Northern Plains Blizzard 11/27/-11/28

You chasing this then Scott? Safe travels if so. I'm leaving right now towards O'Neill for the night. So that nasty scenerio on the eta for tomorrow will just dissapear now. I hate when things looks so good before the show only to see starved radars all day long the day of.

You chasing this then Scott? Safe travels if so. I'm leaving right now towards O'Neill for the night. So that nasty scenerio on the eta for tomorrow will just dissapear now. I hate when things looks so good before the show only to see starved radars all day long the day of.

Yeah I know how that is :). Im awaiting the 18z models to decide whether I should head to Huron, SD and find a nice motel to setup the webcams. I finished setting up a webpage and feed to broadcast them live but orignally I was just going to keep one here and go out tommorow and travel around locally showing the blowing snow, drifts etc. But since the GFS only accumulates 5 inches at most and the NAM a pathetic 2.50 inches I am thinking about heading out to Huron, SD. Good luck in O'Niel!

I'll probably stay here and go out and shoot some stuff tommorow. Huron doesn't look to be getting any accumulations much greater than what we will get here. the 18z NAM still looks on track with good agreement of 15-20"+ of snow in South Central SD and 6-10" across parts of NE and SD. The NAM still is very slow to make the switchover to snow (6 hours off the GFS in some spots) but this time around produces 6-7 inches of snow in my area after 18z Monday. This is consistent with the 12z NCEP-NMM WRF and the GFS having a larger area of 4-8" general accumulations.

EDIT: Looks like they pulled the Trigger for parts of Nebraska for a Blizzard Warning. I would also expect FSD to do the same for SC SD/C SD.

I guess that "hint" of convective instability has definitely made itself known. A SPC MD indicates "plentiful CG lightning in the precip over central KS.

If any of you do observe lightning with this snowstorm, please follow the link that was posted in the "Thundersnow!" thread to report it to the group at the University of Missouri that is studying thundersnow events.

Posting real quick before I lose power. I barely made it to O'Neill. I drove into a whole new world once I got out of Neligh. The crops started looking grey(ice!!!!). Pretty soon I'm in a raining winter wonderland. Trees are already down. Some were spilt perfectly down the middle with branches on the ground in a cirlce. Each time I'd pass trees it was like a mini-hail storm as the strong winds were breaking off chunks of ice and ice-coated tree branch pieces. This would be enjoyable if it wasn't for the 35 miles left to go and a highway with hardly anyone on it that looked like it was a sheet of ice. I was a lot nervous between Neligh and here in O'Neill. This looks really really bad right now here as the coating is already terrible and it is just starting. Well better post as power has flickered here.

Yep... Areas of ONL, ODX, BVN, down to GRI still have that warm layer in place according to RUC soundings... Several more bursts of precipitation are gonna come through with that too, which will be freezing rain. RUC keeps this warm layer through at least 02-03Z - or several more hours.

Latest 2KM national N1P product (one hour precip totals) shows around 0.30 to 0.40 inches halfway between BBW and ONL... ONL is in the 0.10 inch range, but a higher burst of .25 inches is moving towards that area. All of those accumulations are over one hour, and that's alot of ice.

I'm wondering if the back side of this low will really be able to generate much precip again. Dry slotting looking nasty right now and just wonder what this will mean for later and tomorrow. I see the MD that just came out but have my doubts about the precip.

Power keeps surging here thanks to the pole out front swaying wildly with ice hainging 2 inches down from the line. The windows have been making that cool howling sound since I got here. Kind of fun regardless of what the precip ends up doing.

I think it's going to kind of "pin-wheel" around - probably only affecting eastern NE as the latest 00Z NAM suggests. That's really how the development of the comma-head is - the dry slot slams northward, cutting off the precipitation shield from the rest of the storm. I think the 12Z and 18Z runs picked that up pretty well too... Overall, my original forecast graphic remains the same, I still think south/central SD will see the heaviest (Pierre and Huron) with +18 inches.

http://69.14.190.10/images/outlook.GIF

Where is everyone located now so I can keep tabs?

EDIT: Wow, there are some real nice eddies swirling up on the backside of the 500MB jet, evident on the WV loop :shock:

Have been hearing reports on radio and television of problems on the I-90 between Mitchell and Sioux Falls. Some accidents most likely due to icing.

