Why moderator intervention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, my pictures weren't stolen so people can feel free to claim I don't know what im talking about and such but whatever. I'll keep up with what I was saying in the chatroom early this morning.

I agree with Darren that going to court is overkill and if he stops using the pictures, which he has, that there is no real need to sue for damages. Stealing stuff is wrong, but making an example out of a fellow chaser is equally wrong.

At the end of the day he seems like a good guy but he just made some very poor choices in taking the pictures and then in not coming clean. He clearly has video of the tornadoes that could easily have video captures taken from instead of stealing other peoples work. Darin mentioned that Billy didn't know how to do this, well I wish he would have asked as im sure someone would be kind enough to help him. Its not like he wasn't out there as David has seen him and has video of him chasing.

As far as the story and such that they are his pictures goes im not really sure what to make of that. I'll just note that actions speak louder than words and he has removed all of the offending images from what I can tell. For everyone thats like 'Hah, He did remove them even though he claims they are his pictures!', thats rather childish. Everyone knows without a doubt that they weren't his pictures, there is no need what so ever to through it in his face. You don't do anything except make yourself look stupid.

I'm glad David Drummond is doing the right thing even if I personally don't agree with it. But he hasn't been calling Billy names or making threats of revenge and such.

Originally posted by jaybarnsmith

I'm glad David Drummond is doing the right thing even if I personally don't agree with it. But he hasn't been calling Billy names or making threats of revenge and such.

All I want (as do others) is a public admission and an apology, and perhaps an explaination as to why he did it. Period. I could care less about suing anyone, I don't have enough time in my life for the things I WANT to do, muchless make time for that. But, I will if it has to be done.

I can forgive anyone that can own up to their mistakes and make amends and apologies for almost anything and give them another chance. But anyone that continues to lie about what they did in the face of proof I have zero tolerance for that sort of person.

God knows we all have made our share of stupid mistakes in our past. I have made plenty of them. We all deserve a chance to move on. But to get the priviledge to move on, you have to be a man/woman and stand up and admit what you did and apologize for it. If you can't do that, you deserve to get all the hell that comes your way for it.

JayBarnsmith wrote: At the end of the day he seems like a good guy

How does he seem like a good guy Jay?? Does stealing other peoples work and then lying about it make a person "good"?? He did not steal any of my work but that doesnt matter because it could just as easily have happened to me. This was not a "stupid mistake" made by an ignorant person, this was a calculated attempt to steal other peoples work and show it as his own, he cropped off copy right info, lied etc... If he is such a big country music "star' then he should be intelligent enough to know right from wrong and to not steal other peoples pictures/work. I have never launched any personal attacks against him and am just expressing my OPINION. :twisted: :evil:

First, he has removed the images. Second, from whats been told so far he hasn't been selling anyone elses pictures or in any way making money off them. Just because someone makes a mistake in life doesn't mean they are a bad person. Also, in one of the videos he posted you can hear what I assume to be him hope that the tornado doesn't do damage.

A bad guy would be here stealing photos, and selling them for a large profit. Have you considered that he could be doing way worse things such as printing your photos and selling them on ebay? The point is people could be doing way worse things with your photographs besides reproducing them on their websites.

Hopefully he'll own up to it or this will all be resolved as some sort of prank.

wow

I agree with most of what you said JayBarn Smith, but what Billy did was NOT A MISTAKE, how do you ACCIDENTALLY take a number of other chaser's pics, accidentally cropp off there copyright statements, and then lie about it???He is obviously not an evil person because of this but he did it on purpose either to impress other folks or for some other reason, it was no mistake. Cropping off copyright statements shows intent to hide the fact that its not his pics and that there someone else's. He knew what he was doing. Maybe he was temporarily insane or something I dont know...lol

I didn't mean mistake as in he accidently put the wrong picture on his page. But more so a mistake that he made the wrong choice. I don't question that he did it on purpose heh.

Yes - people make mistakes and it doesn't make them bad people ... but we still request that they make amends and restitution for these mistakes, don't we. People make the mistake of driving while intoxicated, killing someone in the process. This didn't necessarily make them an inherently evil person, but society still demands restitution.

In this case, no attempt at restitution, apology or the desire to make things right has even been hinted at. Instead we have excuse after excuse.

Sorry - but there is no defending this. Do not allow this topic to become sidetracked and hijacked by side points. The point is: an individual took something that did not belong to them, passed it off as their own, covered it up, lied about it and now refuses to make things right. Do not make this individual's choices everyone else's problem by telling us that we are the ones causing the issue.

Originally posted by Mike Peregrine
Yes - people make mistakes and it doesn't make them bad people ... but we still request that they make amends and restitution for these mistakes, don't we. People make the mistake of driving while intoxicated, killing someone in the process. This didn't necessarily make them an inherently evil person, but society still demands restitution.

Are you SERIOUS?!?! Did you just try to parallel copyright infrigement to a DUI and killing someone????? :shock: Wow.......

Originally posted by jaybarnsmith
Just because someone makes a mistake in life doesn't mean they are a bad person.

Jay,

Unfortunately, you've only got this half right. If they admit to the mistake and apologize to those they've offended, then yes, you'd be correct. Show us where this has been the case in this instance.

Regards,

Mike

Kiel - please try and keep this in context. The parallel can be drawn with virtually any criminal action. Crime creates victims on all levels doesn't it ... does not matter what the crime is, it causes victimization. In that respect, the parallel is completely accurate. The post had nothing to do with degree of crime and punishment. There was not even a hint of me equating murder with copyright infringement - but you must keep the post in context.

Again, please stay focused on the sole issue of this thread. Someone has victimized others and is so far unwilling to admit it or make amends. That is it ... everything else is just a satellite issue and irrelevant.

Originally posted by Kiel Ortega+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiel Ortega)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike Peregrine

Are you SERIOUS?!?! Did you just try to parallel copyright infrigement to a DUI and killing someone????? :shock: Wow.......[/b]

Mike used a gross example to make his point. I don't see where he is drawing an equivalency except in the broadest, moral sense where it is very much relevant.

Regards,

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Peregrine
Kiel - please try and keep this in context. The parallel can be drawn with virtually any criminal action. Crime creates victims on all levels doesn't it ... does not matter what the crime is, it causes victimization. In that respect, the parallel is completely accurate. The post had nothing to do with degree of crime and punishment. There was not even a hint of me equating murder with copyright infringement - but you must keep the post in context.

Again, please stay focused on the sole issue of this thread. Someone has victimized others and is so far unwilling to admit it or make amends. That is it ... everything else is just a satellite issue and irrelevant.

From what I can tell from the title of this thread, the topic is why did a moderator shut down another thread. Which I've seen 4 or 5 posts about that. So really, this thread doesn't belong in W&C but in the ST Site Discussion area, but since none of the discussion is on why the moderator shut down the thread, this thread should probably be locked also.

Speaking of context, why not mention embezzlement or theft when making the vicitmization parallel. Seems much more in context to the thread than a DUI.

Originally posted by Kiel Ortega
Speaking of context, why not mention embezzlement or theft when making the vicitmization parallel. Seems much more in context to the thread than a DUI.

If it helps you grasp the concept of the post, please feel free to use any analogy you would like.

Originally posted by Kiel Ortega+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiel Ortega)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike Peregrine

Are you SERIOUS?!?! Did you just try to parallel copyright infrigement to a DUI and killing someone????? :shock: Wow.......[/b]

Haha, we need to form a group for this - maybe SCACI (storm chasers against copyright infringement). Maybe others will have better acronyms...

Oh and just my opinion, I think moderators can close down a thread if they see fit because, well, thats part of what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back