Storms of the decade: the 2010s (pre-discussion)

I think the May 18, 2013 Rozel, KS tornado needs to be included. Gorgeous EF-4 visible from almost any direction, and (including video captures), probably the most photographed bolt of lightning in history right next to it. From a chase standpoint, hard to beat, and there were lots of chasers on it, so it meets the criteria in that regard, too.

Not to get OT but as this thread makes me look at the decade and I realize just how many stellar events there were, I feel a profound sense of regret over missing more of them than I witnessed - some because they were simply outside of my annual two-week chase vacations, but plenty where I simply blew it on forecast, storm selection, or some other field error... Well, I guess chasing is like baseball where a relatively low success rate in absolute terms is still considered a good batting average.

I want to nominate the 10/4/13 Wayne, NE tornado. There were other significant tornadoes that day to the east in Iowa that would add to the significance of the day. That being said, I believe the Wayne tornado was the biggest of the day (1.4 miles wide) and also had the biggest societal impact since it hit a pretty good portion of Wayne. Not the prettiest tornado and not a prolific day in terms of video/pictures, but given the time of year (especially for the geographic location) it was quite a unique/rare setup. Throw in the blizzard in western South Dakota from the same system and you can see how impressive the storm system really was.

Last edited:
On the topic of prolific events in unusual places during unusual times, I'll toss in 3/02/2012. Again, not a particularly chaseable event, but in terms of how unusual it is for that region to have a sizable outbreak at any time of year, let alone in March, I think it at least deserves a mention. Not to mention I believe this event holds the title for the largest March outbreak on record.

For sheer rarity of a significant attribute, it's pretty hard to go against Jeff's two picks. In terms of pure chase quality, there are just too many for me to narrow it down to 2-3, so I'll abstain for now.

Since someone mentioned 4 October 2013, I thought it was worth pointing out how impressive that day was in its own right. Two storms with wedges over 1 mi. in width, in the Plains, both easily visible (even if somewhat obscured by rain at times), both during the day and well before sunset. It's not hard to go several years without getting that out of an individual setup in the Plains. To get it in October is rather phenomenal.

I won't even try and claim that I am unbiased, but the Rochelle-Fairdale tornado on April 9, 2015 deserves some consideration as an individual storm that produced an extremely strong, photogenic, long-track tornado that is as legendary among chasers in this area of the country as many of the strongest and most significant tornadoes in the Southern Plains. Its motion and the stance it took as it seemed to tilt forward as it moved still get to me. If I remember correctly it was the first EF4- or 5-strength tornado in the Chicago warning area since Plainfield.

On the topic of photogenic tornadoes, May 7, 2016 in Wray, Colorado absolutely blows my mind. A quarter mile wide drillbit similar in a lot of ways to Simla with some unbelievable close range footage from a bunch of angles is hard to beat. Just one of many reasons I really hate myself for not chasing in May of 2016.

Thanks to all who have contributed their thoughts and opinions so far. I am going to let this initial stage of discussion and nomination thoroughly run its course before moving on to the next step, and I hope that many more weigh in before then.

At this point I am getting the sense that it would probably be better to develop a set of categories (hinted at by @Dan Robinson 's post) to eliminate the difficulty with distinguishing between which qualities make one event better than another. I think the following broad types of categories may work:
-meteorological significance: severe report count extremes, seasonal/geographic/diurnal anomalies etc.
-scientific significance, e.g., measurement extremes
-aesthetic qualities: most photogenic, most thoroughly documented, best available videos
-human impact
-miscellaneous, e.g., unexpected events, overperforming events, events outside the typical tornado alley

Feel free to suggest specific categories as well.

The categories identified are a good start. I agree you cannot lump everything together, but everyone can have favorite storms by category and favorite storms within a category.

For me the two most significant categories are 1) best experience, which Dan R. has captured well in his spreadsheet with factors like minutes of goodness, quality of goodness, etc.

2) Most significant meteorologic events, or most perfect hail or tornado machines. These are "perfect" storms (born in "perfect" environments, ultimate power or longevity). Joplin, El Reno, Moore, Vivian hailstone, plenty more...but also Laramie 2018, Campo 2010, and events that are unexpected but in the end, great setups in their way. Maybe some would call these separate categories, but to me they are all the same category- significant because they highlight the environment that made them and showcase the margins that are possible. These are Moore '99 and Jarrell '97 type events that are simply fascinating. To me this second category does not require personal witness to the event, just notable power, features, or rarity that few storms reach.

