Texas Tech WRF going behind pay wall

Randy Jennings

Supporter
Saw the following notice today on the Texas Tech WRF:

ATTENTION USERS OF THE TTU WRF AND ENSEMBLE FORECASTING SYSTEMS:

For the past several years, these forecasting systems have been maintained for free public use. However, given the expanded use of the systems' output by private entities for commercial purposes and the need to maintain the systems by securing supporting funds, the difficult choice has been made to limit access to our partners and clients who are actively supporting the systems' continued operations.

Therefore, beginning February 1, 2021, all forecasts will be accessible only to those who have been provided a username and password.

Should you find these forecasts of value to your home or business and would like to continue having access to them, we would ask that you please contact either Dr. Brian Ancell (brian.ancell at ttu.edu) or Dr. Timothy Sliwinski (timothy.sliwinski at ttu.edu) so we may provide you with details of how you can support the ongoing operation of the TTU WRF and Ensemble forecasting systems. Thank you.

I have not inquired about the price. I have used it some to aid in chase forecasting, usually when other models conflict. It only covers the southern plains for the deterministic run, and has limited soundings. I've found it to be pretty good at what it does cover. Their UI is not as nice as some sites, but it does have a cool sounding slider function where you can see a forecast sounding change over time.

Back