The 2013 mobile data Q&A thread

Anyone had experience with Verizon's Share Everything plan? If I'm looking at it right I can get 4GB of date for $50 a month with that plan or the prepaid plan which is 2GB for $60 a month. Seems like an easy decision but not sure if the share everything plan requires a contract or not. Anyone know what I should go with? I already have my device and I've used Verizon the last 2 years just the month to month plan.
If you aren't a Verizon customer, like me, I'd definitely side with the non-prepaid option. The only downside is a $35 activation fee, but even if you only keep your account active for three months, you make that up with the lower monthly rate. Also, I've heard some people say that prepaid customers may not have service in roaming areas where full customers do.

It still works the same as in previous years: as long as you bring your own device, there's no contract.

Interesting side note for Verizon USB modem users: I activated my UMW190 earlier this week on the 4 GB plan, and was given a $50/mo. rate despite it being a 3G device (last year it was $60/mo.). Not sure if it was a mistake, or maybe they've finally stopped gouging users of older devices.

I just upgraded to the Galaxy III phone and noticed that USCC was also offering the hotspot pucks for a $0.01 with data plan. I'm on the $25/month (2gb) plan with the hotspot.....verses my old Blackberry and tethering setup. If I go over its only $10/GB. I normally stay local and chase/spot on the cheap. USCC has pretty good coverage in my area, plus they don't charge data roaming. I also get another 2GB of data on the phone itself, just in case I need to setup quick and just use Radar Scope or Pykl3.

Thread is a couple months old, but I have a relevant experience.

Been using a Verizon MIFI 5510 this year. Excellent in most regards. Solid coverage in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska so far. Long battery life (8+ hours) so much that I often tuck it up between the sun visor and the roof and forget about it all day, grabs the best available network automatically (3G, 4G, etc), allows up to ten devices to connect to it over wifi.

The one thing I found odd is that it had terrible coverage in several rural areas in Oklahoma, obviously somewhat due to trees, but even between OKC and Woodward the coverage was non existent. Some of those areas had ATT coverage, and even locals in Shawnee told me Verizon was terrible out there and in the surrounding areas.

Dave,
I had similar problems this year with my MIFI 4510. For the most part it was great, but there were those times when it went out when i most needed it! Its my understanding that the verizon network may arguably be the best (at this time) in the plains, so Im gunna stick with it. I have read a lot of good things about the wilson sleek signal booster and antenna. I would be interested to hear any input on this accessory.

Tim Carley

Could someone possibly draw a map of the areas in Oklahoma that have coverage with the cell carriers? Not like a map from them as it seems that they are not truthful with the coverage maps they have.

Dave,
I had similar problems this year with my MIFI 4510. For the most part it was great, but there were those times when it went out when i most needed it! Its my understanding that the verizon network may arguably be the best (at this time) in the plains, so Im gunna stick with it. I have read a lot of good things about the wilson sleek signal booster and antenna. I would be interested to hear any input on this accessory.

Tim Carley

It's made a big difference for me.

James,
Am I to assume that it has kept you from dropping connection in the more remote areas? May 9th I was south of Abilene and struggled to keep a signal, and when I had one it was week and downloaded very slow. 90% of the time the Verizon extended 3G works very well.I m just trying to fill in the gaps.

Tim Carley

James,
Am I to assume that it has kept you from dropping connection in the more remote areas? May 9th I was south of Abilene and struggled to keep a signal, and when I had one it was week and downloaded very slow. 90% of the time the Verizon extended 3G works very well.I m just trying to fill in the gaps.

Tim Carley

Yes. It's pretty amazing where I get signal sometimes. I contribute it to both the amp and Verizon.

dear chasers

OK I'm reading all of this and still have no clue who to use for solid........ internet while chasing ?????? I really want to use StormLab real.... bad on one laptop and also mobil threat net that i use now well when were in season hehe. I don't know who to get for internet so i can use stormlab and get on spotternet. I'm running one laptop with radioes hooked up to the power inverter and have everything good to go I just need to find a reliable internet carrier so that I can run stormlab supercharged and get on spotternet as well as using allison house ??????????? can anyone help me with what I need to do ????????.

"MYFOXDFW.COM"

"Keeping YOU 4-Warned"

Shawn C.

"Fox 4-Warn StormTracker"

Shawn,

AT&T or Verizon are probably your best options in terms of coverage in most areas. You will need to buy a wireless internet card or mobile hotspot from either carrier if you do not have a cell phone that can tether to your laptop and provide data. Then, once you have a suitable device, you will need to speak with either provider regarding cellular plans.

Myself I use a Verizon Mifi 5510 prepaid hotspot and pay 60 bucks each month during the summer months for 3GB of monthly data. This has been more than enough data for light internet browsing such as SPC / email / and GRLevel3 etc. They also have plans for 1 week at 256MB for 15 dollars.

As noted earlier in this thread, any carrier has plenty of no-data regions, where you will be out of data for a while. The worst I have seen is no signal for one hour in eastern Wyoming. A signal booster might help in situations like that. Your Mobile Threat Net should obviously have better coverage in theory - I have never tried it, but even satellite data is not always reliable as I know form experiences with satellite phones I've used in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobile Threatnet is OK for a backup if you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket, but I find it to be very weak in terms of features and data latency. Basic radar is it's best feature but it will sometimes be 10-15 minutes old even with the most current image just loaded. It does offer cloud cover satellite image that you won't get with GRLevel, but it stops at 10,000 feet so you can't see where there is real sunshine occurring. There can be a solid thick low cloud cover but if you look at threatnet, it appears there is clear skies. Current surface features (frontal, dry line, etc) location map only refreshes every 3 hours (or 4?). All that said, it will work when you may wander out of any reliable cell coverage. I have not ever been in a situation where satellites were visible, and data was transferring ... it's just what they are transmitting is weak IMO.

STexan thanks for sharing that insight. I've glanced at Mobile ThreatNet a few times wondering if its worth the price... It seems my assessment of how it would meet my needs is correct - less functionality and customization at a much higher price. It might work where there is no cellular, but so far those data dropouts have never cost me a chase, and I always pay for cellular data anyway since there are other good reasons to have it. I'd hate to pay for both as then things would get really expensive, as if chasing wasn't already.

Back