Advice for eastern chaser heading to the plains for the first time

My concern about north escape routs were more about getting stuck as the tornado occludes and turns north

I'm planning to build one of those deployable hail gaurds that can cover most windows, so I am not too concerned about smaller hail, and I personally would be more worried about the wind effects on whatever I am sheltering under

Squall lines here move 45-60 mph, and the roads are 40-55 mph roads that are never straight, so maintaining even 40 mph in a single direction is extremely difficult

Its up to you if you want to chase that close where such decisions become a factor. Any HP beast, bad road network, tons of traffic, or other risk factor will have me back off at least a mile from where I might otherwise be up closer. I'm not at all thinking I cannot sill get into trouble out there, but the vast majority of people who have to worry about storms taking a turn or escaping through the core are already usually too close for the situation. If its raining a ton, we all slow down on the highway to avoid hydroplaning right? Why not back off when extra hazards show up around the storm, is my thinking, to avoid the situation being on or beyond the edge of control.

Other chasers may see it differently. I love structure and lightning a lot anyway, and cannot see much of that way up close. When a tornado is happening, I can only reiterate stay out of path (possible path, including unexpected motion including turns and even reversals and loops) and you should not have to make those difficult decisions to escape. Plus you get that beautiful light if you are parallel to the hook rather than in front.

To each their own style and I wish you luck and enjoyment when you make it out to the plains.

Its up to you if you want to chase that close where such decisions become a factor. Any HP beast, bad road network, tons of traffic, or other risk factor will have me back off at least a mile from where I might otherwise be up closer. I'm not at all thinking I cannot sill get into trouble out there, but the vast majority of people who have to worry about storms taking a turn or escaping through the core are already usually too close for the situation. If its raining a ton, we all slow down on the highway to avoid hydroplaning right? Why not back off when extra hazards show up around the storm, is my thinking, to avoid the situation being on or beyond the edge of control.

Other chasers may see it differently. I love structure and lightning a lot anyway, and cannot see much of that way up close. When a tornado is happening, I can only reiterate stay out of path (possible path, including unexpected motion including turns and even reversals and loops) and you should not have to make those difficult decisions to escape. Plus you get that beautiful light if you are parallel to the hook rather than in front.

To each their own style and I wish you luck and enjoyment when you make it out to the plains.

I try to avoid being under or in front of mesocyclones, and around here I consider the hazard zone to be the meso (tornadoes) RFD (wind and trees) and FFD (wind and trees, and hail), so basically the whole supercell, and I watch from south of the meso, in general I don't want to be close enough that I have to even consider "into the core" escapes, but I still want to know the fesibility of it just in case somthign weird happens

I'de rather ask what to do if I put myself in a bad position rather than solely relying on my avoiding bad positions, even though that is very important

Back