The 2013 mobile data Q&A thread

Last night, I drove northeast of Highland, IL where there is no 4G service, and my Cradlepoint MBR95 did not switch to 3G (lost all internet connectivity). I went into the connection settings, and there was no CDMA option (only LTE, EVDO and 1Xrtt). I tried switching it manually to EVDO and then 1xrtt. When I did that, the modem led went green indicating a connection, but I couldn't pull any data through it. I will have to see if there is a firmware update to add CDMA support. EDIT: I just realized that my modem is still in LTE only mode - that may be the problem. I'll have to plug it into the laptop to switch it, then test again.

The VL600 has been a solid device when used on the laptop, no problems with it. I haven't used the antenna port, so I can't comment on that.

Regarding inverter battery drain, I have accidentally left my power switched on overnight a few times. If the laptop is off, I've seen it go more than 8 hours without any effect on the battery. If the laptop is on, it will only go a couple of hours before a noticeable sluggishness on startup. Any more than 3 hours with the laptop on, and the battery will be drained to the point of not being able to start the car. I've had a hardwired power setup in all of my vehicles going back to 2004, and in those 9 years I've drained the battery this way maybe 4 times. Keep a fully charged battery jump starter and that will get you through those incidents.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO if you actually get to the point where your gear is causing car problems on a chase, you need to rethink the priorities of your setup a bit. Just saying.

My power setup hasn't ever caused problems on a chase, mainly because the laptop always goes into the hotel. I use my power system daily (non-chasing) for the dashcams/occasional laptop use. Battery issues 4 times over 9 years (IE, once every other year) isn't enough of a problem to worry about. That's just me..

I had used a Cradlepoint with a Sprint USB the last four years. When Sprint was dropped by Pioneer Wireless in NW OK I started to look around. I went with Verizon and got a 4620L Jet Pack. This works like the Cradlepoint up to 10 devices, 4g coverage in much of the Oklahoma chase area is very good and the unit falls back to 3g with no problems. It is way faster than the old Sprint card. I have been getting data in areas that were dead zones in the past. Uploading video in seconds when I remember the Tmobile days where I had to stop and wait forever to get the video to upload and lose the storm in the process.

I'm once again going with the good ol' Verizon USB760 modem - 3G Only. Only pay for the months I use it and I suspend service during the down months with no activation fee. I've had pretty good luck with it and got decent signal in NW OK last year with the Rockies amp. On the flip side, it didn't take much to lose all signal once the towers were getting pinged for data from chaser activity. I'm not for sure if that was more about weak signal or the modem itself, especially hearing others stories about having data issues. For me, the speed of data isn't so much an issue once I'm on a storm it's just a matter of being able to get data at all. The Cradlepoint sounds like something I need to look into though. What advantages would it give someone who is running everything through a laptop? I don't have data on my phone (yes I'm one of the remaining people on the earth who doesn't carry a smartphone:p), so would it help me?

If you're running everything through one laptop, then the Cradlepoint isn't necessary. The benefit is if you have multiple wifi-capable devices, or if you have others in the vehicle that also have laptops/tablets. I bought mine mainly so I could use my wifi-only tablet on the road along with my laptop.

I'm once again going with the good ol' Verizon USB760 modem - 3G Only. Only pay for the months I use it and I suspend service during the down months with no activation fee. I've had pretty good luck with it and got decent signal in NW OK last year with the Rockies amp. On the flip side, it didn't take much to lose all signal once the towers were getting pinged for data from chaser activity. I'm not for sure if that was more about weak signal or the modem itself, especially hearing others stories about having data issues. For me, the speed of data isn't so much an issue once I'm on a storm it's just a matter of being able to get data at all. The Cradlepoint sounds like something I need to look into though. What advantages would it give someone who is running everything through a laptop? I don't have data on my phone (yes I'm one of the remaining people on the earth who doesn't carry a smartphone:p), so would it help me?
Sean, how are you able to get out of the activation fee? How many months do you keep service activated each year? Also, are you an existing Verizon customer for your cell service?

As a non-customer, I was under the impression that I'll have to pay the $35 activation fee every spring when I activate my modem, since it's turned off the majority of the year (8-9 months). If this isn't the case, I'll not only be happy, but that will be even more reason to choose Verizon over Millenicom for service.

Like you, I have very often experienced an inability to connect at all during chaser convergences -- even in major metropolitan areas! For example, I recall not being able to connect near Chickasha on 5/24/11 as the tornado was developing. This is a perfect example of what has turned me off to using USB modems directly connected to a laptop. I guarantee that any Verizon cell customer with a smartphone would have had service at that location and time. My gut feeling is that it's the drivers and/or software (VZAccess Manager) that cause a lot of these problems. As such, I'm hoping a Cradlepoint-type router will make things go much smoother.

