Furnace on the Great Plains: 7/10/09

As if the heat was not enough....looks like a smoke plume on radar in Major Co. from a brush fire. May take a while for the cap to cool down after this firecracker day.

Unbelievable.....I thought SPC's latest MD wording of "SFC Temps of 110 to 117" was a typo at first. I had really been paying attention to the area but now see Alva's latest reading at 117. WOW that is warm.

It's looking that this heat wave is in it's waning days after Tuesday the 14th. Several runs of the GFS and now the Euro backs the ridge all the way into the 4 corners by the end of the week, putting us in a NW flow aloft along with more seasonable temps. In addition, subtle mid level impulses could trigger MCS activity that forms over CO.&KS. to move into OK and N.TX. in the overnight and early morning hours. Best chances of rain will be from early Fri. AM through the weekend.

Meanwhile, I feel bad for folks in AZ. Their monsoon will pretty much shut down and the chances are there that some places that traditionally bake, may hit 120F. BTW: I read on the PHX Disc. that the MEX. upper air data has been missing for the last couple of weeks. What's the reason for this?

Stay cool.

Ya beat me to the good news Rocky. Arctic blast looks like it's headed our way with temps dropping into the lower 90's for us here in north TX. May get to see some Lightning later on in the week too.

BTW, can't wait till the first real arctic blast. Always love sitting outside watching that low blue bank of clouds roll in and the chilly air that follows a long hot Texas/Oklahoma summer.

Heat to be extremely dangerous next couple days. Hadn't had a heat wave like this in a while. Rain chances look to be increasing towards end of week with NW flow aloft a sure bet as high drifts west.

Come on October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back