FCC considering ban on cell amps

Brett Benson

Have not heard about this before:

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/02/25/interview-wilson-electronics-on-fccs-potential-cell-booster-ban.html

For some people, cellular signal boosters are an invaluable tool to help connect to their wireless network of choice, but not everyone views signal amplifiers in the same light. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is mulling a possible ban/restriction on cellular network boosters that are used to amplify wireless cellular signal, and is looking for public comment on the issue.

US wireless carriers have commented about how cell boosters are causing interference and disrupting their wireless networks. They essentially claim that cell boosters are generally bad for wireless network health and performance, and ultimately hurt consumers looking for reliable wireless service.

The flip side of the argument has booster makers, like Wilson Electronics, claiming that boosters aren’t detrimental to wireless networks, as long as they are designed well and meet strict certification standards.

We had a chance to sit down with Wilson Electronics’ COO Joe Banos to chat about what potential problems cell boosters pose to wireless networks, how the FCC can ensure that boosters are safe, and what legal ramifications a booster ban would have on the overall US wireless ecosystem. If you’re at all interested in cell boosters, you’re not going to want to miss this

What is it about cell booster technology that makes them potentially disruptive to wireless networks?

The #1 issue is oscillations. This is like in a PA system when the microphone is too close to the speaker or volume turned up too high, u hear a whistle (feedback). A booster can do the same thing when the outside and inside antennas are placed too close to ea other. Many amps out there have no (zero!) oscillation protection, so if they start oscillating (feedback) they could cause interference to a nearby site which would then not be able to hear people trying to place calls on their phones.

The #2 most common problem is caused by a booster that is purchased for improving a signal from a carrier whose site is far away, yet there may be a site of a competing carrier near by (like a block or 2). In this case, though the amp is working and amplifying the far site, the near site belonging to another carrier may be ‘overloaded†by the signal going to the far site from the booster.

A properly designed booster can detect these conditions and shut itself down.

So are your cell boosters designed to prevent the kind of network interference that carriers are afraid of?

Wilson has patented oscillation detection and shut down. If one of our amps oscillates, it is turned off within a few milliseconds. A red steady light then tells the user that an oscillation occurred and antennas most likely need to be separated. Once this is done, the power is turned off and back on. If no oscillation occurs, a green light comes on to signify that all is ok.

Wilson also has circuitry which senses a nearby site and likewise immediately shuts off the amp (even if not oscillating) and lights a red flashing light to indicate the nearby site problem. The problem is sometimes rectified by using a directional antenna. Sometimes the other carrier’s site is too close and a booster can’t be used. This does not happen often (maybe 2 % of the situations where a booster is being used) but if it does, we shut the amp down.

Given that carriers can’t possibly cover every square mile of every city in America with wireless service, you’d think cell boosters are helping more than hurting.

Some day the carriers will realize that properly designed Boosters are customer satisfaction/customer retention tools. What’s sadder is that they will not have a dialog of any sort with us instead of working together to see that boosters can be transparent to the network. If boosters were sold at cell stores maybe there would not be a need for silly “network war†ads by AT&T (NYSE: T) and Verizon (NYSE: VZ). Boosters would make data and voice service more robust. Boosters can also be a great tool for bringing wireless broadband to rural areas and would save carriers from having to build sites in sparsely populated areas.

Are there any statistics that show how helpful cell boosters have been to consumers, or to flip the coin, how damaging cell boosters have been to carriers’ networks?

What problems have occurred with Wilson products are from earlier designs, legacy products. If we ever hear of a problem being caused by a legacy amp, we immediately exchange it for the latest generation which incorporates the protections. Last year we identified 8 complaints out of quite a few thousand amps sold. I’d venture to say that as a whole there are more cell site failures caused by either the carrier’s equipment or power failures, than by Wilson amps. This year, because of the safeguards we are now able to design in, I expect the problems to be close to non existent (for us anyway).

It seems to me that there are open access issues at stake here.

Yes, I feel that the real issue is that the carriers want to maintain control of devices – revenue being a big driver. My opinion is that the “boosters interfere†argument is just a “crutch†the carriers are using to further fight open access.

On the one hand, consumers should be allowed to decide what equipment they want to use on whatever network they choose. On the other hand, there’s the need for carriers to ensure reliable wireless service to all consumers. What do you think the FCC can do to ensure consumer choice without hurting quality of service?

The FCC certification standards have been inadequate. There is equipment out there that should not have been FCC certified, and are giving the good boosters a bad reputation. The FCC needs to mandate that any booster submitted for certification be required to have some method of effective oscillation and overload detection and shut down. This is the basis of our petition to the FCC [Docket 10-4]. Today’s FCC testing for certification does not check for these 2 protections. Some boosters only amplify from the cell site and not back to the site. these products are a fraud. We are also asking that 2 way amplification be required.

Back in the days when telecom companies forbid the use of telecom equipment on their network that wasn’t provided by the telecom carrier themselves, there were legal rulings that required these companies to allow the use of third-party hardware. Can cell boosters be considered network devices? What, if any, legal precedents are relevant to this issue?

The most important precedent is the Carterphone and Hush A Phone decisions.

[Editor's note: you can find more info here - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CMN/is_n9_v21/ai_569360/]

There’s also the issue of enforcement. How does the FCC propose to enforce a ban on cell boosters?

