrives?

Called off the SE KS chase when it became evident it would be an after dark event. Back home in St. John and that dust tsunami is for real. The cold front blasted through and we went from mid 80s to low 60s in about 45 minutes.

Keep an eye on the cell near Duncan, OK !!! She's all alone and in an environment extremely supportive of tornado development per mesonet data surface winds. Too bad this one didn't pop up around 5pm this afternoon! (Sigh)

The community of Comanche, OK looks to be in the path of this intensifying cell. Mid-level rotation now evident per GR BV data!

Edit: Noticing another "blip" near Lawton, OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rural areas of Southern Stephens County, OK (including the tiny town of Loco) are actually pretty populated, so hopefully this thing doesn't get its act together now at this time of the day. But it certainly looks to be on the track to doing just that..

I don't know Chris, it keeps trying, but just as it does, junks out again. It looked better before the cell popped up behind it near Lawton. For the past few hours, it seems that area has had one storm after another, all competing, and eventually giving way to another cell. Crap! - just as I typed the previous statement, now the thing looks as if it's trying to hook again. No doubt it's pulsing up and down. It bears watching for sure!

A bit late here, but about 45min ago had 55-60mph winds here at the house for about 5 minutes. We were hit by two cells. The last one had the most wind. It's already about 30 miles away heading towards Dekalb.

Storms are really taking off now in northern IL. Everyone to the east be ready. Even the weaker cells are creating a big blow...

Not much of a tornado threat in N IL that I can see right now... Storms look windy but that's about it.

Within the last 5 minutes:

Kane County Spotters reported a lowering in the clouds/possible wall cloud, 5 miles WNW of Hampshire, IL. No further details available........Brilliant lightning to my west north west by about 40 miles.

I don't know Chris, it keeps trying, but just as it does, junks out again. It looked better before the cell popped up behind it near Lawton. For the past few hours, it seems that area has had one storm after another, all competing, and eventually giving way to another cell. Crap! - just as I typed the previous statement, now the thing looks as if it's trying to hook again. No doubt it's pulsing up and down. It bears watching for sure!
Yeah...the thing doesn't look like its got its act together "yet" (hopefully it doesn't change this time as I type, hehe). The blip from Comanche County could be interesting for me if it tracks eastward and intensifies, which I'm not so sure of. Right now this cell to my south is just causing some loud noises and rain and not much more. I don't have any aspirations to chase after dark in this terrain so hopefully I can just get put to sleep by the rain hitting my bedroom window and the slow rumbles of thunder.

WHAT AN AWESOME CHASE!!!! I am having a career chase today! On top of the huge hail and possible tornado in Wisconsin, we just nabbed great lightning and a cone funnel in Rochelle, IL. We are heading south to our overnight stay in Normal, IL and may get more lightning shots! Here are a couple teaser shots...

20070607_14.JPG

Huge hailstones in Wisconsin Rapids, WI earlier.

20070607_35.JPG

One of several lightning shots.

20070607_42.JPG

Exposure shot of funnel just west of Rochelle.

Much much more to come in my report later...

There is currently a vicious bow echo racing across far western IL. Now tornado warned for eastern Adams County. Comma head has formed on the north end of the bow echo northeast of Quincy and has a strong TVS attm. Towns of Kellerville and Clayton in the path of this potential tornado... not a good situation there.

There is currently a vicious bow echo racing across far western IL. Now tornado warned for eastern Adams County. Comma head has formed on the north end of the bow echo northeast of Quincy and has a strong TVS attm. Towns of Kellerville and Clayton in the path of this potential tornado... not a good situation there.

And guess who booked a room in the path of that thing!!! *waves* LOL I'm staying in Normal/Bloomington tonight; about 20 minutes out right now and wide awake after 17 hours and 812 miles today! LOL

Okay I'll be the first to admit I was ready to throw the towel in earlier but Storms did fire up . Here in RFD the SE part of town and Winnebago County was clipped with the strongest cells just to our SW-SE. Great Lightning though..thanks for the Rochelle shots !

Hey Tony! Ha, you do know how to pick 'em, dontcha?;)
Maybe when it goes through, you should go outside and 'Face the Wind!'
Joking, joking...
They've allowed the tornado warning to expire, though that thing still has an impressive comma head. Looks like Normal is going to be right in the meat of it in about a half hour to 45 mintes; that storm is hauling some serious balls! Watch, it'll drop a tornado on your motel or something... the irony of that would not be lost on anyone.
Have fun with that, bro.

Back