The other categories to me get lost in the noise to these two. Either I was there and it was amazing for the experience, or the sheer power, perfection, or oddity of a storm I did not witness makes it a 'classic' to read about for all time.

Edited because I forgot what decade we were in, and for clarity. :p

Last edited:
Would also like to nominate April 9 2011 in Northwest Iowa. Not for photogenic quality because most of the event was after dark. However I believe at one point before 10pm (955-10pm) there were at least 4 tornadoes on the ground with this one cell near Pocohontas, Iowa including a 1.5 mile wide EF3 and correct me if I’m wrong, the EF4 in that area was a satellite of that large tornado? I had a hard time finding information to determine for sure since there was so many in that small area, but based on the time frames given by NWS DMX it seems possible. Nevertheless to see a single storm produce roughly 17 (possibly more?) tornadoes is very impressive in its own right and I think it deserves a mention. Whole event kinda reminded me of Greensburg. I should note I chased the next day instead so I have no ties to this event personally :)

Would also like to nominate April 9 2011 in Northwest Iowa. Not for photogenic quality because most of the event was after dark. However I believe at one point before 10pm (955-10pm) there were at least 4 tornadoes on the ground with this one cell near Pocohontas, Iowa including a 1.5 mile wide EF3 and correct me if I’m wrong, the EF4 in that area was a satellite of that large tornado? I had a hard time finding information to determine for sure since there was so many in that small area, but based on the time frames given by NWS DMX it seems possible. Nevertheless to see a single storm produce roughly 17 (possibly more?) tornadoes is very impressive in its own right and I think it deserves a mention. Whole event kinda reminded me of Greensburg. I should note I chased the next day instead so I have no ties to this event personally :)

I'm glad someone brought up this event. I did chase this event and it gave me my first legitimate nighttime tornadoes. Rather unusual for early April that far north, and I recall the cap was pretty strong south of the warm front to limit convective coverage, thus making the chase easier. I missed Mapleton because I was too far east, and was sort of down on the day when we suddenly saw the first nighttime twisters churning miles to the north. That's when it all started.

But yeah, this is a pretty good contender for the "miscellaneous" category given now unusual it was. Seriously, read some of the event narratives in the Storm Events Database. They're pretty sick. Check out this one:

Storm Events Database said:
An intense EF4 satellite tornado on the west flank of a large wedge tornado passing through western Pocahontas county. This tornado approached from the northwest and completely destroyed a home leaving little debris at the site. Grove of mature hardwood trees near the home was decimated and debarked and a large combine in the machine shed was tossed and rolled several hundred feet. This tornado also absorbed the circulation of an EF2 satellite tornado.

-aesthetic qualities: No doubt, Campo. There may have been other events with more tornadoes to photograph, but this was the **perfect** shot, coming from a photographer. Subject matter, composition, contrast, etc. The road leading to the tornado was an extra bonus and really gave the shot depth. I do plan to better Bogg's shot next year, so we still have a year to go.... :)

Thanks to all who have contributed their thoughts and opinions so far. I am going to let this initial stage of discussion and nomination thoroughly run its course before moving on to the next step, and I hope that many more weigh in before then.

At this point I am getting the sense that it would probably be better to develop a set of categories (hinted at by @Dan Robinson 's post) to eliminate the difficulty with distinguishing between which qualities make one event better than another. I think the following broad types of categories may work:
-meteorological significance: severe report count extremes, seasonal/geographic/diurnal anomalies etc.
-scientific significance, e.g., measurement extremes
-aesthetic qualities: most photogenic, most thoroughly documented, best available videos
-human impact
-miscellaneous, e.g., unexpected events, overperforming events, events outside the typical tornado alley

Feel free to suggest specific categories as well.

I think it’s striking how many of these categories El Reno 5/31/13 would be a leading contender in: meteorological significance, check; scientific significance (measurement extremes), check; aesthetic qualities - maybe that’s not what immediately comes to mind, but if this category includes “most thoroughly documented” as defined above, then definitely, and the videos are definitely among the most dramatic; human impact, maybe not in terms of sheer numbers or a large town/city, but of course this box was checked in a most tragic, unfortunate way and very close to home for our community; and definitely the miscellaneous category as defined, with a most “unexpected” and tragic event that was a watershed moment for chasers.

I was not there, having stupidly kept my scheduled flight home instead of rescheduling for Saturday morning (although there were some family reasons for doing so), so I am not biased about any chase experience of my own.

Back