• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Advice for eastern chaser heading to the plains for the first time

While the people who post here are enthusiastic about storm chasing and the many contributions it has made to weather science (with, perhaps, more on the way, see: Meteorologists: Tornado "Tipping Vorticity" ), I'm beginning to wonder if you really wish to chase at this time?

If not, that's fine! Wait until a time when you feel comfortable or be an "armchair chaser." Don't feel pressured.

Regardless, we are happy you are posting here and wish you the best.

If I said something that made you think I don't know what I am doing, you should absolutely let me know, I'm not going to take offense at any good faith advice, but I'm not sure why my comment about north escape routs made you think I am unprepared, and if there was something I got wrong I would like to know what it was

I've been chasing for 6 years and studying storm structure and advanced skywarn manuals for 6 years before that. Around here I am confident in my ability to closely observe everything from single cell to supercell storms while staying out of the danger zones, no one pressured me into chasing or into any chase trips, I got into it all myself, and came up with the idea for the plains trip, the reason I am asking so many questions is because I know there are meaningful differences in NY vs CO chasing and don't want any surprises on the plains, it's not like I am new to chasing, just new to the plains

That said, if I said something that made you think I don't know what I am doing, you should absolutely let me know, I'm not going to take offense at any good faith advice, but I'm not sure why my comment about north escape routs made you think I am unprepared, and if there was something I got wrong I would like to know what

Brian, I was not focusing on the escape route comment especially but on the totality of your comments about roads, law enforcement, etc., etc. While I did not know you had chased in NY before, I was puzzled as I knew you were from the East and visibility and roads are much better here (Kanas specifically, and the Great Plains in general) here than in NY. My intent was solely to be helpful.

I do note you keep focusing on Colorado, which is fine. Please be aware that, in general, roads throughout Kansas are better than eastern Colorado.

If you have specific questions about Kansas and wish to contact me personally, you may do so at: [email protected] .

Good luck with your chases!!

Brian, I was not focusing on the escape route comment especially but on the totality of your comments about roads, law enforcement, etc., etc. While I did not know you had chased in NY before, I was puzzled as I knew you were from the East and visibility and roads are much better here (Kanas specifically, and the Great Plains in general) here than in NY. My intent was solely to be helpful.

I do note you keep focusing on Colorado, which is fine. Please be aware that, in general, roads throughout Kansas are better than eastern Colorado.

If you have specific questions about Kansas and wish to contact me personally, you may do so at: [email protected] .

Good luck with your chases!!

No worries, I know you are being helpful, I just want to know why you think I am unprepared, so that I can either prepare myself, avoid whatever I am unprepared to do, or correct anything that I might have said to falsely imply that I am unprepared, you should not fear that I am taking offense in any way, I'm here for advice

While visibility, terrain, and road orgainization on the plains is excellent, NY roads (at least in the mohawk valley) are almost always paved, even the little back roads, hence my questions about Colorado dirt roads

I'm not sure how my comments about law enforcement made you think I am unprepared to chase? Other than asking here, I'm not sure how I would know how law enforcement acts in jurisdictions i've never been to

My focus is on CO because for logistical reasons most of my chasing will be in CO and some of WY, but I would love to chase in KS if I get the chance;)

No worries, I know you are being helpful, I just want to know why you think I am unprepared, so that I can either prepare myself, avoid whatever I am unprepared to do, or correct anything that I might have said to falsely imply that I am unprepared, you should not fear that I am taking offense in any way, I'm here for advice

Perhaps I used the wrong word: instead of saying "unprepared," I was getting the impression of "reluctance." Having had this exchange, I feel you are go to go.

Perhaps I used the wrong word: instead of saying "unprepared," I was getting the impression of "reluctance." Having had this exchange, I feel you are go to go.

Part of the reason for all my road questions is because I happen to be car shopping at the time (actually did a test drive just the other day) and I plan on doing more plains chasing going forward, so ability to handle the plains road grids is something I am looking for in a vehical

My concern about north escape routs were more about getting stuck as the tornado occludes and turns north

I'm planning to build one of those deployable hail gaurds that can cover most windows, so I am not too concerned about smaller hail, and I personally would be more worried about the wind effects on whatever I am sheltering under

Squall lines here move 45-60 mph, and the roads are 40-55 mph roads that are never straight, so maintaining even 40 mph in a single direction is extremely difficult

Its up to you if you want to chase that close where such decisions become a factor. Any HP beast, bad road network, tons of traffic, or other risk factor will have me back off at least a mile from where I might otherwise be up closer. I'm not at all thinking I cannot sill get into trouble out there, but the vast majority of people who have to worry about storms taking a turn or escaping through the core are already usually too close for the situation. If its raining a ton, we all slow down on the highway to avoid hydroplaning right? Why not back off when extra hazards show up around the storm, is my thinking, to avoid the situation being on or beyond the edge of control.

Other chasers may see it differently. I love structure and lightning a lot anyway, and cannot see much of that way up close. When a tornado is happening, I can only reiterate stay out of path (possible path, including unexpected motion including turns and even reversals and loops) and you should not have to make those difficult decisions to escape. Plus you get that beautiful light if you are parallel to the hook rather than in front.

To each their own style and I wish you luck and enjoyment when you make it out to the plains.

Its up to you if you want to chase that close where such decisions become a factor. Any HP beast, bad road network, tons of traffic, or other risk factor will have me back off at least a mile from where I might otherwise be up closer. I'm not at all thinking I cannot sill get into trouble out there, but the vast majority of people who have to worry about storms taking a turn or escaping through the core are already usually too close for the situation. If its raining a ton, we all slow down on the highway to avoid hydroplaning right? Why not back off when extra hazards show up around the storm, is my thinking, to avoid the situation being on or beyond the edge of control.

Other chasers may see it differently. I love structure and lightning a lot anyway, and cannot see much of that way up close. When a tornado is happening, I can only reiterate stay out of path (possible path, including unexpected motion including turns and even reversals and loops) and you should not have to make those difficult decisions to escape. Plus you get that beautiful light if you are parallel to the hook rather than in front.

To each their own style and I wish you luck and enjoyment when you make it out to the plains.

I try to avoid being under or in front of mesocyclones, and around here I consider the hazard zone to be the meso (tornadoes) RFD (wind and trees) and FFD (wind and trees, and hail), so basically the whole supercell, and I watch from south of the meso, in general I don't want to be close enough that I have to even consider "into the core" escapes, but I still want to know the fesibility of it just in case somthign weird happens

I'de rather ask what to do if I put myself in a bad position rather than solely relying on my avoiding bad positions, even though that is very important

Back