New chase case#5

I remember that chase day well...sat in Oberlin KS when stuff fired everywhere. Heard the tornado warnings and raced off to Yuma Co. and watched a VERY bizarre supercell (had the incredible appearance of being THE actual surface low) spin hard. The violence of the winds above was stunning. Then cold air came in (temps. in the 40's in rain/hailed cooled air). Decided to drop that supercell "chase" and head back to I-70. Saw the supercell to the distant south from Colby but time we got to it, things were dark and all of the "night-nadoes" started to be sighted around the Garden City area. It was a tremendous night for snakes on the road that night. Have never seen that many bull snakes in my life...Rich Thies and I were just stunned after a while...and a little pissed to see the supercell 50 miles away and tornado-ing. Justin Teague and Dave Crowley nailed that one...

Yep nice work that night Justin & Dave....one of those nice classic KS beauties. The dryline really paid off and the WF well...lets say it was a mess with huge hail and gundge. Here is the write up on the very strong tornado in Grant Co. KS
from the NWS Dodge City:

This tornado traveled into Kearny county before roping out. At 2ne of Ulysses part of a barn roof was blown off and a large tree was uprooted. Several horses were slightly injured. Then at 5ne of Ulysses an abandoned mobile home was destroyed. At six miles northeast of Ulysses, two pivot sprinklers were mangled, large trees were snapped at the base and several power poles were destroyed. Several grain bins (full of wheat) were completely swept away and the grain was scattered for some distance. Remnants of the grain bins were not found in the local vicinity. Farther northeast along the track several more pivot sprinklers were destroyed. It is estimated that if this tornado had made a direct hit, it would have likely caused at least high-end F3 damage. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pics, Justin. I had seen one vidcap of the nice cone before, but your images are clearer. It just makes me that much more irritated that we busted so hard this day when our gut had the right idea all along. I'm glad someone was there to document it. Nice work!

Same result as Case 6 for me - a virtual bust in the TX panhandle. In real life, I did not chase this day, but if I had, I likely would have benefitted from the "close to home" bias, since there actually were severe storms and one tornado in IL, while NOTHING happened in the panhandle!

I did well on this one. Chose to hang in Liberal, KS so I probably could have made an intercept [assuming I didnt get a flat tire or something] Its a good lesson to not get lured away from the DL on marginal setup days...glad I didnt go east!

I didnt chase this one in real life...and so far im 0-5 at actually chasing and knowing the dates before the end of these cases. I guess thats what I get for being a local chaser only up until 2006.

Thanks again!

Incredible images,Justin!
When I was in my bed in motel 6 at night and I saw that cone on the Tv I was fainting! That was an amazing shape: I like so much the perfectly circular meso aloft and the large cone with that amazing shape down in the middle.

Just a quick glance of this virtual chase, I picked the Goodland, KS as a starting point, and probably would've been worried about finding a gas station in the Yuma county area that was open. LOL!

Back