Thoughts on first few weeks in May

As long as we get another tornado outbreak in eastern CO in May (ala May 17, 2000 except without the low visibility rainwrapped tornadoes associated with HP supercells moving west/southwest around a deepening low pressure center; I'm not kidding, it was insane, 23 tornadoes touched down, one of which was an F2 that dropped right on top of my farm!), I'll be quite happy. Or if I can't have that, I hope that there is a real good outbreak the last week of May in western KS/NE. Until I get out of school, if there is some good storms locally I'll do some after school chasing. I get out of school on Tuesday, May 23rd, so I have the whole rest of that week except for Saturday the 27th off, because the school band has to play for graduation. I play the baritone and I have the main part of good old Pomp 'n' Circumstance, plus I have a lot of graduation parties to go to so there better not be an outbreak on the 27th or I'll tear my hair out! :angry:
Then I have until August 18th to chase whenever/wherever I want. I have a feeling this will be a good chase season and can't wait for summer! Only three more weeks... :D
My feelings aside, I have a feeling we'll see some alright severe wx potential next week in the Tuesday/Wednesday timeframe for KS and OK. But I'd keep a close eye on the trough that's supposed to arrive in the Plains around the 8th/9th... We might have a potentially large and nasty outbreak from that system if all the right ingredients come together.

Well, i head out tomorrow and should be out til the 14th or so, and my only thoughts now are that im overjoyed that i dont see a huge ridge like the one that wiped out my end of May chase last year! :angry:
In the short term, much uncertainty about the boundaries in TX next few days, then even more uncertainty.
As long as i see that 160+ kt jet in the Pacific, it gives me hope, but models still struggling with the cutoff off CA this weekend and its impact on the overall flow. I head south tomorrow afternoon, probably initially toward LBB and take it from there. See yall on the road!

Back