Excellent point. Neither the FCC nor the carriers have the wherewithal to enforce a ban on boosters. I don’t mean to sound silly, but if boosters are outlawed, only the outlaws will be selling boosters. Why? Because there is a tremendous appetite for signal improvement by consumers. If made illegal, legitimate manufacturers such as ourselves may go out of business. Good product will be replaced by cheap and not so great product sold on the web by people who are here today and gone tomorrow, with no or flaky contact info.

Of course the carriers could fix the problem by simply fixing their signals. In my county, the west half is mostly flat and populated. Signal is no problem anywhere. Drive east of town and you lose your signal. Its hilly and has a large Amish population...and they dont do cellphones much. To get a signal there, I have to stop on a hilltop and call in and even that doesnt help in some areas. For the $$ I spend each month at verizon, they could add a tower or two! If I could find a cellphone booster that would fit my DROID, Id but one in a heartbeat.

For those of you with Cyfre and Peak Reception amplifiers ( made by Cyfre ). You have no worries. Cyfre was the only amplifier company not get a subpoena by the FCC at the hearings on this topic and the only amplifier actually approved by major cellular carriers. It comes down to hardware driven amplifiers versus Cyfre's patented software driven technology . The software driven amplifiers are totally invisible to the carriers tower management systems.They cannot even tell you are using one. Gonna get fun out there . We have a brand new line of amplifiers coming out that are even more advanced. They should have FCC Approval very soon as they have been tested for the last 9 months by the FCC and the major cellular carriers. I will post more info as I get it.

Thank god for craigslist, and other means to get things black market. Now...if in fact some of these devices are in fact causing a problem then I won't be adding one to set-up. I'm just not that dependent to have one (as I don't use one now).

But good to know this is out there. Thanks Brett for bringing this to the community here.

For those of you with Cyfre and Peak Reception amplifiers ( made by Cyfre ). You have no worries. Cyfre was the only amplifier company not get a subpoena by the FCC at the hearings on this topic and the only amplifier actually approved by major cellular carriers. It comes down to hardware driven amplifiers versus Cyfre's patented software driven technology . The software driven amplifiers are totally invisible to the carriers tower management systems.They cannot even tell you are using one. Gonna get fun out there . We have a brand new line of amplifiers coming out that are even more advanced. They should have FCC Approval very soon as they have been tested for the last 9 months by the FCC and the major cellular carriers. I will post more info as I get it.

Thanks for clarifying that Gordon. I was a little worried when I first read this thread the other day, but it seems as though it's a non-event for us Cyfre owners. Do keep us posted of any news you learn of as the new line of amps emerge and eventually become available for purchase to the public. I cannot even imagine chasing without a cellular amplifier as it makes a HUGE difference in being able to stay connected with data. Thanks in advance for keeping us abreast of any future changes with your product line.

The FCC is more likely to ban the sale of such devices if they move forward, and not go after those using existing units, which is how they generally handle such problems with devices. So if you want one, be ready to buy one ASAP if they ban them.

W.

A lot of RF amplifiers (other than just cellular) are junk in regards to RF performance. If you looked at them on a service monitor you'd realize how horrible they are, throwing harmonics and spurious emissions all over the spectrum. I can imagine how crappy some of the cellular amps are because they are causing issues with the software side of cellular technology, in addition to RF issues.

I personally don't have one as the US Cellular coverage here in the Great Lakes is outstanding, metro or rural. However, if I were to get on it would be FCC type accepted.

anyone have a link to what type of amps they are talking about?

are these just the little antenna amps you mount on the top of your car?

5727_12.JPG

or something completely different? If it's these little ones, i can't see these causing THAT MUCH interference.

What you have pictures is just an external antenna. What causes issues are bootleg RF amplifiers that boost the paltry output of the cell phone up over a watt or two.

If you google "cell phone amplifier" you should get plenty of hits.

Has an NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) been issued beyond the Petition mentioned above (Docket 10-4?) I can't imagine the Commission making a policy change without a period of public comment.

Sorry but it is alot of amplifiers that are FCC type approved not just bootleg amplifiers are going to be removed from the marketplace. The amplifier manufacturers usually lied about thier actual numbers. In the past you could take your product to any FCC accredited lab for certification . Well the problem is these manufacturers would get FCC accreditation for their own lab. Needless to say they fudged thier numbers trying to get product to market. The new process goes to a specific testing lab . This new process is very intensive and very expensive. Our new amplifier line has been in 10 months at this point ( under the old process you could get your testing done in less than 2 weeks). Cyfre has always worked closely with the carriers in developing amplifiers that do not harm the cellular carriers tower management systems , others cannot say that. The market is going to change drastically very quickly.
What you have pictures is just an external antenna. What causes issues are bootleg RF amplifiers that boost the paltry output of the cell phone up over a watt or two.

If you google "cell phone amplifier" you should get plenty of hits.

Period of public comment has come and gone . It was in January and February . Decisions have been made . Now one of the manufacturers is actually trying to appeal the ruling levied on them ( and it wasn't good)Good news is Cyfre was not even petitioned by the FCC.

Has an NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) been issued beyond the Petition mentioned above (Docket 10-4?) I can't imagine the Commission making a policy change without a period of public comment.

That's too bad.

I'm guessing this is a preventative move since the Enforcement Bureau has been underfunded and thus understaffed. Better to knock out potential interference issues in the front end than have to deal with the problems on the enforcement side.

Back