Why moderator intervention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is so interesting.

It's quite obvious that Billy has infringed on several people's photos. Warren Faidley responded pretty quickly...

I've been told the guy is getting a spanking in a news group so I'll let that go for now.

Thanks again:

Warren

Obviously someone else must have talked to him, if he knows that Billy is getting a "spanking" in a newsgroup.

I find it very amusing that so many people come out of the woodworks and start preaching about "innocent until proven guilty" and using restraint when something like this happens. If you notice, almost without exception, these people were not violated by Billy's actions and didn't have the fruits of their labor stolen from them. Quite easy to set yourself upon a high pedestal when you're not the one being victimized.

Several of the people who had their pictures stolen are very good friends of mine. They have driven thousands of miles; spent thousands of dollars; gone 24 hours or more at a time without sleep; eaten crappy food for days on end; and stayed at two bit motels and roachholes across the Plains. They have put their lives into chasing. All this hassle just to witness supercells and tornadoes.

And then, some poser comes along and steals from them and you moral-high-ground guys expect they should be calm and judicious in the face of such overwhelming evidence of guilt on Billy's part? PLEASE! Give us a break!

Maybe some of you are jealous Billy didn't steal your images. But if he had, I'd be willing to bet that almost to a man, you'd be as hot as and be reacting the same way as many of the people he has victimized are reacting right now.

So save the preaching for the pulpit. Sure, I agree that any threats of physical violence against Billy, his family and property are off limits. But he deserves everything else he gets.

Regards,

Mike

Originally posted by mikedeason
I find it very amusing that so many people come out of the woodworks and start preaching about \"innocent until proven guilty\" and using restraint when something like this happens. If you notice, almost without exception, these people were not violated by Billy's actions and didn't have the fruits of their labor stolen from them. Quite easy to set yourself upon a high pedestal when you're not the one being victimized.

Several of the people who had their pictures stolen are very good friends of mine. They have driven thousands of miles; spent thousands of dollars; gone 24 hours or more at a time without sleep; eaten crappy food for days on end; and stayed at two bit motels and roachholes across the Plains. They have put their lives into chasing. All this hassle just to witness supercells and tornadoes.

And then, some poser comes along and steals from them and you moral-high-ground guys expect they should be calm and judicious in the face of such overwhelming evidence of guilt on Billy's part? PLEASE! Give us a break!

Maybe some of you are jealous Billy didn't steal your images. But if he had, I'd be willing to bet that almost to a man, you'd be as hot as and be reacting the same way as many of the people he has victimized are reacting right now.

So save the preaching for the pulpit. Sure, I agree that any threats of physical violence against Billy, his family and property are off limits. But he deserves everything else he gets.

Regards,

Mike

I agree with the majority of what you said, BUT:

you'd be as hot as and be reacting the same way as many of the people he has victimized are reacting right now.

Being "hot" doesn't always make your judgement any clearer... If anything, it skews the perception quite a bit. Strong emotions can definitely affect sanity and rational thinking. That is why it is better for an unbiased jury to make a decision, not the disgruntled victims. Since I haven't had any photos stolen (and rarely do I ever put anything online), I can be a jury... The verdict is in, and it's quite obvious that the images are stolen. I haven't really seen anyone come in here and defend Billy, nor have I seen any personal threats of violence.

I find it very amusing that so many people come out of the woodworks and start preaching about \"innocent until proven guilty\" and using restraint when something like this happens. If you notice, almost without exception, these people were not violated by Billy's actions and didn't have the fruits of their labor stolen from them. Quite easy to set yourself upon a high pedestal when you're not the one being victimized.

Regards,

Mike

Mike I don't think anyone here is jealous that Billy didn't steal there images. They are just trying to make sure that this thread doesn't get out of control.

Please don't patronize me by trying to explain the duties of a jury. This is not a legal court, but the court of chaser opinion. And in the latter court, he has definitely been proven guilty and deserves all the castigation and humiliation he gets until he finally fesses up, apologizes and agrees to remove himself entirely from this site.

Regards,

Mike

Please don't patronize me by trying to explain the duties of a jury. This is not a legal court, but the court of chaser opinion. And in the latter court, he has definitely been proven guilty and deserves all the castigation and humiliation he gets until he finally fesses up, apologizes and agrees to remove himself entirely from this site.

