GPS function WX Worx

fplowman

Im sure everyone who uses this system had to configure the GPS functionality. Was it challenging?

I have a Bluetooth GPS.. and Franson GPS gate... I have been able to use the GPS in Delorme and GR level at the same time. However when trying to applicate the same functionality I am unable to get GPS data in WX Worx.. Any pointers or hints?

GIVE THE BARON WEATHER WORX GUYS A CALL. THEY ARE USUALLY VERY HELPFUL. I USED THEIR GPS RECEIVER THE FIRST YEAR I HAD WXWORX BUT I DIDNT LIKE THE ACCUARACY SO I JUST USE A HANDHELD GPS AND THE MAPS ON MY PC. I THINK THEY HAVE A A BLUETOOTH UPGRADE TO WXWORX NOW AS WELL.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS. THAT BUTTON IS STUCK AT PRESENT

Im sure everyone who uses this system had to configure the GPS functionality. Was it challenging?

I have a Bluetooth GPS.. and Franson GPS gate... I have been able to use the GPS in Delorme and GR level at the same time. However when trying to applicate the same functionality I am unable to get GPS data in WX Worx.. Any pointers or hints?
[/b]

It actually is very easy to set up. I use a usb cabled Delorme receiver. I use one receiever for both my WXWorks and my Delorme mapping. I use the free Delorme virtual port program which Delorme lets you download for free. It works very similar to GPS gate.

Did you go to the set up button on the Barons software and tell it, in the GPS section, what virtual port your using? You will have to use a seperate virtual port for each device using the GPS reciever.
I am only specualting here, but I would think that once your bluetooth receiver is sending the signal to your laptop and your ports are set up, that the barons could read it.

Hank
www.weatherpic.com

It actually is very easy to set up. I use a usb cabled Delorme receiver. I use one receiever for both my WXWorks and my Delorme mapping. I use the free Delorme virtual port program which Delorme lets you download for free. It works very similar to GPS gate.

Did you go to the set up button on the Barons software and tell it, in the GPS section, what virtual port your using? You will have to use a seperate virtual port for each device using the GPS reciever.
I am only specualting here, but I would think that once your bluetooth receiver is sending the signal to your laptop and your ports are set up, that the barons could read it.

Hank
www.weatherpic.com
[/b]

Hey Hank can you use Delorme GPS and WXWorks at the same time?? Do you use the Delorme GPS or the WXWorks one? Just wondering how to get the two to work togther and use one GPS not two.

Hey Hank can you use Delorme GPS and WXWorks at the same time?? Do you use the Delorme GPS or the WXWorks one? Just wondering how to get the two to work togther and use one GPS not two.
[/b]

Yes, you can use both at the same time with only one GPS reciever. You have to download the Dlorme virtual port from their website. You will then be able to use gps on both wxworx and delorme mapping at the same time.

[/b]

If you go to
http://www.delorme.com/support/supporttemplate.aspx?id=217
you can download the free virtual port program, this will allow you to use up to 3 devices at the same time using only one receiver.

Yes, you can use both at the same time with only one GPS reciever. You have to download the Dlorme virtual port from their website. You will then be able to use gps on both wxworx and delorme mapping at the same time.
If you go to
you can download the free virtual port program, this will allow you to use up to 3 devices at the same time using only one receiver.
[/b]

Thanks Hank!
Does it matter if you use the Delorme GPS or the one that comes with WXWorks?

Thanks Hank!
Does it matter if you use the Delorme GPS or the one that comes with WXWorks?
[/b]

Wx worx does not come with a GPS receiver, that i am aware of, all it comes with is the xm radio receiver. Unless they have one I am not aware of. The antenna that comes with your wxworx will not act as a gps receiver. You have to have a seperate one, I use the delorme LT-20 with 2006 available at delorme.com for $ 99.00

Hank
www.weatherpic.com

I have a GPS its a Bluetooth device.. I have created a virtual port in franson however I go into baron and go to the GPS setup menu and put in the port I created and set it.. Then exit application and re enter and click on gps with no data showing.

I thought I remember David Drummond posting awhile back about the difficulty of linking the gps in the application.

Fred, I have done what Hank is talking about. All you need is the one GPS receiver, I know this works with the Delorme one. Go to their site and download this:

This is assuming you have the USB Delorme GPS receiver (Earthmate?). This will give you a number of serial ports for the GPS which should be more than enough for your various software you want to use it on.

It may be necessary to load the Emulator before starting any of your programs. It will go ahead and lock on the signal, even has a little utility you can monitor what the receiver is doing with the satellite signals. Once it's looked on, you should be able to run your mapping programs, your WXWORX and whatever else.

I have personally ran all of these simultaniously with GPS on this: Delorme Street Atlas 2006, Delorme Topo, GRLevel3, WXWORX. It works very well.

One thing I have noted, it sometimes seems to freak it out if you plug your GPS into a differnt USB outlet from the one you had it plugged in to the first time when you originally had it working, so try and be consistant with which port you plug it in to. I suspect that's just a Window thang though.

I also noted that WXWORX sometimes won't put up a GPS on the map with some of the come ports the emulator makes available. I have worked around that by just choosing another one that did work.

Of course all bets are probably off with another GPS device using this.

I have a GPS its a Bluetooth device.. I have created a virtual port in franson however I go into baron and go to the GPS setup menu and put in the port I created and set it.. Then exit application and re enter and click on gps with no data showing.

I thought I remember David Drummond posting awhile back about the difficulty of linking the gps in the application.
[/b]

I did try the Franson GPS gate and did not care for it. It was to smart for me. I do prefer the delorme virtual port program that David is talking about. Its very straight forward, simple and you know when its on and when its not. I use virtual ports 2 and 5 for my Delorme maps and Wx worx. I hope this helps, its always a pain to get everything going at the start of every year. One suggestion may be just to disable the GPS gate and try the Delorme virtual port program to see if it works. Its very simple to install and run. Just to see if this makes any difference.

Hank
www.weatherpic.com

I did try the Franson GPS gate and did not care for it. It was to smart for me. I do prefer the delorme virtual port program that David is talking about. Its very straight forward, simple and you know when its on and when its not. I use virtual ports 2 and 5 for my Delorme maps and Wx worx. I hope this helps, its always a pain to get everything going at the start of every year. One suggestion may be just to disable the GPS gate and try the Delorme virtual port program to see if it works. Its very simple to install and run. Just to see if this makes any difference.

Hank
www.weatherpic.com
[/b]

When you open up Barons is the GPS button at the top blue or Maroon?

Back