Long Range Forecast Threads

The other day I was noticing how the “Future of the season” thread has gotten quite large. Also, in the past hasn't threads with similar themes popped up every year? Perhaps this type of thread should become a permanent fixture of Storm Track. Perhaps we could have forecast threads devoted to forecasting weeks or further out? While much of long term forecasting is allot of “wishcasting”, it does seem to me some large patterns can start to become apparent a ways out. Perhaps by doing this the information could become better organized, and would provide more useful discussions about future trends. Just wanted to throw this out there and see what people thought…

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a good idea, Ive learned allot from that thread.

Those are the kinds of discussions I like, people posting what they see in the models and what they think they will happen and why. Comparing the patterns with years past and hearing those who have been chasing a long time shead insight on how similar situations have played out in the past.

I like and read the long range threads, too, but I don't see any real need to make any changes to the current system. Allowing "Long Range Forecast:" type threads in TA seems superficially to be a cool idea, but really the present system works well and TA is cluttered enough already. The other possibility for making long range threads a "permanent fixture" would be to have one as a sticky thread in the Advanced Weather Discussion forum, but I don't really like that idea either. The current system works as intended: whenever the current long range forecast becomes an interesting topic for discussion, somebody inevitably will start a thread, and that's exactly how it should be. These threads are almost always self-correcting, appearing when needed and disappearing when interest in the subject falls off. So as I see it, no changes are needed.

As others have already stated, I really enjoy reading everyones thoughts on long term trends to see if I am thinking the same thing or completely off track. I do think though there should be some better structure either by week or month. Just my thoughts.

how bout we just order a year round trough and never have to ask about the future of the season! lol

but in all seriousness, I really enjoyed having the thread.. in situations like this year it was valuable and SDS relieving to see this coming..

Back