In Huron:

HEAVY ICE ACCUMULATION IN HURON. TREES DOWN...POWER LINES
DOWN AND POWER IS OUT IN SOME PARTS OF HURON.

30F at surface and above freezing at 850-800mb quite a potent icing potiental.

Chamberlain:
SEVERAL ACCIDENTS AND ROLLOVERS

Im worried about the same thing happening here after 9z as the new NAM shows a similar profile for us.

New development in the dryslot coming around for snow. Sweet! Jinx

Snowfall forecast

The first major winter storm of the season will affect the upper-Midwest through the next 24 hrs.

Snowfall totals through Tuesday:
10â€￾ – 14â€￾ along and 30mi either side of a Bassett, NE to Aberdeen, SD line.
Expect little or no new snowfall west of a Sterling, CO/Rapid City/Minot/Devils Lake, ND line.
Expect 1 inch or less east of an Albert Lea to MPX to Park Falls, WI line.

Discussion:
01Z analysis shows vertically stacked, closing low with a 984mb SFC reflection between CNK and SLN in KS. An impressive area of deformation zone related snowfall has developed to the NW of a HLC to SUX line, and freezing rain is currently reported in ERN NE and SD. Freezing rain will increase across ERN SD and SERN ND over the next few hours. Given copious moisture transport WWRD into the ERN Dakotas as mixing ratios of around 8g/Kg are isentropically lifted over 290K through 296K surfaces at rates of up to –10ub/s, expect ice accumulations in excess of 0.05 inches/hr. The 01Z H85 0C isotherm, which was creeping EWRD at 10 mph, extended along an EAR to 9V9 to HON line.

Further W in SWRN NE, frequent lightning has been associated with the snowfall, probably owing to convection resulting from elevated instability in a region of frontogenesis in the H7 and H85 levels. In the short term, the CF aloft will translate slowly EWRD, resulting in a slow EWRD progression of the snowfall. In addition to the heavy snowfall in progress, very strong winds are resulting in blizzard conditions NW of the low. LBF reports NNW winds 41 mph gusting to 51 mph. Additionally, these winds increase to well over 50 kts just 100mb off the SFC per LBF sounding.

Tonight:
SFC low will slowly deepen and track to the NE, reaching WCNTRL IA by 12Z. Significant moisture will then wrap around stacked low between H85 and H7 levels, which will slow and then reverse what appears to be a dry-slotting trend in NE and KS. With the slow EWRD progression of the CF aloft, expect the snow line to reach an International Falls to Aberdeen to Hastings line through 06Z with a 50 mile-wide band of freezing rain along the ERN edge of the snowfall in the Dakotas and MN. By 12Z, the precipitation changeover will only move 50mi to the E, at which time much of the ERN Dakotas and WRN MN will be in an area of very strong upper-jet (H25) diffluence and associated strong PVA and Divergence. Use 6:1 ratio near the snowfall/freezing rain line, and a 12:1 ratio further to the N and W in CNTRL NE/SD, and all of ND.

Looking ahead – tomorrow through Tuesday:
Cyclone continues slow NEWRD progression as it occludes, reaching MPX by 06Z tomorrow night. Meanwhile, TROWAL (TRough Of Warm Air aLoft), develops along an International Falls to Fargo line tomorrow night through Tuesday morning. The TROWAL axis shows up well on the H85 300K to 304K isentropes on the NAM and GFS charts, and will result in a prolonged period of snowfall as the storm slowly lifts to towards the NE

- bill.

0z GFS looks much better than the NAM in terms of snowfall.

Nice 15z-18z snowfall of 5-6" across SE SD into SW MN. GFS still showing switchover to snow quicker than NAM, NAM would also have similar values if it brought it's 850mb temps down a little quicker.

http://204.2.104.196/WINTER_GFS0P5_SFC_SNO...OWFALL_18HR.gif

Large area of 20+ inches indicated by GFS the part in SC SD agreed by most models/differences in accumulation in E/SD mostly due to timing of switchover. Now we got 20+ inches down into where Mike is located.
http://204.2.104.196/WINTER_GFS0P5_SFC_ACC...M-SNOW_36HR.gif

Back