Long-Time GPS Users: still buying maps?

Originally posted by Jay McCoy+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jay McCoy)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Amos Magliocco
But let me restate this since we all agree on their value: How often do you replace your paper maps?

I tend to agree with Tim that every couple years makes sense--maybe as many as four?

Guess I missed the target of this one :oops:

I replace mine about every 2 years barring any damage to the maps.[/b]

Damage to the maps is something I'd forgotten about. The Rand-McNalleys still get good and beat up because I'm constantly grabbing it out of the spot between the console and the passenger seat, but the others are safe and sound in the duffle bag in the back.

Those old Roads Of and Gazetters took a beating back in the day, however. I was chasing in Wichita Falls, Texas the only time my GPS failed me, about four years ago. The whole laptop died, so it wasn't really a GPS issue, but there I was. Normally Wichita Falls is okay if you stay on the highway and get from one end to the other, but I was OFF 287, actually chasing a storm I thought was about to tornado in in the city itself.

I had never exited 287 at SPS for anything other than food or gas, and lots of Texas chasers can tell you that it's not the easiest town to navigate. Half the time you get lost just trying to re-enter the highway. So when my laptop crapped out, I reached in the backseat, unzipped the duffle bag, and dug for my Roads of Texas (not the greatest for towns, really). When I pulled it from the stack, it fell apart, cover and pages and all. LOL. Needless to say, the storm got away.

I tend to keep my maps until all the pages start falling out - for the Rand McNally Road Atlas that tends to be every 3 years or so. The Atlas and Gazetteer series I have are going on their 5th year now and are still in pretty good shape. For me updating the Atlas and Gazetteer is not as much of a priority since the state highways and secondary roads tend not to change that much....at least not as much as the main US Highways and Interstates do. I recall back in 1999 realizing my copy of the Rand McNally Road Atlas was too old when it didn't have US 400 on it.

I keep the "Roads of..." of KS, TX and OK behind the seat. My TX one is held together with duct tape...They haven't had much use since the GPS became a part of my family....However, I have purchased and heavily used the laminated Rand McNally state maps. I can try to ready those while driving more easily and more quickly than zooming in/out on the GPS maps...GF

I still have my original Roads of Texas. At least most of it. It looks like something the dog spit up. I think I got it in 90 or 91
I have a stack of Roads of/Gazetteers in all different conditions about 8 inches high.

I still have my original Roads of Texas. At least most of it. It looks like something the dog spit up. I think I got it in 90 or 91
I have a stack of Roads of/Gazetteers in all different conditions about 8 inches high.

Sounds like mine. :lol: I think this year I am going to have to replace it finally. I keep a few state maps I chase in the most and get a new Rand McNally every year for free from the insurance company.

Street Atlas has been my primary guide for a few years now. This year I also have Topo so I am interested in testing some theories with this.

my dad still has a ton of road maps of the midwest from the 1970s..still refuses to get a current one. :roll:

Back