If the Cradlepoint doesn't help matters, then I might get desperate enough to consider an LTE tablet next season in lieu of modems or hotspots. Either by rooting or using third-party apps like FoxFi, it should be possible to get a cheap model and use it as a WiFi hotspot. The obvious downside is that no tablets have external antenna ports. However, I'd probably take slightly-reduced coverage (lacking an amp) over losing my connection every other time I'm near a storm.

If you're running everything through one laptop, then the Cradlepoint isn't necessary. The benefit is if you have multiple wifi-capable devices, or if you have others in the vehicle that also have laptops/tablets. I bought mine mainly so I could use my wifi-only tablet on the road along with my laptop.
My main motivation for buying a Cradlepoint is not to use multiple devices (though I may do that too), but more for the reasons I just mentioned above. This is where I'd love to hear detailed experiences from folks who have used USB modems in both configurations -- connected to a laptop and through a Cradlepoint. Is there any evidence that a Cradlepoint decreases the frequency of dropped connections and other flakiness?

I've never been able to shake the feeling when using USB modems that the drivers/software were adding a whole layer of problems on their own. I've had numerous instances of trying to connect through Sprint or Verizon's software and getting an "authentication error," which would never happen on a smartphone or tablet, since they don't try to "authenticate" anything -- they just grab a signal and go to work. I've also had flaky connections that suddenly improved after restarting Windows.

More than likely, if the device manufacturers and carriers put some real effort into the drivers and software, USB modems would be the best and most reliable option for chasers (which they really should be, given the pricy data plans). But I feel like the reality of the situation is that those issues compromise their reliability to the point of offsetting modems' advantages, at least direct-connected. Again, I'm curious whether Cradlepoint changes the equation.

I've searched here for information and discussion regarding XM/wxworx mobile satellite weather technology. There's not any discussion that I can find that is reasonably current. Is anyone using this and if so, are there any major pros/cons someone should be made aware of if interested (besides upfront and subscription costs)?

I discovered last year that the VZ Access Manager doesn't have to be running for the modem to work. Once you have the drivers installed, the modem works flawlessly without the access manager running. I had many issues with VZ Access Manager dropping connections and giving me 'sim failure' errors all the time, those disappeared once I stopped using the software. I still have to run it to switch from 4G to 3G and back, though - but I just close it once I'm done changing the modem settings.

WxWorx hasn't really changed much since the last discussions we've had about it on these forums. I still use it because it always works. Cell coverage is getting better, but even now is not enough to rely on. April 14 last year, WxWorx was instrumental in my intercepts. I had no cell service in that part of OK most of the day.

Sean, how are you able to get out of the activation fee? How many months do you keep service activated each year? Also, are you an existing Verizon customer for your cell service?

As a non-customer, I was under the impression that I'll have to pay the $35 activation fee every spring when I activate my modem, since it's turned off the majority of the year (8-9 months). If this isn't the case, I'll not only be happy, but that will be even more reason to choose Verizon over Millenicom for service.

I bought my modem through Ebay a couple of years ago, activated it through Verizon and pay month to month ($60) with no contract, 5 GB of data per month. I don't have phone service through them. They allow you to suspend your service up to 6 months of the year without paying a reactivation fee. The last couple of years I've suspended my service in August and resumed service in late February or early March, although there have been times like in October I would activate it for a day or two then suspend service again (which is very convenient). This year I think I'm going to try to stretch the suspension past 6 months just to see if that rule really applies. Overall, I pay about $360 a year for service and that covers storm season and any traveling I want to do in the summer.

If you only use data three months of the year, it might be better just to pay the $35 activation fee.

Sean...I did the same thing with Verizon. Bought a card on Ebay for $45.00 and walked into a Verizon store and they activated it with on their 5GB monthly data(pay as you go) package with no activation fee. My data card is the only thing I have on Verizon and I just jump online and sign into my account and it will let you suspend your service for 3 months at a time...Just remember to continue the suspension at the end of the 3 months and you can just turn it back on for storm season. My monthly bill is just under $51.00 :)

Bought a card on Ebay for $45.00 and walked into a Verizon store and they activated it with on their 5GB monthly data(pay as you go) package with no activation fee. My data card is the only thing I have on Verizon and I just jump online and sign into my account and it will let you suspend your service for 3 months at a time...Just remember to continue the suspension at the end of the 3 months and you can just turn it back on for storm season. My monthly bill is just under $51.00 :)
Jim, what kind of card do you have? It sounds like you're on VZ's 4G plan, which is actually $10 cheaper than their 3G. How is it working for you? I'm still using my USB 760 and would love to get the lower rate if upgrading to 4G is practical.

BTW, a VZ customer care person told me recently that VZ allows more than the two 90-day suspensions per year. He said they don't like to, but they'll do it, and they have in fact done so for me. I'm presently on my third suspend.

I have the Pantech UML290 and it is both 3G & 4G. The card has external antenna plugs for both so my cellular amp plugs into the 3G jack and when they come out with a 4G amp, I can run that as well. I had been on Sprint but, they seem to have lost a ton of area throughout the plains so I switched to Verizon last year and have had great coverage ever since.

Back