CHASE CASE 14

Holy Dryline Day Batman! Pick your cell from KS to TX. I moved from Jetmore up to Wakeeney and am seeing a tornado on the Wakeeney/Hill City, KS cell.

Approaching Newton the TW came out. Nothing was looking good within reach, so I changed course and am expecting Junction City, KS, for 00Z. There should be an old boundary up there (where the earlier storms went "poof") and I'm seeing some interesting confluence and development up toward Salina in the visible satellite as I travel.

My cell south of Woodward died. Hope I caught a tube around 22Z before it did! I am now blasting west toward the TX panhandle to try to catch a cell along the line that has explosively developed along the dryline. I've still got 2 hours of daylight, so I am hopeful!

I am dropping back to the southwest towards Minneola KS on the supercell to the sw of Dodge City. This one has that v-notched look and should be on the verge of producing some degree of cyclonic mayhem before dark. I think I know the day now...doggone it !! :cool:

Still sitting under the Meade KS cell and probably watching a tube now if not I will be very shortly. Maybe at some point I can drop south into the Northern TX panhandle here after a while too....we'll see what happens.

I'm sat in Abernathy, TX still watching this line roll on in. Iimagine I might have to drop a touch south to the tail end charlie if I'm to catch a possible tornado, but it's hard to say how far south given the size of the radar image ;) Things look like they might go a little too linear further north up the dryline. With a better resolution radar image, I might be able to see if the cell north of this one I was originally aiming for is still any good. As I don't have that, tail end charlie seems the safest bet!

Last edited by a moderator:
***00Z SUPPLEMENTAL UPDATE***

I WAS ONLY GOING TO SHOW THE 0100Z UPDATE, BUT AFTER LOOKING AT THE 00Z RADAR AND VISIBLE, I HAD TO SHOW THIS. THERE WILL BE A FINAL 0100Z UPDATE THIS AFTERNOON, AND THEN I WILL SUBMIT STORM REPORTS TONIGHT AS WELL.

I WILL GO AHEAD AND SAY THAT ONE PARTICULAR INDIVIDUAL DECIDED TO CHASE IN WISCONSIN. I WILL GO AHEAD AND RELEASE THE INFO FOR WISCONSIN SINCE THE ACTION IS DEAD NOW. THERE WAS A TORNADO REPORT IN WISCONSIN. SO GREAT JOB TO TAYLOR CAMPBELL FOR TOTALLY NAILING THAT ONE. REGARDLESS OF IF IT WAS RAIN WRAPPED OR BRIEF, I WILL GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR THAT INTERCEPT, SO ENJOY YOUR STEAK.

VISIBLE SATELLITE

MIDWEST: http://i42.tinypic.com/2mhcvp3.jpg

RADAR COMPOSITE:

MIDWEST: http://i40.tinypic.com/25pi7n4.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION

MD #9: http://i41.tinypic.com/359zbjn.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0628 PM CDT

AREAS AFFECTED...TX PANHANDLE SWD ACROSS THE TRANSPECOS REGION OF W
TX

CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH

VALID

STORMS CONTINUE TO DEVELOP ALONG DRYLINE / WITHIN WRN HALF OF WW.

LATEST VISIBLE / RADAR IMAGERY SHOWS STORMS CONTINUING TO DEVELOP
WITHIN ZONE OF LOW-LEVEL CONVERGENCE INVOF DRYLINE NOW EXTENDING
FROM NEAR AMA SWD TO NEAR FST. AIRMASS E OF DRYLINE REMAINS MOIST /
UNSTABLE...WITH DEWPOINTS IN THE UPPER 60S TO LOW 70S AND MEAN-LAYER
CAPE EXCEEDING 3000 J/KG.

ALONG WITH FAVORABLY MOIST / UNSTABLE AIRMASS...SELY SURFACE WINDS
NEAR 20 KT VEER TO VEER TO WSWLY AT 40 KT AT MID-LEVELS...RESULTING
IN FAVORABLY-SHEARED ENVIRONMENT FOR SUPERCELLS AND ASSOCIATED
SEVERE / TORNADO THREAT. EXPECT SEVERE THREAT TO PERSIST -- AND
PERHAPS INCREASE WITH TIME...AS INTENSIFYING LOW-LEVEL JET MAY
RESULT IN AN INCREASE IN SFC-1 KM SHEAR...POSSIBLY ENHANCING TORNADO
POTENTIAL.

23Z update: I'm glad I decided to stay with the Meade County cell; I've been sitting at the junction of 160 and 283 just a way's south of Minneola and have some great shots on my camera. It would appear that low level flow should continue to provide moisture to this cell, especially as it moves eastward somewhat.

00Z update: Wow! This baby is impressive! Satellite seems to indicate some tight rotation in at least two areas within this storm, so I'm expecting to see a tube here, no need to move much other than stay out of trouble. Roads in this area are not good unless I get a bit further north or south on 283 so I'll have to keep that in mind. Radar also indicates a smaller cell developing closer to the OK border along the dryline, will have to see what happens with that if this beast decides to fall apart. Glad I stayed here!

Wow! I'm on my way to that cell just north of the KS/OK border (not exactly sure of the closest city, southwest of DDC?). That thing is a monster! Hopefully the base isnt too wrapped in rain.

Wooo... the cell north of Lubbock is really looking great now. Nice uninterrupted flow to the south. Lets' hope this baby drops something other than grapefruit sized hail over the next hour or two of light ;)

***URGENT TORNADO WARNING***​

PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION​

SPOTTERS SPOTTED TORNADO....

MULTIPLE VORTEX TORNADO NEAR FM 54. TORNADO APPROXIMATELY 1/4 TO 1/2 MILE WIDE. (LUB) 11 MILES SW OF FLOYADA IN FLOYD COUNTY TEXAS. TAKE IMMEDIATE COVER. REPORTS OF WIDESPREAD DAMAGE ARE COMING IN. . .

0z

0z: No reason to move much. The Meade cell hasn't moved much, and if anything has drifted a little northward, giving me a little breathing room to move about for better positioning along US 160/US 283/ US 54. I couldn't ask for much more: Nice discreet rotating storm developing right over the motel I stayed in and moving 10mph or slower with a pretty decent chance of a few tubes. I love western KS! I might just go ahead and book another night in the Dalton Bedpost, if it hasn't been taken out by now...oh wait, there's an east and a west location just a few blocks apart. What are the chances both Dalton Bedpost Motel locations were hit?

Was offline all day yesterday, so catching up on updates.

22z - Sticking with the plan to drop south on the developing cell coming up from the OK/KS border in the area of Meade, KS. Going to stick with the SW KS area vs. trying to race north while those cells move away from me. Now to move through the rest of the updates and see how big of a mistake this could be.

23z - On the cell near Meade, KS watching the cell get better and better organized!

0z - Still on the cell near Meade, KS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back