Regards,

Mike

Sorry, I was just a little confused as to who you were aiming your comments at about people coming out of the woodwork, preaching to the pulpit, etc.. It's hard to follow a discussion when people are directing a post at someone, but they beat around the bush as to who it is... Since I didn't have any photos stolen, I am going to back out of this discussion since it's pointless for me not to.

THERE'S NOTHING I WOULD LIKE MORE THAN TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS FORUM FOR GOOD. I HAVE NO USE, AS I'M SURE YOU ALL FEEL THE SAME, FOR BEING A MEMBER ANY LONGER.

If you will kindly remove me from this forum immediately, then I would only ask that you please stop making threats to me and my family.

I have been through enough in the past 24 hours.

How's that for a resolution? Can we please have a Moderator or Admin remove me immediately? Again, in doing so, all I ask is that you please leave me, my website, my family and my property alone. If you have additional copyright concerns, please email me.

My site makes NO profit from the chasing side of things. I do not place a monetary value on chasing. I do not sell photos, only the videos I capture. The DVDs I sell are AT COST including duplication and shipping, so no profit is made. If anyone would like to view those due to concerns of the content, you're certainly welcome to purchase one.

Kindest regards,
Billy Griffin

You may have made no profit, but you stole other photographers images and put YOUR NAME on them, that is two violations right there. I will still be taking you to court over this, you can bet on it...

As was said above, even if no profit was made, you still took images (the majority of which had prominent copyrights place on the image), cropped them to fit your site and your needs, then didn't put where you got the photos from.

The way the site is layed out makes it look like YOU took the photos and videos when in fact, you did not.

I hope the moderators or admins do NOT remove you so that the evidence stays around.

[Thoughts below are my personal opinions, and not necessarily moderator actions.]

How come we don't have a "beating a dead horse" emoticon?

I certainly feel that everything that can be said has already been said (we're on to what, 16 pages between the two threads?)... This thread will remain open as long as there are not a string of personal attacks, but I really feel that the horse has been beaten enough. I understand how those who's images have been lifted could be angry, but I'm assuming all anger has been expressed. I vote that we move discussion off Stormtrack, or at least keeping it in PM if necessary, given that the tar-and-feathering has been going on for a while now.

[Start moderator talk]
Any member who does personally / physically threaten Billy as he has noted will be removed immediately. Regardless of the actions some feel he has taken (I know it seems obvious, but legally, the courts decide), there is absolutely no room for a member to harm the property and health of any other member, as the reliatory actions become worse than the initial actions. Since few, if any, of us have access to his PM and email, nobody can, for certain, say that no threats have been made against Billy.

Sure, I agree that any threats of physical violence against Billy, his family and property are off limits. But he deserves everything else he gets.

Regards,

Mike

I wholeheartedly agree with those sentiments.

Fortunately, I think most chasers involved in this matter have alibis in the matter of the alleged 'smashed windows' incident....since there was a slew of people in the chatroom last night. :D

I also do not thing making physical threats will resolve anything...but I haven't seen anyone making those.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder

Any member who does personally / physically threaten Billy as he has noted will be removed immediately. Regardless of the actions some feel he has taken (I know it seems obvious, but legally, the courts decide), there is absolutely no room for a member to harm the property and health of any other member, as the reliatory actions become worse than the initial actions. Since few, if any, of us have access to his PM and email, nobody can, for certain, say that no threats have been made against Billy.

100% AGREED ON THIS. Physical or property damage is totally uncalled for. I would also like to add this: it is not worth getting yourself into legal trouble over something that he has done...don't ruin your life.

Nobody should have to live in fear of physical harm to themselves or their family (who had nothing to do with his actions), or worry if they will still have a vehicle or home to come back to, or what condition it will be in. Handle yourselves accordingly.

Originally posted by Billy Griffin

I have been through enough in the past 24 hours.

It's a mess of your own making bud. You brought it on yourself. A grown man should know better. If you had an ounce of class you would fess up, apologize and go away quietly. Short of that don't expect sympathy. Just go away.

There is a life lesson in this for you if you are wise enough to recognize it. I sincerely hope you do.

If Hoss Cartwright pulled this crap you can bet Ben would kick his tail all over the Pnderosa until he set things right.

Good luck with the singing thing.

For those who are going to take this into your own hands (legally!), find someway to team up instead of going individually. This will save you all on attorney fees and will make the case that much easier to win from the attorny's standpoint. I would recommend to continue doing your research.

I guess I should mention that I am not a lawyer (IANAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back