What Is The Smallest Recorded Supercell?

Good day,

Jason,
That was unreal. Although I've seen some LP's that were not too big, that one takes the cake. I'm not sure if it was a Supercell, but I tend to think it had all of the ingredients except for size. It definately had a strong updraft and inflow. But did it have RFD or FFD? Or did the minute size of it allow the air that rose to be replaced by air from 1000-800mb? Forgive me if my questions seem stupid, I'm still learning.

Jason, thanks for the post / You-Tube link. His time lapse can be seen from 0:15 to 0:23 in the video. Amazing stuff.

Wesley, I was chasing with Jason as well on that storm, along with a group of others (Jeff Gammons, Amos Magliocco, and Steve Miller).

The storm was so small, I'll refer to it as our "ZP" storm, that I am not sure of any RFD / FFD. I have also seen larger "LP" cells, with no evidence of such (RFD / FFD) so maybe there was one of such but too small to discern from our vantage point.

Despite the strong updraft, and amazing horizontal slanting of the updraft from the shear, I think your assumption of air from the 800 / 1000 MB levels being drawn into the cell are correct, negating any downdrafts. Also, lack of precipitation loading will cause a lack of a downdraft, as the entire cell is completely inflow dominant, more so than an LP storm, and nearly steady-state during it's life-cycle, before shrinking.

This storm (or cloud?) was on May 22, 2003 near Studley, Kansas (Sheridan County). It developed in a storm environment marked by high instability (CAPE) and shear, but surface dewpoints barely in the low-mid 50's. Boundary intersections gave the boost to overcome the cap and LFC, but the storm instantly shrunk after the sun got within 5 degrees of the horizon.

Also, a thing to note is that there was another cell (which also appears in Jason's TL video after 0:23) was practically next to the rotating previous "ZP" cell after it weakened and showed almost little or no shear / rotation. I assume a local speed-max or "jet-let" was above the "ZP" storm and not over the new one to it's west afterwards.

Below is my chase log entry for this storm, which can also be found at the link here: http://www.sky-chaser.com/mwcl2003.htm.

May 22, 2003 - 7:30 PM ... Observation of a small but fully rotating LP (and low-topped) supercell storm near Studley, Kansas north of highway 24. This storm was not penetrated but assumed to be a strong thunderstorm. The storm had a tight, LP structure with low-top and rotating low-level meso with the "stacked-Plate" effect, just very small! The storm lasted for about an hour and a half after becoming detached from a multi-cell storm cluster. A 2003 Chevy Blazer was used to chase the storms. Documentation was still photos and a camcorder. Surface heating, a convergence boundary, and high speed / directional shear environment with limited moisture caused the storm. A severe thunderstorm watch was also valid for the area until 11 PM, CDT.

My 2 cents worth,

April 2006 C IL, we grow em' small round here...

002.jpg

Talk about sustained updraft, it basically just parked all the way through dusk. Note: perhaps decieving but this was not a multicell cluster. One up, one down.

Forget the date but pretty sure John Farley remembers this day, lotsa hailers.

Edit: referencing Scott's reply, if a supercell is a single rotating updraft, then at what point does the updraft lose the "updraft" and earn status as "supercell"? Would the descriptive change be one measured scientifically or determined visually?

Paul:
I like the definition of a supercell being a storm that possesses a mesocyclone. Thus, it becomes a matter of defining a mesocyclone. I would say it is a deep, persistent, rotating updraft (the Doswell definition)...downdraft not necessary. However, I would think that for prosperity, it would need a downdraft as an exhaust mechanism.

At what point does a dying supercell stop being a supercell. These storms got real skinny may 4th last year (just south of the Greensburg storm)

Attachments

• may0407.jpg
    may0407.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 92
  • may0407b.jpg
    may0407b.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 90
July 29th, 2008......smallest supercell (besides 11/27/05) I've chased....in southern Lyon County, KS. Remenants of Hurricane Dolly provided adequate shear coupled with sufficient CAPE in the lowest 3 km.

c20969b4d2a665e4e2a0100321819d67.jpg

I don't have a radar image of it, however...

More pictures here

So while everyone was up in Harper Cty. KS on 12 May 2004, I had to work so I was stuck near home. I was left with this pretty amazing event out near Cordell.

Scenario: Supercell to right of frame, updraft in frame is the left-split from a southern storm.
[Broken External Image]:http://people.aero.und.edu/~kennedya/2004/CHASE-051204/crw_9444_std.jpg

They later merged...
[Broken External Image]:http://people.aero.und.edu/~kennedya/2004/CHASE-051204/crw_9504_std.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://people.aero.und.edu/~kennedya/2004/CHASE-051204/crw_9526_std.jpg

Probably goes down as the best storm interaction I've seen as of yet...

Full series at:
http://people.aero.und.edu/~kennedya/2004/CHASE-051204/index.html

I had this little guy spin up in front of me for about 15-20 minutes before it was blown over by an HP beast to the southeast. (Things were moving N/NW on this day, I am looking due south at it.) It started a little wider and seemed to tighten up as it grew. Off to the right of the image was a long anvil. You can see a couple more sequences of this little guy from the main gallery: http://www.aircrafter.org/boggs/stormchasing/2008-05-22/index.html

[Broken External Image]:http://www.aircrafter.org/boggs/stormchasing/2008-05-22/pictures/IMG_2076_pic.JPG

Thought at first Paul Hadfield might have meant this one:

539b7df0c1fc6d210474413ef9b067f5.jpg

However, this was July 13, 2004, so way before the storms he was talking about. This was the dying phase on one of the last storms of a day when multiple tornadoes occurred farther north, but I was tied up at work until 4 p.m. This last gasp south or SE of Bloomington, IL was the end of a storm that looked like it wanted to be a LP supercell, but all it could do was get blown apart, at least by the time I got on it. This same cell that earlier gave me a nice rainbow, but nothing approaching severe in the time I was on it.

So yesterday I witnessed a nice looking updraft complete with wall cloud, dry slot and downdraft (albeit very small). This low topped LP mini supercell produced a weak tornado with a damage path of about 5 miles in Terry, Ms. It's funny I thought of this old thread this morning so I guess it's time to revive it.

Attachments

• Mini Tornadic Supercell.jpg
    Mini Tornadic Supercell.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 319
April 2006 C IL, we grow em' small round here...

Forget the date but pretty sure John Farley remembers this day, lotsa hailers.

Edit: referencing Scott's reply, if a supercell is a single rotating updraft, then at what point does the updraft lose the "updraft" and earn status as "supercell"? Would the descriptive change be one measured scientifically or determined visually?

Paul, there were a lot of hailers on April 7, but I'm not sure if that is the day you mean. The storms that day were high-based, but I don't recall them as being particularly low-topped and don't have any photos that would definitively let you tell. If not that day, then I don't know.

EDIT - Yikes, I just noted that this was a really old, revived thread. Most of the links don't work on the new version of ST, but still an interesting discussion. Just did not realize I was replying to something so old!

Back