The 2013 mobile data Q&A thread

Jim, what kind of card do you have? It sounds like you're on VZ's 4G plan, which is actually $10 cheaper than their 3G. How is it working for you? I'm still using my USB 760 and would love to get the lower rate if upgrading to 4G is practical.

BTW, a VZ customer care person told me recently that VZ allows more than the two 90-day suspensions per year. He said they don't like to, but they'll do it, and they have in fact done so for me. I'm presently on my third suspend.

I can tell you that the suspensions are at the representatives discretion and they are supposed to charge a $15 suspension fee after the two free 90 day periods have expired. I had some issues getting my account suspended this winter due to this but they did eventually cave, not sure I'll be so lucky when I repeat the process this year.

I have the Pantech UML290 and it is both 3G & 4G. The card has external antenna plugs for both so my cellular amp plugs into the 3G jack and when they come out with a 4G amp, I can run that as well. I had been on Sprint but, they seem to have lost a ton of area throughout the plains so I switched to Verizon last year and have had great coverage ever since.
Have you had any issues with the 3G antenna port? Over at 3GStore.com, they have a big red warning on the UML290 page about it being excessively fragile, with multiple reports of customers breaking the device while attempting to use the port. This is the main factor keeping me from switching to the UML290 at this point.

Both the 3G modems I've used (U727 and UMW190) have been fairly touchy as it is, and the antenna adapter seems to come loose about 10x/chase.

I can see how it could be fragile but, I have had no issues with it....The antenna connection can look like it's not plugged in all the way and some might want to force it and they end up breaking it. I have had no issues with the plug coming loose on it.

Have you had any issues with the 3G antenna port? Over at 3GStore.com, they have a big red warning on the UML290 page about it being excessively fragile, with multiple reports of customers breaking the device while attempting to use the port. This is the main factor keeping me from switching to the UML290 at this point.

Both the 3G modems I've used (U727 and UMW190) have been fairly touchy as it is, and the antenna adapter seems to come loose about 10x/chase.

Here's a picture of how I use my Cradlepoint router, 3G modem (Sprint), and Rockies amplifier from Maximum Signal. I have an auto tote that equipment (for connetivity) is stored in and everything is placed in the back of our vehicle. Since you mention you have a Civic I'm not sure if there is a DC power plug in the back hatch area, but if there is you could utilize a setup similar to this, then you wouldn't have to worry about the antennae port getting knocked loose 10x per day. A picture of the USB fan I previously mentioned is in the top right half section of the tote. This supplies a constant stream of fresh air blowing across the router so it doesn't get too hot and adversely affect connectivity in the field. The power cords to hook everything up are off to the right where the power plug is located in our vehicle. I just use a high quality 2 way splitter to power the amp and router, and a third one to power the fan. So far it has worked very well for me and all I do for my antennae is connect the cable and put it outside the vehicle. Here's a picture of the setup:

IMGP0073.jpg

I modified my sleek 4g v by clipping the bottom holder and extended it so it the top half of my phone sits in the bottom half of the cradle. The antennas on my phone are located in the top half. I then put my Verizon mifi on the top half of the sleek and it boosts both. I don't care for the factory antenna but i still got average of 2-3 bar gain or around 25+ db gain with it. Doesn't look the best but data is more important to me over looking perfect. Most don't even realize its modified. I get 4g almost everywhere in my stations viewing area but obviously that won't be the case everywhere.

I am looking to add mobile data this spring. I am definitely looking at Millenicom, but right now, I'm not sure which is better. The USB dongle, or the Hotspot? The USB dongle seems to be a Sprint device, and I'm assuming uses the Sprint network, whereas the Novatel MIFI is a Verizon device. Looking at the coverage maps for Sprint and Verizon, it seems Verizon has better coverage, especially here in Minnesota (not to mention LTE coverage).

Either way, I want an external antenna, and possibly/most likely a booster.

So, which is better:

1- Millenicom Sierra Wireless USB dongle hooked up to a cradlepoint router and booster w/external antenna - on the Sprint Network

or

2- Millenicom Novatel MIFI 3G/4G Hotspot with booster/external antenna - on the Verizon Network

I am mainly running 1 laptop, 1 iPad, 1 iPhone, but there will be times when there will be a 2nd laptop. I am also considering building an on-board computer (small form-factor PC with an SSD) under the back seat, likely not until 2014 though.

Most of my chasing will be in Minnesota, South Dakota, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, etc... (Upper Midwest).

Thanks!

Verizon is the way to go....I dumped Sprint last season and went to Verizon and my coverage is 100 times better(even with a cellular amp)

Thanks! I was already leaning that way anyways, so this just confirmed it. Of course, I'll add a booster and antenna to it for maximum performance. The 20GB limit should be plenty for GR3, ChaserTV, SpotterNetwork, SPC web site, some minor surfing to pass the time, etc..

Thinking about going with the Millenicom hotspot plan. As I understand it, this plan comes with the Novatel 4620LE MIFI device. Does anyone have any experience with this device? Just mainly wondering how well it stays connected, and if it has any 3G/4G handoff issues.

Have had our 4620 since Thursday so can only give you feedback so far......using it with no antenna or amp ATM and have found it surprisingly good along I70 from Denver to Hillsboro, KS.. Switches happily backwards and forwards between 4G & 3G, had overage all the way.. Used intermittently....every time I turned it on it found the 2 devices in the car very quickly.

User friendly...haven't hooked it up to the laptop and run GPSGate yet...that will be my ultimate test.... Intend to get an amp to go with it. Nice to do multiple devices without tangling in cables...only get about 4 hours life out of it per charge so I want to get a cig lighter connection for it...as well as having the 110V for the inverter.

Anybody with any inside info on when sprint will get their 4g lte stuff going on a broader scale?

My sprint contract will run out soon enough, but I'd like to stay with them because I get a hell of a deal. 60 a month for unlimited data and all the voice/text I need.

Even with a discount at verizon, I doubt I could do better 80 or 90, and that'd be with only a few GB of data. (of course 2gb would probably be good most of the year)

Not a lot of RECENT news (technology or business related) floating around the web regarding Sprint. Personally, I'd have my reservations about putting too much stock or dependence on Sprint technology if speed and coverage (beyond where it today) is of chief concern.

found this older article ...
http://gigaom.com/2011/10/07/sprint-dials-up-lte-for-its-4g-future-but-leaves-clearwire-hanging/

There is lots of Sprint 4g LTE news. It just takes a little digging to find it. Sadly, It doesn't look like much of Tornado Alley will have coverage this year or next. Maybe 2020?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/

Anyone had experience with Verizon's Share Everything plan? If I'm looking at it right I can get 4GB of date for $50 a month with that plan or the prepaid plan which is 2GB for $60 a month. Seems like an easy decision but not sure if the share everything plan requires a contract or not. Anyone know what I should go with? I already have my device and I've used Verizon the last 2 years just the month to month plan.

Back